B3200 starting problem

only1chief

Equipment
B3200
Dec 3, 2022
Santa Barbara, CA
I have a Kubota B3200, perfect for my use. I use it occasionally for lifting, transporting and mild grading.
Suddenly it wouldn't start, acted like a low battery. "click, click, click" starter solenoid.
I connected jumper cables to my pickup, still "click, click, click". Cable to starter read 12.5 volts.
Wire from key switch to starter solenoid reads about 3 ~ 4 volts when turning key to start.
Jumper wire from battery cable at the starter to the tab the switch wire connects to and the starter works fine
and engine starts right up. So, either the switch is bad or a rat ate the wire.
I know what to do, I don't know how to go about it.
How do I remove the plastic schroud (cover) that the switch is mounted to and the steering wheel shaft goes
through? Looks like it also contains the instrument cluster.
Yes, I know I could run an external wire and switch (button), but I like the conveniece of the std. switch.
My parts manual doesn't show me any of that area.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Try removing the cables from the battery. Clean cable ends and battery terminals. Inspect cable ends for corrosion damage to cable itself. Reinstall and tighten thoroughly. Follow cable to frame ground. Clean and tighten. If voltage is still low when starter is engaged charge battery and have load tested. Knowing you have a good power supply is a good starting point for troubleshooting.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you are putting 12 Volts on the wire that leaves the ignition switch, and goes to the starter solenoid, and the tractor starts, it sure sounds like the switch is the problem.

WHERE EXACTLY are you applying the 12 volts to get the tractor started?

only1chief

Equipment
B3200
Dec 3, 2022
Santa Barbara, CA
from bat. cable connected to start solenoid to the spade next to it on the soleniod.
After heating glow plugs engine cranks and starts right up.

only1chief

Equipment
B3200
Dec 3, 2022
Santa Barbara, CA

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
from bat. cable connected to start solenoid to the spade next to it on the soleniod.
After heating glow plugs engine cranks and starts right up.
It sounds like you have then bypassed any safety interlocks that may exist by doing this. As suggested, there also may be a relay in the circuit.

Chances are if there is a relay involved it is likely activated by voltage that comes from the ignition switch, and passes through safety interlocks, such as on a clutch pedal or HST directional pedal, etc. So the issue could be the relay OR a switch feeding it.

It would be nice to have a circuit diagram, but you don’t…you could try to trace the wire from the smaller connection you refer to as a spade and see where it goes. Might be difficult though if it goes into a wiring harness.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It sounds like you have then bypassed any safety interlocks that may exist by doing this. As suggested, there also may be a relay in the circuit.

Chances are if there is a relay involved it is likely activated by voltage that comes from the ignition switch, and passes through safety interlocks, such as on a clutch pedal or HST directional pedal, etc. So the issue could be the relay OR a switch feeding it.

It would be nice to have a circuit diagram, but you don’t…you could try to trace the wire from the smaller connection you refer to as a spade and see where it goes. Might be difficult though if it goes into a wiring harness.
Henro
Do you think the OPC controller could be involved in this low voltage?
On many models of Kubota's the safety switches pass thru the OPC which then controls various systems such as the engine stop relay and the start circuit.
Dave

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro
Do you think the OPC controller could be involved in this low voltage?
On many models of Kubota's the safety switches pass thru the OPC which then controls various systems such as the engine stop relay and the start circuit.
Dave
I guess I need to get new glasses...I thought the OP's tractor was a B8200...quite older than a B3200 and pre OPC use. Sometimes I read a 3 as an 8, at least in this case...yes, it MUST be my glasses! LOL.

An OPC module could certainly be the issue. Like a relay it would be between the safety switches and the starter solenoid.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Back up a bit. Have you verified the safety switch? If you are only getting 3-4 volts to that starter solenoid you have a voltage drop and it is most likely due to the seat safety switch. As a test build a jumper and bypass the seat safety switch. See if the tractor starts. If it does, replace the switch.

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
I have a B3300 and the HST pedal switch will get stuck and need a little cleaning and WD40. It will not turn engine over, but there is a single click when key is turned on, fuel solenoid. Try to move pedal back forth while looking at switch underneath tractor.