B7001D Solenoid and Starter replacement

Olive Farmer

Equipment
B7001D
May 15, 2019
UK
Hi All,
I have been having issues with the solenoid and starter unit on my B7001D. The solenoid is intermittently pulling in, I gave it a few taps to try and free it but I think it is time for replacement as I need it to be reliable.

A thank you already to the forums as I diagnosed the problem with old threads. I am fairly confident it is the solenoid as I have tested the black/white wire from the keyswitch (putting the key in the crank position makes the -ve connection). I also disconnected the solenoid and tried it so I could watch it. Along the way I discovered I do not have a clutch safety switch in the circuit so there was no need to be pushing the clutch on startup all these years... good habit for other tractors though.

I have found two aftermarket options as possible replacements, the original power version 0.8kW, and a '4th generation' 1.4kW. The '4th generation' is actually a 1/3rd cheaper. Should I go with a direct like for like, or does anybody have experience with this 1.4kW version?

Or should I get my existing one rewound? It is going to be a little bit more expensive than the cost of a new a aftermarket one, but is the build quality of original starters better?

Thanks in advance

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I may not understand what you're saying. Rewound? I don't think they rewind a solenoid unless it's a REALLY big one. If your solenoid is actually the culprit it would probably be replaced. A starter repair shop could give you the full story but would probably have to put the unit on the bench to see. You could set your existing starter unit aside and opt for the newer 1.4 KW version. If it fits it should be a more robust unit. If not you've got the old one available to be rebuilt.

Reactions: 1 user

Olive Farmer

Equipment
B7001D
May 15, 2019
UK
Hi Roadworthy, thanks for the reply.

I spoke to a mechanic who specializes in older vehicles, he said I could get both the starter and solenoid rewound. They do these for classic vehicles when parts are tricky to get hold of, but I have found a few aftermarket parts sellers, so I would only do the rewind if the original unit was better quality.

I wouldn't say the solenoid was massive, I have attached a picture of the whole unit, and of just the solenoid when I was testing it off the battery using the keyswitch. I kept tapping it with the handle of a hammer to free it up in case it was jammed, and I did manage to get it to pull in a few times but I need it to be reliable, so it has to be fixed or changed.

solenoid and starter.jpg
Whole unit. Paint chips from hammer tapping, yes I know the black/white lead is off in this photo!
test solenoid.jpg
After I tested all the wiring was sound I reconnected the solenoid to test it like this.

I have not found a seller for the solenoid on it's own yet, but I think I would go with a complete new unit to replace this either way. Thanks.

Olive Farmer

Equipment
B7001D
May 15, 2019
UK
Hi billrigsby,

Thanks for the tip always good to learn about sellers for B7001 parts. I am in the UK and it seems this starter goes in a lot of different vehicles here, even cars. there are quite a few sellers.

This 1.4kW version £67, here is a link:

FITS KUBOTA MODEL B1600/B1702/B7100/NX1100/RX1100 1981-ON NEW STARTER MOTOR | eBay

or a standard one, cheapest I have found is £66, looks like the same one as the one in the photo from your link in Greece:

New Starter Motor For Kubota D722 Z400 Z600 Z500C Z600 Komatsu Mitsubishi Engine | eBay

That is including P&P so it is not too expensive, I £66 is about $92 equivalent at the moment. I was just not sure if pushing up the power of the starter would give me another problem in a +40 year old machine. I know they is built solid, but I can break anything!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would go with the newer version. It will spin engine faster and start easier.

Reactions: 1 user

Olive Farmer

Equipment
B7001D
May 15, 2019
UK
I would go with the newer version. It will spin engine faster and start easier.
Thanks Russell, that is a good point, I'll opt for that. I'll check the positive cable size between the battery and the starter as the 1.4kW is nearly double the current (67A to 117A). A short starter burst shouldn't blow it, but over time might weaken the insulation. I can always up the size if it is too small, it is not very long, only reaches round the back of the fuel tank.

Thanks all