B2710 with LA402 loader

jseabury

Equipment
b2710 La402
Jan 24, 2022
Colorado
I just noticed this happening. When I pull the lever back to lift the loader it appears that there are 2 positions; the first moves the the boom up but the second position (all the way back) causes it to stop moving. Possibly it used to move it faster in that position. Any help would be really appreciated.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just noticed this happening. When I pull the lever back to lift the loader it appears that there are 2 positions; the first moves the the boom up but the second position (all the way back) causes it to stop moving. Possibly it used to move it faster in that position. Any help would be really appreciated.
Any chance you have the bucket and boom spools reversed? The boom spool should have 4 positions. one back is up. One forward is pressure down. and 2 forward is float.

Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Any chance you have the bucket and boom spools reversed? The boom spool should have 4 positions. one back is up. One forward is pressure down. and 2 forward is float.

Dan
I have the LA402 loader on my B2910.

Do you have the float detent when you push the lever fully forward? ( Mine works as Dan described) If so it sounds like something is going on within your control valve, or there is an issue with the linkage between the lever and the valve. I think that linkage is pretty simple though, but it’s a long time since I looked at mine.

It sounds like your hoses must be correct if pulling the lever back causes the loader arms to move up.

Is your valve original? If you are not the original owner no telling what have been done to the valve by a previous owner.

jseabury

Equipment
b2710 La402
Jan 24, 2022
Colorado

Dan
No they are not reversed. I just noticed this happening and have had the tractor since new. Has about 500 hours on the tractor and loader. I wonder if I need to rebuild the control valve or if a pressure needs to be set somewhere.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Do you have the float detent when you push the lever fully forward? ( Mine works as Dan described) If so it sounds like something is going on within your control valve, or there is an issue with the linkage between the lever and the valve. I think that linkage is pretty simple though, but it’s a long time since I looked at mine.

It sounds like your hoses must be correct if pulling the lever back causes the loader arms to move up.

Is your valve original? If you are not the original owner no telling what have been done to the valve by a previous owner.
No they are not reversed. I just noticed this happening and have had the tractor since new. Has about 500 hours on the tractor and loader. I wonder if I need to rebuild the control valve or if a pressure needs to be set somewhere.
Very strange. The valve is not rebuildable - all you can do is replace the end seals on the spools if they are leaking. Perhaps you should post a picture of teh valve showing the plumbiing as well as one showing the 2 positions for the lift function. Does the lever have two positions in the down direction?

I take it you are unsure if that is new or not?

Dan

Last edited:

jseabury

Equipment
b2710 La402
Jan 24, 2022
Colorado

Yes, the float position works like it supposed to. I haven't touched this valve/loader set up since I bought many years ago when I had a full head of hair. I worked perfectly until a few weeks ago.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, the float position works like it supposed to. I haven't touched this valve/loader set up since I bought many years ago when I had a full head of hair. I worked perfectly until a few weeks ago.
There is very little that can go wrong in these valves. Does the loader still lift a full load to full height if you avoid the full back position?

Dan

jseabury

Equipment
b2710 La402
Jan 24, 2022
Colorado
Very strange. The valve is not rebuildable - all you can do is replace the end seals on the spools if they are leaking. Perhaps you should post a picture of teh valve showing the plumbiing as well as one showing the 2 positions for the lift function. Does the lever have two positions in the down direction?

I take it you are unsure if that is new or not?

Dan
Dan, the down movement has a float position as well as just down. Now up in the extreme lever back position causes the boom to stop going up.
There is very little that can go wrong in these valves. Does the loader still lift a full load to full height if you avoid the full back position?

Dan
The loader goes to the full height. I haven't tried fully loaded but I am about to go plow the driveway so I will fill it full of packed snow (which isn't that heavy)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, the down movement has a float position as well as just down. Now up in the extreme lever back position causes the boom to stop going up.

The loader goes to the full height. I haven't tried fully loaded but I am about to go plow the driveway so I will fill it full of packed snow (which isn't that heavy)
Sounds like something has changed about the valve. On some spool valves there is a bolt in the end of each spool that acts as a travel stop. My speculation is the bolt in the end of that spool has worked itself out allowing the spool to be pulled out past the full open point and into another closed position. I will see if I can find a parts diagram to illustrate that.

Edit: OK - several different valves used on that loader and none of them have the bolt I spoke of but there has to be some sort of travel stop inside the end cap. Here is one of the parts diagrams as an example of what is "under the hood". Exercise care if removing the end cap - the detent mechanisms can sometimes jump apart and send small parts flying onto the floor.. I will timidly bet you will find your problem inside that cover. You might want to compare the distance that spool pulls out to the one next to it to see if there is any significant difference before taking things apart.

Dan

LA402_Valve.png

Last edited:

jseabury

Equipment
b2710 La402
Jan 24, 2022
Colorado
Sounds like something has changed about the valve. On some spool valves there is a bolt in the end of each spool that acts as a travel stop. My speculation is the bolt in the end of that spool has worked itself out allowing the spool to be pulled out past the full open point and into another closed position. I will see if I can find a parts diagram to illustrate that.

Edit: OK - several different valves used on that loader and none of them have the bolt I spoke of but there has to be some sort of travel stop inside the end cap. Here is one of the parts diagrams as an example of what is "under the hood". Exercise care if removing the end cap - the detent mechanisms can sometimes jump apart and send small parts flying onto the floor.. I will timidly bet you will find your problem inside that cover. You might want to compare the distance that spool pulls out to the one next to it to see if there is any significant difference before taking things apart.

Dan

View attachment 73927
Dan,
I finally got a chance to work on my tractor again after getting sent on long work trip. The valve is a HUSCO 9210B2A and seems consistent with the diagram you posted. I think you are correct about there being too much travel in the spool when I lift the buck up. Everything works correctly until the last 1/8th inch travel; then the buck stops lifting. I took the valve off the tractor and took the boom portion apart and took some pictures of the spool. I don't see any kind of adjustment for travel but maybe I am missing a spacer? Maybe it disintegrated an is allowing the spool to pull out to far. I did find something odd but I don't think relevant but I included a picture of it anyway. The little cup shaped piece (there are two of them) that holds the spring on the end of the spool had a small ring shaped portion break off. It still seemed to work as intended and the shaft of the spool cannot slide through it. I thought maybe the little ring piece that broke of was gumming up the works so I put everything back together and it still has the same issue. I found a kit for $90 on Amazon that seems to have the spring and keepers so I ordered it but I don't expect it to help.
John
402 FEL1.jpg
402FEL3.jpg

Attachments