B2650 PTO engages with a bang

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
My B3300 has a clutch pedal which makes engaging the PTO very smooth. But when I hauled my brothers new B2650 out to his property for him I was surprised it lacks a clutch. We tried moving the PTO lever slowly but even doing that the shredder hooked up to the PTO engages with a bang. Is this normal on the 2650? Is there a way to bring the PTO into gear smoothly on the 2650? BTW, we are engaging the PTO at idle speed, anything above that and it would be downright violent!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
That machine has a PTO clutch LEVER rather than a pedal. I believe it's the closest one to the operators seat on the left side. I believe it is directly in front of the PTO selector lever.

Last edited:

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I have only used the MMM on mine, but when it was brand new, it engaged rather harshly. It has gotten smoother, but is still more abrupt than the clutch pedal on my B2400. Apparently the hydraulic clutch for the pto isn't as progressive as the dry clutch that engages it on my old B2400.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
MikeyA, can you move the lever slowly and bring the PTO up to speed like you would do with a foot operated clutch or as you move the lever slowly it just reaches a point where it kind of suddenly fully engages? That is really my question.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
That machine has a PTO clutch LEVER rather than a pedal. I believe it's the closest one to the operators seat on the left side. I believe it is directly in front of the PTO selector lever.
Yes, we know where the lever is. The issue is that it has a light switch type of operation. With the tractor at idle, moving the lever slowely until you reach a certain point then it is like flipping a switch, it seems to go from zero power to the PTO to 100% power instantly. Maybe with some implements it isn't too harsh but a 60 inch rough cut shredder it really BANGS into motion.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My neighbors BX is like that. That's why I love the clutch pedal on my B2620.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
On my B2650, I can engage the pto at any rpm with out a problem.
The pto lever acts like the clutch on my x B3200. Just ease the lever forward, and the rotary cutter or finish mower spin up to speed quietly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I guess it isn't as hard on things as hitting something with the shredder while mowing and the PTO running at full speed but it sure sounds harsh.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
On my B2650, I can engage the pto at any rpm with out a problem.
The pto lever acts like the clutch on my x B3200. Just ease the lever forward, and the rotary cutter or finish mower spin up to speed quietly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm, that makes me wonder if there is a linkage adjustment or something. I would have thought that it should work like that. The dealership had the shredder hooked up when we picked up the tractor so I'd think they would have tried it.

Reactions: 1 user

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Bikerdib, I played with mine a little today to see how gently I could engage pto, and it is becoming smoother. Like I said, when mine was brand new, it didn't matter how gently I tried to engage pto, it was still abrupt. Today, with 55 hours on the clock, I was able to engage it as smooth as the foot clutch on my older model. I think it will get better with time and practice for you.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Thanks and I hope it does get better. That is his only concern about the tractor so far but my brother really doesn't like the way it engages and I can't say I blame him.

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
I have a B2650 that I bought last year and while I've only used the MMM I don't have any harshness engaging my PTO. I always engage at idle as the manual recommends and move the lever slowly and my mower begins spinning up smoothly and then I just throttle up to my 540 PTO speed and go, does a great job mows better than any thing I have previously used, this is with a 60" deck.

I might add that once you get the suspension seat adjusted properly to your weight this is a Cadillac to mow on, has the best power steering of any thing I have ever driven.

Last edited:

Snowman59

Equipment
B2650
Jul 9, 2020
Central Wisconsin
Hello everyone - I just wanted to follow up with the B2650 users to find out if the PTO does indeed engage with less force over time. I just bought a new B2650 about 3 weeks ago and have already broken 4 shear bolts on my Ford 930A finish mower. I owned a B8200 with a manual transmission for 26 years and never once broken the shear bolt on the very same mower. The mower is working fine - there is no excessive resistance when turning the gearbox or moving the blades by hand. The bolts snap the instant I engage the PTO. I have the engine throttled down as low is it will go as well as engage the PTO lever slowly.
I ended up installing a grade 5 bolt in the mower the last time around so I could get my mowing done, but don't want to risk damaging my equipment.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Engage mower near idle rpm, then rev up to speed before mowing. Never heard of grade 3 bolt. Used to 2, 5 or 8 bolts at farm stores.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a B2650 with 200 hours on it.

My PTO engages smooth on my tiller and finish mower.

I do not understand the workings of the hydraulic engagement, or if there is an adjustment to it, but it would seem like there would be some method to adjust the engagement.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My B3300 has a clutch pedal which makes engaging the PTO very smooth. But when I hauled my brothers new B2650 out to his property for him I was surprised it lacks a clutch. We tried moving the PTO lever slowly but even doing that the shredder hooked up to the PTO engages with a bang. Is this normal on the 2650? Is there a way to bring the PTO into gear smoothly on the 2650? BTW, we are engaging the PTO at idle speed, anything above that and it would be downright violent!
Unfortunately, there is no way to feather PTO engagement on the B2650, B3350, and other similar tractors.

This is one of the significant complaints that I have about these tractors.

Always engage the PTO at low engine RPM (as low as possible without stalling the engine) to minimize drive line shock.

Always return engine RPM to idle before disengaging the PTO on any tractor with a PTO brake.

SDT

Snowman59

Equipment
B2650
Jul 9, 2020
Central Wisconsin
I wonder if a PTO slip clutch would help reduce some of the drive line shock when first starting up equipment on these models of tractors? I have a PTO driven wood chipper on order, and can't imagine spinning up a 100 lb flywheel instantly without something breaking.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Engage mower near idle rpm, then rev up to speed before mowing. Never heard of grade 3 bolt. Used to 2, 5 or 8 bolts at farm stores.
EXACTLY. Always engage the PTO at an idle or just above an idle, never at speed. All you are doing by engaging the PTO at speed is destroying the PTO clutch pack, which I'm sure will last past your warranty and then you'll be replacing the clutch pack at your own expense.

Hint, to replace the pack involves splitting the tractor.

I can adjust the lockup pressure on my M9's, not sure about the smaller tractors, I would imagine you can and the WSM calls out the pressure value Kubota recommends for pack lockup.

I run many implements, from round balers to choppers to rakes to disc mowers to grain elevators and each require a different engagement speed but non are much above an idle.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always return engine RPM to idle before disengaging the PTO on any tractor with a PTO brake.

Or use an over running coupler if the implement don't have one built into the driveline.

What I do with my choppers because bade inertia keeps the driveline turning for a while after the PTO is disengaged.