b7001 3 point hitch

farmerjack

Equipment
b7001
May 18, 2013
Putlitz, Germany
Hi there,

New to forum...just bought a b7001 grey import and l have a few questions regarding the function of the 3 point hitch.

The hitch seems to work very well...but l had noticed that it goes down by its self a small amount after much driving around (on rough roads with load)...not a lot but something l noticed.

Took a look around and found a small leak at the front engine pump for the hydraulics system on the lower connecting pipe (see pic)...figure this is a copper washer that need replacing. Would this be the reason the hitch slips?? Any pointers on replacing these washers would be a great help too.

I was told by dealer not a big issue to replace...might lose a little oil but should be straight forward...

Also l also want to clarify the function of the 3 point hitch....read all the manuals ect and still finding it hard to understand.

My big question is...is it normal that the 3 point hitch can be "lifted" manually (engine on or off)...l can do this with not much force....is that normal??...l was under the impression that the arms would "lock" up or down no matter were the 3 point hitch is set??? Hope this makes sense...l am very new to this tractor stuff....ok any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks guys

cheers farmer jack!

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Never done it on the tractor, but replacing the washers is a non-issue. I always wet with fluid before tightening to allow slip to seal without galling.

But I doubt that's the reason it's going down. I expect a fair bit of fluid has to move for that to happen, and it would be very noticeable as a leak. But where to look, no idea. And in my experience most 3 points on older tractors tend to do that. My old MF (25 years ago it was an ancient beater, kinda like a bigger version of my current B7100D) and my father-in-law's Long definitely did, though I don't recall his big (huge) ford having that problem. But I'm no expert, and I'm just learning my way around the B7100, so I'll eagerly await to see what is offered.

As for lifting, I think that's normal. There is no down force on the 3 point, it's all gravity, which is a very good thing for implements that need to float like a box or bush-hog. Not so good for things like an auger where you need some down force.

Nice looking tractor. MUCH nicer than mine. Good luck.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Pretty much like BadDog said, a slow lowering 3pt is pretty common on all older tractors. And as he mentioned the 3pt is hydraulic power up and gravity down so yeah you can lift the 3pth with the tractor turned off.

farmerjack

Equipment
b7001
May 18, 2013
Putlitz, Germany
Thanks guys for the reply's...great help.

Eric just to note that l can lift the assembly even when engine is on...should that be a concern?

Great handy forum folks!...as a Aussie in northern east Germany its very difficult to communicate to the locals regarding tractors...my German is not good! And these orange machines are not common here...

Anyway thanks again...

Cheers farmerjack