B7100 clutch Pilot bushing not tight in crank

MMudd

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jun 3, 2014
Cnetral MO
I had poster earlier about premature clutch failure on recently purchased B7100 HST. I have split tractor , got parts, started to put back together, but seems my crankshaft hole is worn so that pilot bushing does not fit tight at all. This likely caused the failure. clutch shook apart due to slop. Assume I will need to find a larger OD diameter bushing that accepts the imput shaft and machine the crank to fit? Wonder if there is possibility of a repair sleeve and still use factory bushing? Obviously tractor was run this way too long causing this to happen. I'm thinking a bronze bushing that will fit in crank properly would be a better repair. I can't be first one to have this happen looking at cheesy factory bushing. Tell me I'm not more screwed on this tractor please!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your not screwed :) if the holes loose where the bearing goes, then it's probably not even, so it would need to be checked before you just tap a bushing in it. Having it machined by a machine shop would be the best. And if you have a new bearing to go in, they could press in a sleeve so it could except the original size. Some one else may have some other options that would work too:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you trying to replace it with a new bearing with the nylon sleeve on the outside?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I was installing some bushings on my backhoe and the ID of the hole was slightly larger than the OD of the bushing. I knurled the outer surface on my lathe which actually increased the OD of the bushing. Not sure how or if this would work for you. Certainly not if the hole is out of round.

MMudd

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jun 3, 2014
Cnetral MO
Follow up on my repair. I ended up getting a bronze bushing which fit in the hole in crankshaft and machined out the center of the bushing to fit the input shaft. Got it back together and so far it's working good. I think (hope) it will be a lasting repair. The original kubota bronze /teflon bushing looks like it is designed to not last very long even if the fit was good. It is very thin and the bronze outer ring is not even a solid circle. Much easier to engage the PTO now!