B3030 how to disengage driveshaft to replace PTO shield

John E

Equipment
B3030 Tractor, snowblower, backblade
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
I have a B3030 Kubota and tore the PTO shield. I purchased replacement parts (male and female) but can't figure out how to disengage the drive shaft to replace the shield. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't know your tractor, but most driveshafts that hook up to a PTO shaft have a locking collar that needs to be pulled back to release the shaft. Look for the collar, and it might just be covered with grunge if it has not been removed in a long time.

And a hearty Hi Ho Silver welcome to the forums.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Are you talking about the driveshaft that goes between the transmission and front axle?

If so... there are pins in the coupling ends you need to drive out of the couplings.

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
Thank you guys for the helpful responses. You are correct that it is a plastic cover protecting the PTO and has a big end, or collar right before it attaches to the snowblower. The big end (collar) has four small rectangular holes in it and it looks like it was designed to have a screwdriver inserted into it to pry off the collar or to push a screwdriver in it to release the cover. The holes are slightly chewed up so I think the previous owner tried to pry it off at one time, too. I tried prying it off with a screwdriver and had no luck so I then tried inserting the screwdriver and tapping it with a rubber mallet. It didn't budge. Tomorrow when it's light outside I'll give it another shot because maybe I didn't pry or tap hard enough. Once again, thank you guys for the helpful tips and I'll give it another shot. DustyRusty, thank you for welcoming to the group.
J.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you have all new parts, just cut the old ones off with a hack saw. It is only plastic, and it should cut easily.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
In the hole you can see a tab. With a big screwdriver you need to push it to release the cowl. Not sure which direction.

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
It's daylight now, so I'm going to try a larger screwdriver and try again. If that doesn't work I'll give the hacksaw a try. Once I get the cover off, I'm not sure how to get the PTO (driveshaft) disconnected so I can slip the new sleeve on but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. We have a winter storm warning in effect until tomorrow so I have an additional incentive to get this done.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
....Once I get the cover off, I'm not sure how to get the PTO (driveshaft) disconnected so I can slip the new sleeve on...
I would remove the driveshaft first and bring it into your shop!!!

If you can post some photos of where the PTO shaft connects to the tractor, We can show you exactly what to press or move to get it off....

The most common way, is a button that you have to press to slide the shaft off the tractor's pto stub. Next is a collar that you pull back on, to release the shaft. There is another one where you have to twist the locking collar to release the PTO shaft. I have all 3 types and they are all pretty easy once you know how to...

Reactions: 1 user

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Disconnect the snow blower from the tractor and back the tractor away from the blower. The PTO shaft will end up in two pieces. One still connected to the subframe on the tractor and the other connected to the snowblower. You will be working on the section still connected to the snow blower.
First the broken piece of the shield should slide off the end of the shaft. The bell shaped end of the shield will need to be released from the shaft by pushing in on the lock tabs.
The shaft needs to be in two pieces to get the replacement part to go on. By the looks of your picture I am guessing it is a B2782 snow Blower. I will attach a PDF of the parts to that 1/2 shaft.

Attachments

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
I would remove the driveshaft first and bring it into your shop!!!

If you can post some photos of where the PTO shaft connects to the tractor, We can show you exactly what to press or move to get it off....

The most common way, is a button that you have to press to slide the shaft off the tractor's pto stub. Next is a collar that you pull back on, to release the shaft. There is another one where you have to twist the locking collar to release the PTO shaft. I have all 3 types and they are all pretty easy once you know how to...

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
I followed your suggestions, got the driveshaft off, as well as the plastic covers and discovered quite a bad spot on the shaft where it had worn down the metal. Once the entire assembly was removed I ordered a new part from the Kubota dealer, will pick it up tomorrow and install it. Thank you for taking the time to walk me through it!

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
I did put a screwdriver in the slot and pushed but no luck. After reading your post, I went back out, used a bigger screwdriver and tapped it with a mallet. It loosened right up. Thanks!

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
Disconnect the snow blower from the tractor and back the tractor away from the blower. The PTO shaft will end up in two pieces. One still connected to the subframe on the tractor and the other connected to the snowblower. You will be working on the section still connected to the snow blower.
First the broken piece of the shield should slide off the end of the shaft. The bell shaped end of the shield will need to be released from the shaft by pushing in on the lock tabs.
The shaft needs to be in two pieces to get the replacement part to go on. By the looks of your picture I am guessing it is a B2782 snow Blower. I will attach a PDF of the parts to that 1/2 shaft.

John E

Equipment
Nov 28, 2022
Michigan
I got the whole assembly apart and the new part is on order. I already had it apart by the time I read your response. You are also right about the blower. It's a B2782A. I have everything disassembled, the Kubota dealer had one part left so I pick it up tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to do everything in reverse order to get it back together. Thank you for taking the time for sending the PDF and to give me advice. I didn't take the blower off and back the tractor away, but I can see that was a good suggestion that I'll know to try if it happens again (hopefully it won't happen again). As you can probably tell, I'm a novice when it comes to fixing tractors but I'm grateful for all of the suggestions and help I got from the members from this forum). Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users