B3350 dpf issues

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I would not expect a problem with a low hour B3350, even on my Nov, 2007, I had no issues for hundreds of hours.

BTW, if the tractor dies and the instrument panel is dead, check for a blown 5 amp fuse. If it blows again, it's a short to ground inside the neutral sense switch on the forward/reverse treadle. Common problem. I bought a new switch, but haven't installed it. Just took a 1/2 PVC female threaded pipe cap and screwed it on the switch mounting threads to hold the switch engaged, insulated switch and nylon tied it to the nearest wire/tubing to get it out of the way. I've decided I'm smart enough to keep my foot of the go lever while I'm starting the tractor.
I had immediate regen problems with my 2018 (fully up to date) B3350 from the day that I brought it home.

My saga has been recorded here in times past and I will not reproduce it now.

A retired electrical/computer engineer who designed engine control computers for a major American Automobile manufacturer (both hardware and firmware) in one of my former lives, I understand why Kubota threw in the towell on the mechanically injected, reformer based DPF system.

SDT

bumper

Equipment
BX24, B3350 cab, w/front mount blower, BH77
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Bingo, Bumper.

Experience has taught me that the reformer based DPF system used by Kubota only on the B3350 and TOL ZTR mowers with the same engine cannot be made reliable for use by most owners of small compact tractors.

Of course, this is why Kubota has replaced this engine with a common rail injected (no reformer) engine similar to engines used reliably in all other Kubota DPF equipped products.

I do not expect such regen problems with the new LX 3310 and other Kubota machines using this common rail design.

I do expect continuing regen issues (becomming more frequent and much more expensive as the EPA mandated 5 year emissions warranty expires) as B3350s and other machines using the reformer based DPF system age.

Shame on Kubota.

SDT
Shame on both Kubota for leaving loyal customers to hank out and dry, and the asinine EPA for their overreach.

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
My understanding, bleak as it may be, is that the computer is looking at the Delta-P (pressure differential) from the entry to the exit side of the DPF. So point #1 is it probably wants to see a difference there and it bases, at least in part, the decision to call for a regen cycle as that Delta-P increases. I am told, but don't know for sure, that the computer is also looking a fuel throughput, and will call for a regen based on a volume of fuel used. Other parameters might be engine run time - again, I don't know.

The filter media is like a bunch of straws, made of porous material with one end blocked. The "straws" are place alternately, blocked end at inlet or outlet to maximize filter area presented to gas flow. If some nefarious ne'er-do-well were to drill a few holes through, or take an angle grinder to remove some of those blocked ends, That would serve to partially bypass the DPF and perhaps allow it operate much longer, albeit while contributing some amount, much less than one tree in a CA wildfire, to air pollution.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My understanding, bleak as it may be, is that the computer is looking at the Delta-P (pressure differential) from the entry to the exit side of the DPF. So point #1 is it probably wants to see a difference there and it bases, at least in part, the decision to call for a regen cycle as that Delta-P increases. I am told, but don't know for sure, that the computer is also looking a fuel throughput, and will call for a regen based on a volume of fuel used. Other parameters might be engine run time - again, I don't know.

The filter media is like a bunch of straws, made of porous material with one end blocked. The "straws" are place alternately, blocked end at inlet or outlet to maximize filter area presented to gas flow. If some nefarious ne'er-do-well were to drill a few holes through, or take an angle grinder to remove some of those blocked ends, That would serve to partially bypass the DPF and perhaps allow it operate much longer, albeit while contributing some amount, much less than one tree in a CA wildfire, to air pollution.
The issue with my 2018 B3350 was OT shutdown EVERY time it regenerated. Engine would then not restart until a cool-down period of 20+ minutes passed.

The last time it was in the shop (12 weeks continuously) Kubota replaced both DPF and reformer. I use the tractor seasonally and having it in the shop for nearly an entire mowing season in effect resulted in the loss of about 50% of the basic two year warranty and about 20% of the five year emissions warranty.

I do not use it much and it has regened once since it was returned without incident.

In the now two and one half years that I have owned it, it has regened a total of three times, two shut downs and the latest successful experience.

I plan to use it for a couple hours this week and expect that it is time for a regen.

I do not believe that my issues are resolved nor do I believe that they can be.

SDT

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
The issue with my 2018 B3350 was OT shutdown EVERY time it regenerated. Engine would then not restart until a cool-down period of 20+ minutes passed.

The last time it was in the shop (12 weeks continuously) Kubota replaced both DPF and reformer. I use the tractor seasonally and having it in the shop for nearly an entire mowing season in effect resulted in the loss of about 50% of the basic two year warranty and about 20% of the five year emissions warranty.

I do not use it much and it has regened once since it was returned without incident.

In the now two and one half years that I have owned it, it has regened a total of three times, two shut downs and the latest successful experience.

I plan to use it for a couple hours this week and expect that it is time for a regen.

I do not believe that my issues are resolved nor do I believe that they can be.

SDT
If you are keeping track, how many hours between regens?

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
Ten is not much!

Mine got to the "10 hours between regens" at about 700 engine hours. Then the time rapidly diminished to 4 hours over the next year and additional 90 hours.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ten is not much!

Mine got to the "10 hours between regens" at about 700 engine hours. Then the time rapidly diminished to 4 hours over the next year and additional 90 hours.
Indeed.

I do not plan to own mine when the 5 year emissions warranty expires.

Shame on Kubota.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Indeed.

I do not plan to own mine when the 5 year emissions warranty expires.

Shame on Kubota.

SDT
Sounds like a wise move... Off it and probably take a hit even on a trade. Think I'd off it with a bit of emissions warranty left.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Sounds like a wise move... Off it and probably take a hit even on a trade. Think I'd off it with a bit of emissions warranty left.
Will do, of course, but expect to take a big hit regardless.

Considering a green replacement.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Will do, of course, but expect to take a big hit regardless.

Considering a green replacement.

SDT
Understandable. I frequent the green dealership nearby myself as I own some green equipment. I'd say the frequency of repair is about the same as orange and the cost of OEM replacement parts is the same as well... They both gouge you and smile.

You might do better offing it at a green dealer (on a trade). The green dealer may not be aware of the issues with the Kubota. As a rule, dealers of different brands don't interact much, if at all.

Actually, how I came by the open station M9 I bought 2 years ago. Bought it from a green dealer (he took it on trade) for a song because he had no idea what he had. I'm sure he low balled the owner and he kept the price low (because orange don't look good on a green lot anyway) so I vacuumed it up. I got it for about 7 grand under what it actually worth, I put 5 in it but it's a nice, solid reliable unit and every unit requires maintenance anyway (and replacement of worn out parts).

My Kubota dealer offered me 10 more than what I paid outright, I knew I did just fine..... (y)

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
A question not related to the 3350. I purchased a L3301 this past spring and used it a LOT on our small farm. I ran it over 2000 rpms mostly brush hogging and it called for it's first regin at about 130 hrs.
I read somewhere, and maybe it was in the owner's manual, that it may regin when operating and the operator may not realize it. Anyone know for sure of this and also are there similar Known problems with other models like my 3301?

bumper

Equipment
Mar 8, 2011
Minden, Nevada
A question not related to the 3350. I purchased a L3301 this past spring and used it a LOT on our small farm. I ran it over 2000 rpms mostly brush hogging and it called for it's first regin at about 130 hrs.
I read somewhere, and maybe it was in the owner's manual, that it may regin when operating and the operator may not realize it. Anyone know for sure of this and also are there similar Known problems with other models like my 3301?
From a convenience standpoint, regen "on the run" is better and no problem at all. There's normally a panel light to let you know what's going on. Only caution would be if you're operating in tall growth that's flammable.

From my recent talk with the dealer, the only tractor they are seeing these incessant problems with is the B33350.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yes, your tractor will regen while in use and you probably will not notice unless you are paying close attention to the instrument panel lights.

The regen processes of both my L6060 and M9960 are seamless and I rarely, if ever, notice that such has occurred unless I intentionally inspect the DPF monitor (L6060).

Such is not true of the B3350, which I watch like a hawk everytime that I start it.

SDT

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
I would not expect a problem with a low hour B3350, even on my Nov, 2007, I had no issues for hundreds of hours.

BTW, if the tractor dies and the instrument panel is dead, check for a blown 5 amp fuse. If it blows again, it's a short to ground inside the neutral sense switch on the forward/reverse treadle. Common problem. I bought a new switch, but haven't installed it. Just took a 1/2 PVC female threaded pipe cap and screwed it on the switch mounting threads to hold the switch engaged, insulated switch and nylon tied it to the nearest wire/tubing to get it out of the way. I've decided I'm smart enough to keep my foot of the go lever while I'm starting the tractor.
It gets used a fair amount and has 6XX hours on it currently, but reading along with this thread some of you guys are regening way more frequently than i am experiencing with ours....with us the 3350 gets ran hard usually with one of the pto spinning some sort of implement, guessing that's the reason....most loader work goes to the 2650.

VictimOfCaliforniaDems

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3350
Jul 6, 2017
Northern CA CalifornUtopia USA
Mr Scott's view of diesel emissions is pretty close i think.
What i dont understand is the Mega Tons of emissions dumped into our atmosphere by the 20 or so jet planes flying over our heads each and every minute of the day.

By making vehicles more fuel efficient,dependable and recycleable do we not in turn make them more environmentally friendly?
The technology compared to the 80's is vastly greater, so why do wheel bearings fail in 60,000 kilometeres yet my 80 power wagon used and abused (snow plow) has 460,000 and to my knowledge still original bearings at all 4 corners. It has about 10 lbs of plastic in it (if that) and all the rest is recycleable.
I still think all this technology is moving us backwards environmentally.

Its great kubota is finally admitting there is a serious enough problem to stop work on your machine, but it still doesent make up for all your downtime.
Perhaps along with downsizing you can option -up the smaller machine for all the hardship it has caused you.
I hope it ends up where somehow you benefit from all this stress.
Good luck.
------------------------- I give a little poopie about Kubota and Global whatever right now. It is harvest in Northern California and the government has forced the use of DPF and we have to deal with and I need to know how to make the tractor run. See, reality cares little about your theory.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
------------------------- I give a little poopie about Kubota and Global whatever right now. It is harvest in Northern California and the government has forced the use of DPF and we have to deal with and I need to know how to make the tractor run. See, reality cares little about your theory.
Great handle.

SDT