B2650 fuel leak even after service visit

nrbocke

Mar 13, 2017
Prosser, NE, United Sates
Hi everyone

I have a 2017 B2650 with around 190 hours. I've been changing the fuel filter and cleaning the bowl every year since I've had my tractor with no issue. This spring after I was done I had a very small leak from the threads that comes off the bottom of the bowl. I've never had any kind of leak before. I used a filter that included gaskets from Kumar Brothers(local dealer didn't have gaskets in stock). Will this weekend I decided to try and fix it. Everything looked fine but I thought gasket looked a little off (didn't quite sit flat in the grove of the bowl) so I tried another one I had from Kumar. Everything seemed fine but now it leaked a lot worse. Almost filled up 32oz bucket over night. I couldn't figure anything up so called the dealer.
They came right out and he figured right out gasket was too big. Everything else looked good. He was just finishing up when I got there so he didn't know the gasket wasn't from them. Everything looked good and he left. Well today I'm back to having a small leak again! I have no idea what to try now. The filter is from Kumar, should I try a Kubota filter from the dealership? Does the whole assembly need changed out?
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have seen strange situations where an old gasket was left in place accidentally and after new gaskets were put on top of the old one.

Small leaks were the result.

Check very carefully that an old gasket is not stuck in the housing

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi everyone

I have a 2017 B2650 with around 190 hours. I've been changing the fuel filter and cleaning the bowl every year since I've had my tractor with no issue. This spring after I was done I had a very small leak from the threads that comes off the bottom of the bowl. I've never had any kind of leak before. I used a filter that included gaskets from Kumar Brothers(local dealer didn't have gaskets in stock). Will this weekend I decided to try and fix it. Everything looked fine but I thought gasket looked a little off (didn't quite sit flat in the grove of the bowl) so I tried another one I had from Kumar. Everything seemed fine but now it leaked a lot worse. Almost filled up 32oz bucket over night. I couldn't figure anything up so called the dealer.
They came right out and he figured right out gasket was too big. Everything else looked good. He was just finishing up when I got there so he didn't know the gasket wasn't from them. Everything looked good and he left. Well today I'm back to having a small leak again! I have no idea what to try now. The filter is from Kumar, should I try a Kubota filter from the dealership? Does the whole assembly need changed out?
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Get a complete filter assembly from a Kubota dealer and replace yours. It may be the cup or it may be the head. It may have been damaged from the wrong size o-ring.
Read the Kumar Bros reviews. I have had several units brought in with their >It kind of fits < offerings.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Does your filter assy look like this?
Mine dripped fuel and I changed the O-ring… didn’t help. (But I did discover the previous owner/someone unknown had re-assembled the shut-off-selector incorrectly ….and it would NOT shut off the fuel.… big, unhappy surprise trying to stop the gusher when I removed the bowl.):confused:

(There is a spring-washer behind the lever which was installed incorrectly. I believe someone had previously attempted to resolve the drip and suspected the shut-off lever/valve and reassembled it wrongly.)
I reassembled the selector valve correctly and put it all back together and it still dripped.

I finally discovered that the EXIT fitting (indicated with the red arrow) was only a Press-Fit !

THAT was the leak! Fuel would slowly seep around that pressed-in fitting and saturate the bowl…making it appear the bowl gasket/O-ring was the culprit.

I cleaned it up with aerosol electronics-cleaner and JB-Weld to the rescue! Let it sit overnight and turned the fuel selector back ON…. and … VOILA! No more leak. (2 years now.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

nrbocke

Mar 13, 2017
Does your filter assy look like this?
Mine dripped fuel and I changed the O-ring… didn’t help. (But I did discover the previous owner/someone unknown had re-assembled the shut-off-selector incorrectly ….and it would NOT shut off the fuel.… big, unhappy surprise trying to stop the gusher when I removed the bowl.):confused:

(There is a spring-washer behind the lever which was installed incorrectly. I believe someone had previously attempted to resolve the drip and suspected the shut-off lever/valve and reassembled it wrongly.)
I reassembled the selector valve correctly and put it all back together and it still dripped.

I finally discovered that the EXIT fitting (indicated with the red arrow) was only a Press-Fit !

THAT was the leak! Fuel would slowly seep around that pressed-in fitting and saturate the bowl…making it appear the bowl gasket/O-ring was the culprit.

I cleaned it up with aerosol electronics-cleaner and JB-Weld to the rescue! Let it sit overnight and turned the fuel selector back ON…. and … VOILA! No more leak. (2 years now.)
Thanks for putting all this together. No, my fuel assembly doesn't have a manual shut off and doesn't look quite like the one in the picture. Mine uses a check valve and that is still working. When you remove the bowl the fuel shuts itself off. Starts flowing again when you thread the bowl back in.

nrbocke

Mar 13, 2017
Get a complete filter assembly from a Kubota dealer and replace yours. It may be the cup or it may be the head. It may have been damaged from the wrong size o-ring.
Read the Kumar Bros reviews. I have had several units brought in with their >It kind of fits < offerings.
I wondered if this would be the end result... Think it's worth trying the Kubota filter first?

nrbocke

Mar 13, 2017
I have seen strange situations where an old gasket was left in place accidentally and after new gaskets were put on top of the old one.

Small leaks were the result.

Check very carefully that an old gasket is not stuck in the housing

Dave
Thanks- I've checked about 4 different times (which doesn't mean much) and I had the Kubota service tech double check also. So I think that's ok

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks- I've checked about 4 different times (which doesn't mean much) and I had the Kubota service tech double check also. So I think that's ok
Follow advice from people like Whitetiger and Lugbolt, these are the guys in the business and have the best advice.

If Whitetiger says to buy a complete new assembly, do so knowing your problem will be solved.

Dave