B6000 backhoe possibly a 619b, hydraulic oil change/fill

Silverbud

Equipment
B6000
Nov 24, 2021
Hi, recently purchased b6000 w/ fel and backhoe.

I'm want to change and fill backhoe hydraulic fluid. Backhoe runs off a rear pto pump, so not directly connected to b6000 hydraulic system. I read the manual but it really doesn't say what to do.

There is a hole on top of tank with an elbow connected to nothing. I removed it and can fill the tank from the hole.

Should that hole be plugged or it for excess pressure and should just have an elbow connected to nothing? Top pict shows tank with elbow disconnected.

How full do I fill the tank?

Also, how do I drain to change, do I just connect the main line at bottom of tank, that feeds all the lines? Sec pict, shows bottom of tank.

IMG_20211204_130632780.jpg

IMG_20211204_130710715.jpg

Thanks, all your help is greatly appreciated 👍
Jason

Clementine21

Equipment
B2401 with FEL, back blade, back rake, carry all
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
My backhoe like this had a ½" pipe plug with a ⅛" hole drilled in the side of one of the flats, then about a 5/16" hole drilled most of the way through from the bottom. It was filled with what looked like coarse steel wool to act as a breather.

Yours with the elbow is supposed to limit the amount of rain that might enter. (Mine lived outside in N Idaho for much of the 40+ years I owned it.)

I always filled mine to about 1" of the top. I bought it used with fewer than 300 hours on it. The previous owner use ATF type 'F' in it and the FEL. No problems over the next 3000 hours with a few lube changes.

I removed the hose coming off the tank to drain it, though I sometimes drained from a hose on the boom with it lowered all the way.