B6200 Ignition Switch Removal

flowerlvr98

Equipment
B6200, 5 ft finish mower, front mount blade
Nov 10, 2009
rock creek Ohio USA
I have the dashboard unbolted and over the top of the steering column so that I have full access to the back of the dash. I have the various leads from the back of the ignition switch removed and labeled.

I have noticed cracking to the plastic back portion of the switch so much so that at least one terminal to the glow plugs preheat is very loose.

How do I fully remove the ignition switch from the dashboard housing?:confused:

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Post a picture please :) couldn't be more than a bezel with internal threading but I'm not sure because I don't have a work shop manual ( WSM ) available tonight. :eek:

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
My money's with OB1.
Internal thread. Bezel on top of dash.
A pair of channel lock pliers will remove that bezel. Be careful not to scratch the dash, and you'll have to hold on to the switch on the underside, as you loosen. There's a notch in the dash, and the switch has a step that goes
into the notch, to keep it from turning.
Hope this helps.:)

flowerlvr98

Equipment
Nov 10, 2009
rock creek Ohio USA
Thank you Ob1 and Randyj, once the rain stops (could be weeks here in NEOH) I will get out and check. I will try to post digital pics also. This wonderful little orange tractor has become a beast from hell with its electrical problems.:mad:

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hang in there we have had the same outrageous rains here in the deep South this year. Birmingham area 64 to 68 inches this year already. Our pumpkin cash crops rotted on the vines because we couldn't get to them with machinery. Corn was so soggy the kernels molded in the stocks! Global warming, Heck no, how about an Ice Age coming. Come back with your post when you get the time after things dry out. ;)

flowerlvr98

Equipment
Nov 10, 2009
rock creek Ohio USA
The rain has turned to snow. The B6200E ignition switch does not have an external bezel. The only part that sticks out the dash is the small rounded key hole part.

I am wondering if there is some type of locking pin that needs to be pushed in to remove the switch from the dash.

Now I only ask for a sunny clear day or two to get the snow cleared off the orange beast so that I can check my theory out.:rolleyes:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Check out Messicks for a picture and photo of the switch. It doesn't seem to have the bezel and threads that other models have for securing the switch.

You may have to buy a new one (if that is the plan) to be able to figure out how it is attached. Click on "Panel Switch" and then a photo of the part can be found in the right column. The price is around $40.

http://www.messicks.com/Kubota/B6200D.aspx?sect=ELECTRICAL+SYSTEM

flowerlvr98

Equipment
Nov 10, 2009
rock creek Ohio USA
I finally had enough and waded through 3 ft. of snow (1 M for my northern neighbors) and completely removed the dash and brought it inside. From there I removed the fuel gauge and the black metal dash insert. Underneath the insert I found the chrome (at least at one time) bezel that holds the ignition switch in place. I quick turn with channel locks and it was loose.

Once removed I had my beautiful companion Missy hold the switch and key in the various positions from preheat to run to start and used a multimeter set at the "ohm" position. I had readings at the various terminals as one would expect. I began another thread to address that. I think I must now return to electric basics 101 and check all grounds and replace positive and negative cables.

Thank you for the assistance.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Good troubleshooting on the switch.

I posted on another thread that my L3650 had starting problems - sometimes fine, other times the key had to be repeatedly turned. Shorting the starter was the same situation. I bought a new starter and ignition switch. No change!

The battery ground cable was replaced and the connections cleaned. No change again! Finally the battery was grounded directly to the engine and all was well after that.

A spare starter and ignition switch was the end result. Troubleshoot the simple stuff first is the lesson I learned.

flowerlvr98

Equipment
Nov 10, 2009
rock creek Ohio USA
I did all the basic trouble shooting, ensuring that all electrical connections were tight and clean. I removed the starter and had it checked, checked good. I took dash apart to remove ignition switch, it seemed good but I replaced it anyhow.

I finally got a chance to put the dash back together, ensured all connections tight and clean. I turned key to glo-plug preheat and got the nicest little burn on my finger from a hot plug. I switched to run and dash lights lit. Turned key to start and sluggishly it turned over but not with enough oomph to start the orange beast.

I pulled starter off again and now will take it to someplace other than autozone for testing. I think my starter is dragging since it was very warm to the touch and remained warm for over 15 minutes after having tried to start the engine.

Can someone tell me whether Kubota used Nippondenso starters on the B series? My starter is a Nippondenso unit.

GpaG

Equipment
Ford 9N, Kubota B6000 with FEL
Jan 25, 2010
Penyrn, CA, USA
The starter on my B6000 is a Nippondenso. Of course, as the third owner of an old tractor I can't assure it is original equipment versus being a form/fit/function replacement. Good luck.