B6000 Steering box question

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hello, I recently bought a B6000 and I know I need to grease the steering box but not sure how to do so. Do I remove one of the bolts on the box and grease through there? Any info would be VERY much appreciated!

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Another question. I'm going to take the steering box apart to see if there's any damage (I suspect there is) and I believe I have the "early" style box :mad:, is there ANY way I can convert over to the "new" style box?? Please tell me yes?

SCPOret

Equipment
B7510HSD, LA272 FEL, Mohawk Brave shredder, Modern rear blade
Jan 21, 2013
Alvin, TX - USA
Hello, I recently bought a B6000 and I know I need to grease the steering box but not sure how to do so. Do I remove one of the bolts on the box and grease through there? Any info would be VERY much appreciated!
on the early gearbox there is a plug on the back side of the steering column connection to the box. fill until you can see the oil on the bottom of the plug hole. do not over fill!
nothing special on the lubricant - 80/90 gear lube.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
on the early gearbox there is a plug on the back side of the steering column connection to the box. fill until you can see the oil on the bottom of the plug hole. do not over fill!
nothing special on the lubricant - 80/90 gear lube.
Thank you very much! I'll be headed out to check for the plug now. Do you know if the late box would adapt to my early tractor if I bought everything with it (sector gears etc..)?

I appreciate your help!!

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
This is the pdf link for the 2 different boxes, early and late.

file:///C:/Users/us/Downloads/B6000%20Steering%20Box%20Versions.pdf

Does anybody know if I replace my early box with a late box, all parts included, if it would bolt on and work properly on my tractor? I don't see why it wouldn't if all parts were changed.

Thanks in advance!

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
C'mon, don't be shy. I know somebody knows and is chopping at the bit to help me but is just a little on the shy side.

I'd appreciate any help!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Sorry it seams no one has first hand knowledge of the swop you are attempting.
I looked at the kubota parts website. The clutch housing has only one part number so it looks like either box will bolt on. The pitman arm is different, new to old, so you will need the correct new style, The drag link has only one part number so it should fit either pitman arm. Hope this will help.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Sorry it seams no one has first hand knowledge of the swop you are attempting.
I looked at the kubota parts website. The clutch housing has only one part number so it looks like either box will bolt on. The pitman arm is different, new to old, so you will need the correct new style, The drag link has only one part number so it should fit either pitman arm. Hope this will help.
Thank you so very much, kubotasam!! I really appreciate your help! I know the question has been asked before but I couldn't find a answer. This thread may help somebody else in the future also! Thanks again!!

JD Old Orange

Equipment
yard work
Oct 3, 2014
Ventura, California
Hi I purchased a new older model steering box for B6000 from Kumar Bros USA . I bought it through eBay however the pitman arm ball joint hole for the steering link is too small. I would just use my old pitman arm but the splines are different. Of course the ball joint hole is tapered for the ball joint bolt, so I have asked Kumar to respond...they haven't followed up (its made in India), guess I will need to get a quote from a machine shop to fix it ...do you think Kumar will pay for it? haha:)

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hi I purchased a new older model steering box for B6000 from Kumar Bros USA . I bought it through eBay however the pitman arm ball joint hole for the steering link is too small. I would just use my old pitman arm but the splines are different. Of course the ball joint hole is tapered for the ball joint bolt, so I have asked Kumar to respond...they haven't followed up (its made in India), guess I will need to get a quote from a machine shop to fix it ...do you think Kumar will pay for it? haha:)
Good luck with your repair. I still have the same box on there (early style) that came on the tractor. When I rebuilt it the shaft was damaged a little but I decided to replace bearings and seals and give it a try and it's still working. I hope I get many years of use out of it. I did refill it with #2 grease instead of the thin gear oil that always leaks out.