B6200 Hydraulic Pump Whitehouse Products GP0120R/L NOT an Upgrade

daredevil1166

Mar 10, 2024
Oregon
I wanted to share some info here because this forum is where I got the idea and I may be able to save someone the time and money of doing what I did.

I tried to upgrade the hydraulic pump on my B6200 with the Whitehouse Products GP0120 pump.

It mounted up just fine but one of the things I wanted to do was actually test the flow and see if it really was an upgrade.

I had read somewhere on here the pump should theoretically be about 6GPM. Not the case in my situation.

Here is what I got.........

Original Pump
4.5 GPM No Load
3.75 GPM @ 1500 PSI

WHP Pump
3.25 GPM No Load
2.75 GPM @ 1500 PSI

By the numbers this would be a slight upgrade for a B7100, especially if the pump is old and worn out but it was not an upgrade for me.

In my opinion if you are looking at this as an upgrade you'd be better off sourcing the B8200 gear drive and pump.

It's certainly possible that I just got a bad pump, but I doubt it. I took it apart and it looks fine internally.

I even put my old pump back on and verified the test again.

It was actually a really fun project and I'm glad I was able to take that bullet and potentially save others from doing the same.

For reference, I wouldn't claim to be an expert but I am dealer tech so I have a reasonable handle on doing a flow test.

I do have video of the tests if you want to see for yourself but it's terrible so I wouldn't recommend watching it.
The original pump test starts at about 4:00 minutes and the WHP pump test starts at about 8:00 minutes.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I wanted to share some info here because this forum is where I got the idea and I may be able to save someone the time and money of doing what I did.

I tried to upgrade the hydraulic pump on my B6200 with the Whitehouse Products GP0120 pump.

It mounted up just fine but one of the things I wanted to do was actually test the flow and see if it really was an upgrade.

I had read somewhere on here the pump should theoretically be about 6GPM. Not the case in my situation.

Here is what I got.........

Original Pump
4.5 GPM No Load
3.75 GPM @ 1500 PSI

WHP Pump
3.25 GPM No Load
2.75 GPM @ 1500 PSI

By the numbers this would be a slight upgrade for a B7100, especially if the pump is old and worn out but it was not an upgrade for me.

In my opinion if you are looking at this as an upgrade you'd be better off sourcing the B8200 gear drive and pump.

It's certainly possible that I just got a bad pump, but I doubt it. I took it apart and it looks fine internally.

I even put my old pump back on and verified the test again.

It was actually a really fun project and I'm glad I was able to take that bullet and potentially save others from doing the same.

For reference, I wouldn't claim to be an expert but I am dealer tech so I have a reasonable handle on doing a flow test.

I do have video of the tests if you want to see for yourself but it's terrible so I wouldn't recommend watching it.
The original pump test starts at about 4:00 minutes and the WHP pump test starts at about 8:00 minutes.
Very interesting and informative. The video is also a good example of how to test a hydraulic pump.

But I see nothing defective with the WH pump - its simply smaller than the OEM pump. Whitehouse does not give the displacement and 6.5 GPM is a new number to me. Where did you see that?

Using your test results both are testing at 85% volumetric efficiency which is a typical number and apparently both are producing ~1900 PSI outlet pressure which is a biscuit under the OEM specification of 2060 PSI for the relief built into the outlet block.

If your old pump goes out and you can live with the slightly smaller pump the WH pump @ $97 is a lot less expensive than an OEM replacement @ $860 o_O

I have a B7200 and I know which one I would buy.

Dan

Last edited:

daredevil1166

Mar 10, 2024
Oregon
Very interesting and informative. The video is also a good example of how to test a hydraulic pump.

But I see nothing defective with the WH pump - its simply smaller than the OEM pump. Whitehouse does not give the displacement and 6.5 GPM is a new number to me. Where did you see that?

Using your test results both are testing at 85% volumetric efficiency which is a typical number and apparently both are producing ~1900 PSI outlet pressure which is a biscuit under the OEM specification of 2060 PSI for the relief built into the outlet block.

If your old pump goes out and you can live with the slightly smaller pump the WH pump @ $97 is a lot less expensive than an OEM replacement @ $860 o_O

I have a B7200 and I know which one I would buy.

Dan

Good catch. I didn't find the relief valve in the outlet block until after I did all this work. I only saw the 3pt relief referenced in the service manual.
It was bugging me that they both quit @ 1900 and the outlet block has a return hose to the suction side of the pump. So I looked in the parts lookup and found the relief valve.

I don't want to call anyone out or cause trouble so I won't reference the specific thread where the 6 GPM is.
There are other threads that point to or reference that one and a few more still that call the WHP pump an upgrade.

For sure, not defective and WHP isn't doing anything wrong selling that pump. It's just that it would be very easy for someone to get the impression that this is an upgrade based on the available info.

For the price I'm with you it's a good replacement option. I think with shipping I paid $137 USD. If mine dies it will be going back on, or more likely I'm just saving it for the inevitable estate sale.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Good catch. I didn't find the relief valve in the outlet block until after I did all this work. I only saw the 3pt relief referenced in the service manual.
It was bugging me that they both quit @ 1900 and the outlet block has a return hose to the suction side of the pump. So I looked in the parts lookup and found the relief valve.

I don't want to call anyone out or cause trouble so I won't reference the specific thread where the 6 GPM is.
There are other threads that point to or reference that one and a few more still that call the WHP pump an upgrade.

For sure, not defective and WHP isn't doing anything wrong selling that pump. It's just that it would be very easy for someone to get the impression that this is an upgrade based on the available info.

For the price I'm with you it's a good replacement option. I think with shipping I paid $137 USD. If mine dies it will be going back on, or more likely I'm just saving it for the inevitable estate sale.
I could have saved you $37 :)

Dan

daredevil1166

Mar 10, 2024
Oregon
I could have saved you $37 :)

Dan
Right! I just saw that yesterday. I bought the pump months ago.
I don't mind the money actually. This tractor has been a fun project and a cool learning experience.
I don't get to do anything interesting with tractors this age at work. The threshold for paying labor rates is so low when anyone can finance a shiny new one. That's how I ended up with mine. So it's been nice to have a chance to get to know them better with my own.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice video man!

Thanks for posting. I like seeing real world testing and outcomes.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user