B6100 tranny removal

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
I have a new to me B6100D that has a torn up 13t gear (2nd gear?) and the corresponding 13t/17t gear (PTO 2nd gear?) in the tranny. Looks like the previous owner had an issue while operating a PTO driven implement in 2nd.
Tranny has a click in both second and reverse. Much quieter in reverse, I assume due to using the backside of the gear teeth.

I have the Work manual and it describes things pretty well. But it describes removing the axle cases prior to separating the tranny from the diff case.
It looks like you only need to remove the 3-pt mechanism to access the 2 bolts inside there. And that a person could leave the axle cases attached if only wanting to work on the transmission.

Can someone with experience tell me if it’s necessary to remove the axle cases to allow removing and installing the transmission?

Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
In case others find this thread. I removed the Transmission without removing the axle cases, tires, PTO shaft, ect... Just removed the 3 point to get access to the bolts inside, and then removed the exterior bolts. The Transmission came off fine, with just a little work to get the pinion bearing set to come out.

Another note, the 4x4 lever can move beyond its normal travel range and the detent bearing will fall out during this work. So keep that in mind so you don't lose the bearing.

Reactions: 1 users

TyBones

Equipment
B6100
Jul 8, 2022
Bonney Lake WA
In case others find this thread. I removed the Transmission without removing the axle cases, tires, PTO shaft, ect... Just removed the 3 point to get access to the bolts inside, and then removed the exterior bolts. The Transmission came off fine, with just a little work to get the pinion bearing set to come out.

Another note, the 4x4 lever can move beyond its normal travel range and the detent bearing will fall out during this work. So keep that in mind so you don't lose the bearing.
Looks like I may have the same problem thanks for your post