b6200dt mower gear box

etf1960

Equipment
b6200dt
Sep 10, 2011
Newark, Ohio
I just bought an 85 b6200dt last month have had no problems until today. Son was cutting grass. disengaged mower deck. when he reengaged. grinding noise came fron mower gear box. possible reason? expensive fix?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Could be a couple innocuous things; the clutch pedal needs to be dead down to the stops, a quarter inch will have you grinding the PTO gears. If you have the clutch down and try to engage the PTO too quickly, things are still spinning and will grind a touch too. I always press clutch & count... 1, 2, 3, then try the PTO lever.

Then there's the ever tricky 2 stage clutch. That one can fool you because you become used to the transmission gears changing in the top half of the clutch travel, but again the PTO only disengages at the bottom. You can tell when the mower spools up to speed long before the tractor starts to move when letting out the clutch. Still the same though, clutch fully down, engage PTO.

Oh, and I always engage the PTO at idle speed, then spool up to working RPM. Saves a lot of shock load.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If the noise came from the mower gear box check to make sure it has gear oil in it. The gear box could be dry and have no oil in it. Also theres a possibility that the gear box is shot and needs to be replaced. Agri Supply sells a universal gear box for a 100 bucks or so.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep should be a threaded cap on top to fill the gear box. Also there should be a plug somewhere on the side of the gear box, unscrew that and add gear oil until it drips out the side plug then replace. You can over fill the gear box and that will be a problem.