B2710 aux lights

rquad

Equipment
B2710, 48" Land Pride cutter, 48" Land Pride box blade
Oct 16, 2014
GA
I bought a pair of LED floods and mounted them to my ROPS on my B2710. Now I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to hook them into the electrical system. I don't see any auxiliary connectors under the fenders like I've seen pictures of on other tractors.

What's the easiest way to hook up these lights? Do I need to splice into the headlights?

It would be nice to have a separate switch and fuse for them.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Run one black and one red wire minimum 12-ga automotive all the way to the battery terminals. Install a heavy-duty DC-rated switch in the wiring at a convenient location or at each lamp if not already part of lamp assembly. Fuse both wires as close to battery as possible (LEDs are 'electronic' and although unusual it is possible in certain circumstances to ground backwards through a lamp, potentially blowing the diodes that emit light). Use split loom when routing wires through engine compartment and use bushings through firewall or other pass-throughs.

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
When I installed my old square flood lights on my B2710 I used a relay to power the lights and wired the relay to turn on when the headlights turned on. This setup works but when the tractor is idling and the 4 flood lights are on (the old square type) I noticed that they started dimming after about 5 minutes.

This is the reason I am installing the 40amp alternator and I am going to run the wires to be powered from the alternator and not the battery (i.e. removing the regulator and connecting into the wire that powers accessories). I will then take this wire and connect it to the relay. This means the lights won't come on unless the engine is running (i.e. alternator providing power) but I won't drain the battery either. ;)

I am also installing new LED lights and I have installed a linear actuator for the snow blower so my power needs are exceeding what the dynamo can deliver (the red battery warning light stays on now... :( )

Still have not decided if I am going to use separate switches for the front flood lights and rear flood lights or just have them all come on when the headlights are turned on...

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I would suggest using a combination of Stubbyie and Keith's wiring. I have ran direct feeds from the battery, WITH an INLINE breaker. There are nice re settable ones on Amazon for like $15 or so. You want the breaker installed close to the battery. Then run your appropriate gauge wires for the draw (12ga should work fine for LED lighting) back to your load. You will want to split the positive wire at a relay that is activated by the light switch so you can turn your lights on and off with the Key/light switch. Works mint on my L3710 and should for your B2710 as well. I ended up triggering my relay with the lights on my rear fender and installing the relay in the toolbox that is attached to the ROPS on my L3710. You could hide your relay in your under seat toolbox on your B2710.

rquad

Equipment
Oct 16, 2014
GA
I appreciate the input, but this is still over my head. I guess I may have to get the dealer to hook them up. I don't know what connections to put on the battery, or how to hook up a relay or anything like that.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
If you're over your head and can't figure out connecting things to your battery safely, I agree the dealer is your best bet.

Everyone has different levels of experience, and also comfort trying new things. Wiring is pretty straightforward as long as you don't cross wires or route them so they get pinched or rub against a sharp edge.

If you aren't confident that the dealer will do a good job and/or charge you fairly, you might want to get a quote from a car stereo installer/vehicle customizer. They often do "cleaner" work than a dealer mechanic.

rquad

Equipment
Oct 16, 2014
GA
If you're over your head and can't figure out connecting things to your battery safely, I agree the dealer is your best bet.

Everyone has different levels of experience, and also comfort trying new things. Wiring is pretty straightforward as long as you don't cross wires or route them so they get pinched or rub against a sharp edge.

If you aren't confident that the dealer will do a good job and/or charge you fairly, you might want to get a quote from a car stereo installer/vehicle customizer. They often do "cleaner" work than a dealer mechanic.
That's pretty good advice. Dealer rates are pretty outrageous.