B6000 loud knocking

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Hi All,

My old B6000 seems to have a major problem. It has always been hard to start and blows a lot of blue smoke until warmed up. I was running it yesterday. Seemed normal for about 1/2 hour. Then it started to "knock" very loudly. Oil pressure light began to flicker On/Off (normally off). I shut it down immediately. Looked for any obvious problems and checked oil which was a little low. I started it back up and limped into the barn.

I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Any suggestions?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Loud knocking can be an internal problem, but it can also be an injector. Injector knock can sound like a rod about to come through the block. So, before tearing into the engine, you might want to pull the injectors and get them tested. You could easily have a bad injector or two.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Since the loud knock was in conjunction with the low oil pressure light I would drain the oil pan and look for signs of metal from a rod bearing failure or something along those lines, also take the oil filter off and cut it open and inspect for debris in there as well, sounds like a rod bearing failure.

Last edited:

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start by inspecting the oil pan and filter. It needs a change anyways. I'll let you know how i make out.