B6000 Steering Box/Column Disassembly

jca

Equipment
B6000
Feb 19, 2014
Floyds Knobs, In.
Any suggestions from the members on how to disassemble the steering wheel/column/gear once it is removed from the frame. I have the assembly removed and the access panel on the right side off. The bearings are shot. Lots of pieces inside. Are repair parts available? The serial number is 69356 however the steering box is the "old style" with the worm gear on the shaft. Photo attached.

Attachments

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
I have a B6000 and I am contemplating a similar repair.

My main problem is removing the steering wheel from the shaft so that I can replace the top bush. Need to do bearings too.

The steering wheel seems to require a puller to remove $$. Don't know of a source for a puller and I would prefer not spending the money for a once in a lifetime job.

I am considering trying to use the weight of the tractor to remove the steering wheel ie

1. Jack the tractor off the ground

2. Secure the steering wheel vertically to a solid structure such as roof beams using rope or cables

3. Slowly lower the tractor

If anyone knows if this will work please say so. Or, in the alternative advise against if you know it will not work.

My main doubts are over the fact that the column is not vertical.

I do not want to trash a good stock steering wheel.

jca

Equipment
B6000
Feb 19, 2014
Floyds Knobs, In.
You may be able to rent a puller rather then buying it. I doubt if the weight of the tractor would do the job. Do you know of a source for repair parts for the steering box components? I'm new to this site.

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
I believe key components for repair including the bearings are available from Kubota dealers.

I have not seen a 'universal' puller that will remove the steering wheel. I think one would have to be made specifically for the task.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I used a tie rod separator to remove my steering wheel, the type that's forked and you hit with a hammer! No damage at all.