B2650 to a LX3310 is it worth it?

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
When i got my B2650 i wanted the B3350 but the dealer did not have it and i heard it had issues so i bought the B2650 instead. Now i see the LX3310 with the same DPF as other kubota tractors.

I wanted the extra HP at the rear PTO and on the tractor itself of course, i have found when mowing with the B2650 with a 60" belly mower it will bog down and choke up on thick heavy grass unless i raise the mower a little and re-mow it.

I don't know if extra HP would solve that issue or not as at times i feel like the kubota belly mower has issues getting rid of grass and bogs the tractor down because i have used gas mowers and they did not have a issue with the same grass (smaller deck of course) grass is dry and i clean the deck underside every summer.

I like the B series tractors because i want one do it all machine, mow, move snow, bush hog, move gravel etc.

It's main use is to mow the yard 3 acre and another 10 acre of field to bush hog, i have a 5 foot bush hog but it's to much for the B2650.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Are you mowing in the morning when the grass is wet? That might make a difference. However my first recommendation would be to move to a rotary cutter.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You will gain a bit more HP with a different loader, but otherwise, they are very similar. I don’t think it’s a good trade for you,

Have you also tried slowing down a little when the grass is high and making sure your blades are sharp?

You could also consider a bigger tractor with a mid PTO like the L3560LE or L4060LE with or without cab. That would be a significant upgrade. You would have to switch to a pull behind finish mower.

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
Are you mowing in the morning when the grass is wet? That might make a difference. However my first recommendation would be to move to a rotary cutter.
Nope grass is dry. Even going slow it chokes it, i leave the shoot thing up on the mower deck that helps.

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
You will gain a bit more HP with a different loader, but otherwise, they are very similar. I don’t think it’s a good trade for you,

Have you also tried slowing down a little when the grass is high and making sure your blades are sharp?

You could also consider a bigger tractor with a mid PTO like the L3560LE or L4060LE with or without cab. That would be a significant upgrade. You would have to switch to a pull behind finish mower.
I thought the LX3310 was the largest you could get with a mid pto?

I have thought about forgetting the mid mount stuff all together as it is tough sliding that 400 pound mower under there plus it seems like whenever something breaks it's always the mid mount.

Maybe a rear finish mower would be best but i'm un-sure how much power you need for a 60" or 72" mower.

The B2650 had a option for a 72" mid mount mower. It just seems underpowered if i have the loader and mid mount mower on it seems to take a big power hit.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Nope grass is dry. Even going slow it chokes it, i leave the shoot thing up on the mower deck that helps.
Thanks for responding. I am still going with the recommendation of a rotary cutter. It takes some getting used to (extra length out back, turning, backing up, etc) but that is the way to go with these tractors. Get the width sized for your machine. What is your rear wheel width?

Rotary Cutters | Land Pride

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

I have thought about forgetting the mid mount stuff all together as it is tough sliding that 400 pound mower under there plus it seems like whenever something breaks it's always the mid mount.

Maybe a rear finish mower would be best but i'm un-sure how much power you need for a 60" or 72" mower.

The B2650 had a option for a 72" mid mount mower. It just seems underpowered if i have the loader and mid mount mower on it seems to take a big power hit.

You can take the loader off correct? Have you tried that?

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
Thanks for responding. I am still going with the recommendation of a rotary cutter. It takes some getting used to (extra length out back, turning, backing up, etc) but that is the way to go with these tractors. Get the width sized for your machine. What is your rear wheel width?

Rotary Cutters | Land Pride
Trouble with the rotary cutters is they don't do a good job on your lawn. For a field it's fine. My next door neighbor has one i can use it's a 60" i think but when it's on my tractor the front end is very light with the loader off with the loader on it works but the rotary cutter feels to big for a B2650.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When i got my B2650 i wanted the B3350 but the dealer did not have it and i heard it had issues so i bought the B2650 instead. Now i see the LX3310 with the same DPF as other kubota tractors.

I wanted the extra HP at the rear PTO and on the tractor itself of course, i have found when mowing with the B2650 with a 60" belly mower it will bog down and choke up on thick heavy grass unless i raise the mower a little and re-mow it.

I don't know if extra HP would solve that issue or not as at times i feel like the kubota belly mower has issues getting rid of grass and bogs the tractor down because i have used gas mowers and they did not have a issue with the same grass (smaller deck of course) grass is dry and i clean the deck underside every summer.

I like the B series tractors because i want one do it all machine, mow, move snow, bush hog, move gravel etc.

It's main use is to mow the yard 3 acre and another 10 acre of field to bush hog, i have a 5 foot bush hog but it's to much for the B2650.
It sounds like your B2650 is HP limited as you sometimes use it.

The B3350 and new lX3310 is much more powerful than the B2650, 35+%, IIRC. (Don't have the spec sheets in front of me and am not taking the time to get them out but will do so if anyone challenges.) This is an enormous power increase. Moreover, the common rail fuel injection allows the use of a much more responsive electronic governor.

There have been numerous threads herein and on TBN about folks having unrealistic expectations regarding B2650 capability, especially when burdened with steep ground, optional, oversized tires, liquid ballast, heavy 6' three point mounted finish mowers, leaving the heavy FEL mounted while mowing, etc. The HP increase of the B3350/LX3310 addresses most such issues. Indeed, the 27 PTO HP of the B3350/LX3310 is only 1 PTO HP less than that of the much larger and heavier L3560 and the smaller, lighter B series uses considerably less HP simply moving itself and is more maneuverable. Think about that for a bit.

If your B2650 is traction limited you will gain nothing by upgrading to an LX3310 but if you are HP limited, you will gain a great deal.

I have a late model (fully up to date) B3350 that I had planned to replace with either an LX3310 or L3560 but have now changed my mind since Kubota decided to increase the emissions warranty of the B3350 to "lifetime." Where else can one find a lifetime emissions warranty?

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Kubota still offers MMMs for the smaller L series but they are not popular.

I would not advise a 72" finish mower for use with your B2650, either MMM or three point mounted, unless your conditions are IDEAL.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Trouble with the rotary cutters is they don't do a good job on your lawn. For a field it's fine. My next door neighbor has one i can use it's a 60" i think but when it's on my tractor the front end is very light with the loader off with the loader on it works but the rotary cutter feels to big for a B2650.
Bingo.

Rough cut rotary mowers are just that. Rough cut.

They are meant for fields rather than lawns.

I use a 60" rough cut rotary cutter with my B3350 (sometimes steep ground) and use a full set of front weights when doing so.

SDT

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
It sounds like your B2650 is HP limited as you sometimes use it.

The B3350 and new lX3310 is much more powerful than the B2650, 35+%, IIRC. (Don't have the spec sheets in front of me and am not taking the time to get them out but will do so if anyone challenges.) This is an enormous power increase. Moreover, the common rail fuel injection allows the use of a much more responsive electronic governor.

There have been numerous threads herein and on TBN about folks having unrealistic expectations regarding B2650 capability, especially when burdened with steep ground, optional, oversized tires, liquid ballast, heavy 6' three point mounted finish mowers, leaving the heavy FEL mounted while mowing, etc. The HP increase of the B3350/LX3310 addresses most such issues. Indeed, the 27 PTO HP of the B3350/LX3310 is only 1 PTO HP less than that of the much larger and heavier L3560 and the smaller, lighter B series uses considerably less HP simply moving itself and is more maneuverable. Think about that for a bit.

If your B2650 is traction limited you will gain nothing by upgrading to an LX3310 but if you are HP limited, you will gain a great deal.

I have a late model (fully up to date) B3350 that I had planned to replace with either an LX3310 or L3560 but have now changed my mind since Kubota decided to increase the emissions warranty of the B3350 to "lifetime." Where else can one find a lifetime emissions warranty?

SDT
My tires are also filled so there is more weight, i'm on flat ground when it feels like i need more HP cutting thick grass.

I have a few 3 point implements so moving to a larger tractor would be a pain. I have a land pride 3pt snow blower, rear blade, 72" kubota quick attach front blade and a friend with a 60" bush hog that is to big for a B2650.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think you may have a problem clearing the grass - if you're cutting reasonably low there's nowhere for the grass to go other than out the chute, and that takes a little time no matter how much HP you have. More HP may chop it up more finely, but it's still gotta get out that chute.

A rear finish mower would avoid that - they usually discharge straight out the back and so can clear a lot more grass.

It sounds like you're mowing only grass, not pasture/saplings etc like you'd need a rotary cutter for. I guess the question is why your grass is so tall - sounds like you're trying to mow infrequently, but still wanting a finish level of quality. Not sure that's a reasonable expectation with any mower, although a flail would probably come closest.

Or is your grass just very thick - perhaps in an area with good rainfall and good growing conditions? Certainly here in spring I mow twice a week in order to have a good finish and not have clippings everywhere.

Reactions: 2 users

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
I think you may have a problem clearing the grass - if you're cutting reasonably low there's nowhere for the grass to go other than out the chute, and that takes a little time no matter how much HP you have. More HP may chop it up more finely, but it's still gotta get out that chute.

A rear finish mower would avoid that - they usually discharge straight out the back and so can clear a lot more grass.

It sounds like you're mowing only grass, not pasture/saplings etc like you'd need a rotary cutter for. I guess the question is why your grass is so tall - sounds like you're trying to mow infrequently, but still wanting a finish level of quality. Not sure that's a reasonable expectation with any mower, although a flail would probably come closest.

Or is your grass just very thick - perhaps in an area with good rainfall and good growing conditions? Certainly here in spring I mow twice a week in order to have a good finish and not have clippings everywhere.

I do cut it short it's set to the lowest setting. When i mow the taller grass i raise it all the way up then go back over it at a lower setting.

Question is would a rear finish mower with a rear discharge have the same issue? They look to have a much wider chute.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I do cut it short it's set to the lowest setting. When i mow the taller grass i raise it all the way up then go back over it at a lower setting.

Question is would a rear finish mower with a rear discharge have the same issue? They look to have a much wider chute.
A rear finish mower will not make much difference in your regard but will likely be heavier requiring more HP simply to move uphill. You will also be mowing grass that has been rolled over by both front and rear tractor tires rather than just the fronts.

The MMMs used with the B2650/3360, both 60" and 72", are very good terrain following mowers having substantial grass clearance unlike the suspended decks used with other Kubota tractors. They clear very well but, of course, there are limits to everything.

I have a very similar 60" MMM on my B1750 and occasionally mow thick, overly tall grass with it. Though I may need to slow down through the the thickest stuff, I never have clearing problems.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A rear finish mower will not make much difference in your regard but will likely be heavier requiring more HP simply to move uphill. You will also be mowing grass that has been rolled over by both front and rear tractor tires rather than just the fronts.

The MMMs used with the B2650/3360, both 60" and 72", are very good terrain following mowers having substantial grass clearance unlike the suspended decks used with other Kubota tractors. They cle3ar very well but, of course, there are limits to everything.

I have a very similar 60" MMM on my B1750 and occasionally mow thick, overly tall grass with it. Though I may need to slow down through the the thickest stuff, I never have clearing problems.

My MMMs, both 60" and 72", cut very short at minimum gage wheel settings and I cannot mow so closely due to uneven terrain where either would scalp. I would raise it an inch or 1 1/2" and try again.

SDT

Last edited:

David9723

Equipment
B2650
Sep 28, 2013
VA
For comparison when i use a B7800 i can tell a huge difference when compared to my B2650 in power. It just feels more commanding! when bush hogging the field...if that makes sense :)

With the B7800 it does not slow down with the loader and bush hog attached going up a slope. It's front end gets light to if you leave on the bush hog on and take off the loader but man i miss that nice seat and arms rest, tilting steering of the B2650.

No one has a LX3310 near by as of yet. Does anyone know if that has a turbo on it? The motor it uses is a Model # V1505. I have seen some sites saying that it uses a turbo.