B6000 white smoke - decompression

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Hi

Well I fired up the B6000 today and noticed it was blowing white smoke and running strangely. Its always run clean and I'd just been playing with the decomrpession lever. Anyway I thought it was most likely due to this so I removed the tappet cover and it looks like the decompression valve is busted and that (Hopefully) has been the cause of the white smoke. They seem to have a number of stress or fatigue cracks and one has broken off - see photo. Anyway I'm hoping this is the cause of the white smoke and that I haven't done any damage. Anyway part number is 15231-66040 so hopefully I can replace them and this will fix the problem.
Anyway my question is if I can't get my hands on news ones of these could I simply just plug these holes permeately ? I live in a hot climate so don't really need to use the decompression if push comes to shove.

Cheers John

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If you don't need the decompresser you can remove it and plug up the holes. None of the new Kubota's have decompressers. If it was holding the valves open a little bit it could be the cause of the smoke. White smoke can be indicative of low compression.
Ed

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Well just to finish this post off I purchased new decompression valves and springs and put the tappet cover back on. Fired up the Beast and she runs as clean as ever. No white smoke :D

Anyway thought I'd just post an outcome so if others notice one day when they start there old B series Kubota up a bit of white smoke when it wasn't there before it could be worth checking the decompression valves. Cheap and easy to replace too - well at least on the B6000 (but these are a special machine;).

Cheers John

P.S. I'm thinking of setting up a centre where people can return their b6000's due to the 'dangerous, non standard backwards pto'. People will be able to send me their unwanted 'non-standard' b6000's which I will take off their hands for free to save them the cost of disposing of these machines - any takers:D

rbcsaver

Equipment
B7510
Jul 10, 2009
NE PA
If you don't need the decompresser you can remove it and plug up the holes. None of the new Kubota's have decompressers. If it was holding the valves open a little bit it could be the cause of the smoke. White smoke can be indicative of low compression.
Ed
What does this valve do and does my 5 yr. old B7510 have one?
regards,
Steve

Last edited:

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Hi

Well I had problems with the decompression valves again so went for a permanent fix - see photo. Anyway basically just plugged the holes with two bolts and rubber washers. Not sure what the problem was with the new decomp valves I brought. they seemed to work OK for a few days but I the got the same problem with white smoke on startup - there design to me didn't look too crash hot anyway.

Anyway I have had the bolt plugs in place now for a few weeks and it has been running crystal clear.

Like I mentioned I never used the decompression valves for starting the B6000 so I don't miss not having them.

Now to get back to building the FEL:D

Attachments

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
Well just to finish this post off I purchased new decompression valves and springs and put the tappet cover back on. Fired up the Beast and she runs as clean as ever. No white smoke :D

Anyway thought I'd just post an outcome so if others notice one day when they start there old B series Kubota up a bit of white smoke when it wasn't there before it could be worth checking the decompression valves. Cheap and easy to replace too - well at least on the B6000 (but these are a special machine;).

Cheers John

P.S. I'm thinking of setting up a centre where people can return their b6000's due to the 'dangerous, non standard backwards pto'. People will be able to send me their unwanted 'non-standard' b6000's which I will take off their hands for free to save them the cost of disposing of these machines - any takers:D
Hello, I take it that the white smoke was coming from the exhaust right? not from the oil fill plug in the rocker cover or breather?

regards
joseph