B6000 FEL Pump Replacement and chatter

warmblood58

Member

Equipment
B6000DT
Dec 28, 2022
77
20
8
Jacksonville Oregon
Yesterday, after loading up my bucket with 5-6 loads of 3/4 minus, I started to get some pump chatter (cavitation?) I noticed that my return line (low pressure) was twisting and reduced a little in diameter due to air/diminished flow (?) More importantly, my return line has some excess and had a pretty good belly in it from not being routed correctly so today I am going to reroute to get it level and remove that belly which should help. I have new universal hydraulic fluid in this system which should be fine vs ATF or 30 weight motor oil (it's a 70's machine). Yesterday's experience prompted me to think about pump rebuilding/replacement if this ever comes to be. Are these little kubota pumps rebuildable/replaceable or is there a better update for these pumps that works?
 

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,955
7,344
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yesterday, after loading up my bucket with 5-6 loads of 3/4 minus, I started to get some pump chatter (cavitation?) I noticed that my return line (low pressure) was twisting and reduced a little in diameter due to air/diminished flow (?) More importantly, my return line has some excess and had a pretty good belly in it from not being routed correctly so today I am going to reroute to get it level and remove that belly which should help. I have new universal hydraulic fluid in this system which should be fine vs ATF or 30 weight motor oil (it's a 70's machine). Yesterday's experience prompted me to think about pump rebuilding/replacement if this ever comes to be. Are these little kubota pumps rebuildable/replaceable or is there a better update for these pumps that works?
They are gear pumps and not rebuildable.

I think I would be checking suction side strainers and filters....

Dan
 

warmblood58

Member

Equipment
B6000DT
Dec 28, 2022
77
20
8
Jacksonville Oregon
They are gear pumps and not rebuildable.

I think I would be checking suction side strainers and filters....

Dan
Thanks Dan, Suction side strainer was removed a few months ago on this new to me tractor because it was old and damaged - hydraulic shop felt it was no big deal to run without strainer temporarily until I installed 20 micron spin on filter setup -fluid is all new. My pump is driven off a pulley up front off engine.
 

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,955
7,344
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan, Suction side strainer was removed a few months ago on this new to me tractor because it was old and damaged - hydraulic shop felt it was no big deal to run without strainer temporarily until I installed 20 micron spin on filter setup -fluid is all new. My pump is driven off a pulley up front off engine.
You have a 20 micron filter on it now ?

Dan
 

warmblood58

Member

Equipment
B6000DT
Dec 28, 2022
77
20
8
Jacksonville Oregon
On a system like that its easy to watch the flow. Remove the tank return and hold it over the tank filler with the engine running.

Dan
Thanks, and that was a 10 micron - just added about a quart and a half of fluid so that with both rams all the way in, there is about 4 inches from breather - noise has gone away, and I resupported feed line with different routing which also took out the belly in that line (removed about 7 inches of excess line - seems nice and quiet - will report back after duplicating yesterdays work-thanks
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

warmblood58

Member

Equipment
B6000DT
Dec 28, 2022
77
20
8
Jacksonville Oregon
Thanks, and that was a 10 micron - just added about a quart and a half of fluid so that with both rams all the way in, there is about 4 inches from breather - noise has gone away, and I resupported feed line with different routing which also took out the belly in that line (removed about 7 inches of excess line - seems nice and quiet - will report back after duplicating yesterdays work-thanks
 

warmblood58

Member

Equipment
B6000DT
Dec 28, 2022
77
20
8
Jacksonville Oregon
All good! Removing the excess line and supporting it (no belly) and adding a quart of hydraulic oil made all the difference. I believe the fluid was getting hot and aiding in the line belly with sag from heat, supporting it made a huge difference and I believe when I refilled reservoir originally, I still managed to undershoot the proper amount (added about a quart). I worked the FEL hard yesterday, no chatter, pump nice and quiet!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user