B3200 Ignition Switch

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
I have a 2009 B3200 and I think the ignition switch is starting to go. Sometimes when I shut the tractor off, it keeps running. If I turn the switch back to the on position then turn it hard to the left, it shuts off okay. I have turn turn it to the off position with more force than I used to to get it to shut off. I’m curious if anyone has replaced an ignition switch on a B3200. I have the WSM but I can’t find any reference to removing the ignition switch. How does the plastic panel under the steering wheel where the switch is mounted come out? I appreciate any tips.

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Before you replace the ignition switch you should do a bit more troubleshooting. A diesel engine does not require a spark so when you turn off the switch you are not really turning off the ignition. Ignition is caused by compression and detonation of injected fuel. Turning off that switch actually causes a solenoid to prevent the passage of fuel. Without fuel the engine dies. Yes, you may have an ignition switch problem, but you could also have a fuel stop solenoid problem.

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
Appreciate the information. I understand that the switch does not turn the engine off by cutting power like a gasoline engine. I was just leaning towards the switch being bad because the harder I turned the switch to off, the more likely it was to shut the engine down (by turning off the fuel relay). I took the switch out and thoroughly cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and air, and it’s not doing it anymore. As soon as normally turn the switch to off, the engine shuts down. I’m hoping I had some dirty connection inside the switch that are okay now. Time will tell.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Just for kicks try spraying some WD40 in the switch without the key in it then try the switch with the key see if frees up any before replacing the switch