B7001 4WD, manual shift - Front wheels locking

DuckInn

Equipment
B7001. 4WD. Manual shift & steering. FEL
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
When I drive forward or backward about a foot, one or both of the front wheels lock. (May only the right-hand wheel - as viewed from the seat).

Seems to happen only in 2WD; when in 4WD, it appears to go more than a foot without locking but I didn't try more than a couple of feet.

Before this happened, on the odd occasion I'd feel a 'hitch' in the front wheels. (Reminded me of my '73 Mercury Capri when it was losing a front wheel bearing.)

I don't have much experience with repairing motor vehicles. I'll ask my local mechanic to look at my tractor, but first I wanted to seek advice from OTT.
I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer on:
- what the problems is,
- how to do problem determination/isolation,
- what parts are broken / should be replaced at the same time
- whether those parts on my grey-market tractor are the same for the B7100 (sold in Canada - for which I have parts & operator manuals).

Thanks.
[btw... My first post on OTT. Looks like oddles of expertise here.
My B7001 is used for moving rocks, gravel, earth, wood, etc. around my cottage and my neighbours' cottages. I'm very fond of it. ]

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Probably the rear universal joint on the driveshaft from the transmission to the front axle. It could be a lot of other things but that is where I'd look first!
Ed

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the suggestion re u joint, Ed. My mechanic wiggled the shaft and found a little slop but it didn't seem locked. He's looking into it this week. Any other suggestions are welcome.

janis

Equipment
l1-455
Dec 13, 2011
Latvia
I have problem that frond wheel drive is locking off on L1-455, I adjusted the manual knob, but the problem remins it is locking off regulary, maybe somebody has Idea what could be the problem?

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My mechanic found that the front differential crown gear and pinion have some damaged teeth.Looks like a previous repair in that area was not done with the greatest of care. He thinks we just need a matched set - crown gear, pinion+shaft, and a carriage
Some questions for Vic/Ed: Do the B7100 parts fit a B7001?
Any recommendations?

JimPal

Equipment
ZEN NOH ZB7001
Jun 20, 2011
Texas
is your B7001 a kubota? I have a Zennoh ZB7001 that had almost the same problem..It would work fine in 2WD, but put it in 4Wd it would move just a yard or so, and lock up..Ran it in 2WD About 8months..Finally went into the front housing and found the differential in pieces...So far have not been able to find the parts to fit it..I was told the B7100 parts would fit..They did not..they were too large..Almost ready to buy something else..

Last edited:

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
is your B7001 a kubota? ..
Yes, I'm quite sure it's a Kubota. No sign of Zennoh or other trade-mark.

Additional details about my B7001:
manual shift 2WD/4WD. manual steering. I think the serial number is something like 015782.
The previous owner gave me a parts manual for a B7100. The pages showing front differential are well worn, which suggests this was used to get parts for the previous repairs.

Last edited:

JimPal

Equipment
ZEN NOH ZB7001
Jun 20, 2011
Texas
Is your tractor the Kubota orange.. I am thinking you have a "grey" tractor made by Kubota...I was told that B7100 parts fit mine, but I have discovered some parts fit, others do not...Vic has a parts manual for a B7001..I believe he sent me an attachment with that number on it..Dont know if that manuals parts fit my tractor because he has not contacted me since I told him what I needed..But the parts might fit your tractor..

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It's orange and it's 'grey'. That is, it was made by Kubota, officially sold in some parts of the world (Europe? Australia?) but not sold by Kubota dealers in Canada; hence, it's grey market here.

Attachments

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I've probably got those parts......take a look at this schematic and if the differential is apart, advise the gear count on both the crown and pinion gear.

View attachment 5072
Vic,
Just visited my mechanic and found that the crown gear has 37 teeth, and the pinion has 6 teeth.

I have to get the parts by mid this week if I am to get my tractor fixed in the near future (My mechanic will be 'out of service' for many weeks after this Friday.) If you have the parts and can send them by courier, that might work.
Are these parts the same on the B7100 as on my B7001?
We have 2 Kubota dealers in the area.
Thanks.

DuckInn

Equipment
Oct 13, 2011
Ontario, Canada
One last post on this thread, for all you who were wondering. The front diff bevel gear & pinion parts 66711-82810 for my (grey market) B7001 must also be used in the B7100 - A local dealer got me the parts. My mechanic installed them OK, and now I have my tractor back in time for this season's jobs.
Many thanks to ServiceDeptVic for the expert and timely help !