B6000 hard shift in and out of 4x4

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
My little beast is giving me trouble shifting in and out of four wheel drive. The shifter feels like it is not greased or lubricated enough. There is no grease fitting. Is this lubricated by the hydraulic fluid? I have it in four wheel drive now but do not want to take it out of with snow plowing around the corner and mowing done for the season. If I can't get it back in it will be a bigger problem. I have tried shifting in neutral with the clutch in and out, in gear with the clutch in, and while moving. Nothing seems to make a difference. It was fine in the spring and kept getting progressively worse. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
You probably already did this but if you back up a bit it can unload any pressure on the front end and make it easier to shift.

My 3700 goes in easy but takes a little negotiating to get out of 4wd.

E&S_aus

Equipment
2 x B7100HST with 60" MMM
Sep 20, 2012
NSW, Aust
If I understand that your problem is that you can't move the front wheel drive select lever - it sounds like the little steel ball and spring that locates the engaged / disengaged positions of the select lever is corroded or has got some muck preventing the ball from sliding out of the 'slot' (assuming the B6000 is similiar to B7100).
Parts 14, 15 & 16 of the image.

We had the same prob when we got our B7100 and found a thread that suggested a bit of WD40 & sliding a fine blade between the ball and the plate to get it freed - this worked for us.

Was also amazing how a simple little lever locking mechanism played havock in my head with me thinking we had major problems with the 4WD until we found a forum thread that gave the solution!

Attachments

Last edited:

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
Thanks for the information. I found the other thread and this does seem to be the problem. It makes sense. I have not tried this yet but am sure it will work. Much thanks.