B6000 steering, obsolete parts? Help!

micah

Equipment
B6000, tiller
Mar 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Okay, so I was an idiot, left my little B6000 out in the rain for a month or so, the steering box filled with water, sterering got sloppy and eventually failed completely while I was moving some snow. I took it all apart, found the pile of ball bearings in a pile at the bottom of the steering box. The steering shaft and sector gear looked *pretty* good, and they also looked pretty expensive, so I ordered an replaced the bearings and seals and reassembled the whole thing. Now I have over 1/2 turn of slop in the systrem, the steering wheel threads out and the thing won't turn left. I have the adjustment screw turned as far clockwise as it will go, I'm thinking my steering shaft gear, sector gear (is that the right term?) or both are worn beyond repair. My system is much like what Vic shows in his excelent write-ups and video, except that I have no ball nut, just the steering shaft that directly drives the sector gear. The dealer I obtained my other parts from says the two parts I need are obsolete. Does anyone have any advice on where to get these parts or, failing that, an inexpensive work-around or retrofit?

Thanks!
Micah

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Hello Micha,

Welcome to OTT !

"Ron" at Tractorsmart.com ( 1-717-450-1250 ) may be able to help you.

He was very helpful to me during the restoration of my B9200.

If Ron cannot get your parts, maybe you could find a replacement steering box at WestKentuckyTractorParts.com ( 1-270-462-2191 ). They specialize in compact Kubota parts. They have a huge inventory of salvage Kubota's.

Maybe do a saved search on E-Bay ?

Good luck !

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I called WKTP the other day when I was looking for B7100 parts. while they didnt have a b7100 recently, they did have 4 6000's that came in. give it a try.

kytim

micah

Equipment
B6000, tiller
Mar 14, 2010
Wisconsin
WKYTP had 1 steering box, but yowza! $450 + a $150 deposit to get it. Ouch. Any other ideas? It's a 4 wheel drive with the old-style system if that helps, no ballnut involved.

micah

Equipment
B6000, tiller
Mar 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi Vic, nice to hear from you on here, I've talked to you on the phone a few times and you've always gotten me where I needed to be!

My B6000 has a steering shaft that does not have a ball thread on it, it has what almost looks like an ACME form thread. This thread rides directly against the sector gear, steel on steel. The only balls in the system are in the bearings. I was told by the lady at WKYTP that there is a new style and old style of B6000 steering systems, and that mine is the old style. I wouldn't mind swapping the hole thing out for a ballnut type system, but I don;t know for sure what would be involved.

micah

Equipment
B6000, tiller
Mar 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Pro-tip:

The steering works better when you put the upper bearing where it's supposed to be and the race doesn't end up laying loose in the gearcase while the ring is jammed inside the rubber seal.

Seems to be better now, will test drive tonight and see how she goes!

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
for everybody that has a used kubota, this thread should be read between the lines. don,t wait until the steering box fails, take it apart and check. the rubber top bushing is a joke, the rubber shaveings plug the bottom drain
hole and goodby steering box. i suggest makeing a brass bushing instead of the rubber one and machine provisions for a wipper seal to stop the water and or make a skirt on the bottom of the steering wheel that will stop the water as well. u know the saying,, a word to the wise***
Louis

Rust Addict

Equipment
B6000E
Jan 2, 2010
Sidney, Maine, USA
YIKES! :eek:

That’s one heck of an expensive piece of metal. Some of these old B6000's are purchased for near that same price, or part's tractors can be for that amount. Some are just plain abandoned and can be just dragged in from the cold.

I'd bet I could install a full up hydraulic steering system for about the same investment, and never fall hostage to the OEM prices.

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
SD Vic. thanks, i just used oil impregnated oillight bushings that u get at
tractor suply places and industrial supply. $2 . the might be availible in metric
sizes, i never checked. i had 3/4 in on hand and i just made the adapter
sleave about 5 thou smaller which shrunk the bore just right .
Louis