B2650 Finalizing Build

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
OK, I have to stop kicking tires and put together a final list. My gut tells me the B2650 is what to go with after much deliberation and based on the experiences of many others.

Quick refresh, this is primarily for grading sand and gravel driveway, plowing snow, moving dirt and mulch, knocking over some small brush (2-3" stuff), eventually getting a grapple to move brush, eventually getting a MMM to mow 3/4 acre with. Earliest needs are driveway maintenance and snow removal. I'll use the FEL to start with snow removal and see how it goes before looking into a front blade or rear blade. Will be getting a box blade, TnT, and adding two float detent valves (requires 3 valves total because first MUST be a double acting valve). Also interested in a Quick Hitch but not sure what is best suited for the B2650.

I'll update the list of items in this first post as I go, based on feedback from you guys! Just looking for a finalized list to present to dealers for quotes and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

2018 B2650 Kubota Build:
  • B2650HSD
  • ABR8742 & ABR8744 TURF TIRES (R3)
  • BL7343 TWO SPOOL BANKING KIT
  • BL7353 3RD POSITION VALVE MOUNTING KIT
  • B7309C 1ST POSITION DOUBLE ACTING VALVE KIT
  • BL7393 FLOAT DETENT VALVE (first float)
  • BL7393 FLOAT DETENT VALVE (second float)
  • LA534A FRONT LOADER PACKAGE
  • B2366 MECH 2 LVR QUICK COUPLER
  • B2356 60" LIGHT MATERIAL QUICK ATTACH BUCKET
  • B7308A 3RD FUNCTION VALVE KIT FOR ROPS
Suggested List Price w/ Options: $23,203.00

Additional Implements, Hardware, Misc:
  • LP QH15 Quick Hitch
  • Top and Tilt Kit
  • LP BB2560 60" Box Blade
  • Piranha Tooth Bar
  • Insurance (Have to verify homeowner coverage, if not will go with Kubota coverage)

Questions
  1. Which TnT Kit? Fit-Rite has an 18 week wait time currently. Any other options you'd recommend? Any to steer clear of that a dealer might want to include?
  2. Which Quick Hitch do you recommend? Any to steer clear of that a dealer might want to include?
  3. Thinking about that Piranha Tooth Bar for the brush clearing work. Lot of soft held shrubs/brush in sand that should pull right out with ease. Figure this is perfect for that. Agree?
  4. Anything else I'm overlooking?

Last edited:

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
Questions
  1. Which TnT Kit? Fit-Rite has an 18 week wait time currently. Any other options you'd recommend? Any to steer clear of that a dealer might want to include?
  2. Which Quick Hitch do you recommend? Any to steer clear of that a dealer might want to include?
  3. Thinking about that Piranha Tooth Bar for the brush clearing work. Lot of soft held shrubs/brush in sand that should pull right out with ease. Figure this is perfect for that. Agree?
  4. Anything else I'm overlooking?
That is a solid build. I'll pass on the TnT kit question. For the quick hitch, I don't think you can go wrong with Landpride. Just make sure you look for implements that are compatible with it. I have several LP attachments and am very happy with them. Definitely get the tooth bar. I have ripped up bushes, roots, and whole trees with it and it even makes driving into a pile of material easier. The only thing I question is the 60 inch light material bucket. Why go that route? You will be limiting what you can do since you will not be able to fill it with heavy materials.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
One more note. I have turfs on my 2650 and wish that I had gone with R4s. I hardly drive it on the "nice" part of my lawn and often lose traction when digging and driving into very heavy materials.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Nice build. I like getting it all at the start mantra. I just got on FitRite's wait list and will install it as soon as it comes in. Likewise I ordered the EA Wicked Root Grapple and will just have to wait for it to come in. There is plenty I can get done while waiting on those implements. The dealer is has my 3rd function kit in but is waiting on the rear remotes and the telescoping stabilizers. I'm going out to sign the 0% finance papers, has to be done before the end of this month. When I'm there I'm going to measure my FEL bucket to fit a Piranha Bar. Apparently they don't use the spec list but get a true measurement within 1/4". I hope to get it delivered before the weekend as the grass is almost knee high! Get yours ordered so they can get all the parts on the way. My L2501 was in stock but it is still taking 2 weeks to get in my hands because they don't keep the extra hydraulics on hand.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You will be limiting what you can do since you will not be able to fill it with heavy materials.
My assumption would be that you can put as much material in a light bucket as a heavy bucket - i.e. a light bucket part full is as much as a heavy bucket all the way full. So no real disadvantage.

Advantages, on the other hand, are you can lift more of light materials, but more importantly as a new tractor owner, if you're not good at filling the bucket you still get a decent bite with a larger bucket (i.e. if your talent is only enough to half fill the bucket anyway, it'll work just fine).

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Good points Paul.

I've found that the machine will lift a full bucket of whatever with the 60" bucket. Honestly, if it fits in the bucket, it will lift it (other than the occasional VERY large builder. You will just need to learn to curl the bucket a bit more when taking a bite.

I would not have a bucket narrower than my rear implements. Anyway, that's been my experience.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I just picked up mine this past weekend. Really happy I opted for the turfs instead of the R4s. I haven't had any slippage yet, but they are weighted and the backhoe is solid ballast. I had no problems pushing into a pile of clay, rock for a full bucket. If I was planning on significant ground work, I probably would have went with the industials.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Seems well equipped to me, I think you'll like your B2650.

I went back and forth between turfs and R4's (had both on my previous B7500). R4's are a little stiffer which make the fronts maybe a little better for loader work, and their coarse tread offers more traction on damp dirt and mud. But they do tear into the lawn somewhat especially at sharp turns. I discovered they don't give as much traction on snow which surprised me. Also not as much side traction on grass or snow. Going sideways on a bank say on wet grass the rear would often slip out when I had R4's on but never did with turfs. I ended up ordering mine with turfs and when I'm doing much loader work I just puff the fronts up a few more psi.

I went with the 60" bucket and find it'll lift it when completely full of gravel (just LOL). Obviously it's a little better for moving snow, firewood, and other light stuff. I've actually been toying with picking up a 48" bucket (I have a 48" tooth bar) just for digging.

You may as well order a deck with the tractor if you think you'll want one anyway, probably get a discount buying everything together.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've actually been toying with picking up a 48" bucket (I have a 48" tooth bar) just for digging.
I kept my 48" ATI toothbar when I traded the BX23. Neighbor of mine cut out the middle and added a section to be used on the 60" bucket. Works fine and costs way less than a new toothbar. Maybe it would work for you as well?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I am going with R3 turfs because I've read they are better in snow and sand (my soil here is very sandy), and I also plan on mowing with them, so all around I think they'll be better for my purposes.

I also read the "light duty" 60" bucket is the same material thickness build as the 54" bucket. I'd rather have more bucket and just put less in it than need more bucket and not have it. Plus I think it will be better to have something wider than the tractor as others have mentioned.

I'm waiting to hear back from my local dealer on a quote. I also emailed Messicks, but never heard back (about a week now). Probably going to run out of time before the August deals run out, so I'll have to wait and see what the next Kubota deals are.

Anyone have any thoughts on the QH15 vs QH10? I tend to go beefier for the added cost.

Also mower wise, I've been seeing some good deals on CL and FB Marketplace for MMMs that fit the B...mostly 60" models. One out there in my area for $1000 right now, looks virtually brand new. So I figured I'd wait and see as I may possibly go in the direction of a separate mower. If not, I think I'd just look for a good MMM being sold used and then get the mulching kit for it.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I did not get a mmm for mine. I already had a Ferris mower that absolutely rips. I've used my dad's BX with mmm to mow, and while it was nice, it's still substantially slower than a commercial ZT mower. They say money can't buy time, I disagree. My mow time went from 3 1/5 hours down to just over one hour. At once a week, 10 months a year, that adds up. If you have a big field to mow, the 2650 with mmm will do great. If you have buildings, trees, bushes, etc to maneuver around, a ZT mower will save you lots of time. Good luck with your build. Whatever you get, you'll enjoy it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I would have to agree with the statement above. I thought I read that OP has under an acre to mow. I wouldn't want to fool around with a kubota MMM for that. A residential ZT would be the ticket. It'd be finished in about the same time it would take to mount/dismount a MMM.

Don't mean to spend OP's money, but that's what I'd suggest.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
One nice thing about mowing with your new tractor is you get to spend more time on it. :D

The decks go on and off easy especially if you have an FEL to lift the front up a little. You can use the FEL with the deck on for many tasks but if you need the extra ground clearance or to maneuver between close things simply disconnect, raise the front and pull the deck straight out (it rolls on 4 swivel casters).
Attaching the deck is just as easy in reverse then remove the FEL which takes maybe 1-2 minutes and your back to mowing.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Yeah I'll have to weigh out the mower approach. I originally was going to go with a 72 MMM to get the August discount for an implement but added the BB instead. That 72 MMM is like $3500 :eek:

There is a 60 MMM on FB for like $1000, so that's a huge savings. I don't have a lot of trees to navigate really. Current landscaper uses a ZT and is done mowing in about 15-20 min but he tears the hell out of my lawn braking and spinning. I'd rather take my time and get a nice cut with no burnouts.

I'll see what the fall blowouts look like...I may snag that 60 MMM or grab a ZT if there is a good deal on one.

Also, I just filled out the credit app, waiting to hear back (should be fine) to lock in the rebates and discounts for August (expires today). My dealer worked with me to knock off some more when I presented a lower quote. They didn't match, but they lowered it enough that I'm getting a reasonable discount, I think in the 9% +/- off MSRP (but 2-3% of that is the Kubota discounts) . Hopefully with a little luck, everything goes smoothly and I'll have my B2650 here in a few weeks!

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats Clover...I'm sure you'll find many uses for it...it's a great landscaping machine. :D

PS...I think I saw the very same MMM you were seeing as well. I had considered it but, my property is so wet, there's now way I could mow with the B2650.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Congrats Clover...I'm sure you'll find many uses for it...it's a great landscaping machine. :D

PS...I think I saw the very same MMM you were seeing as well. I had considered it but, my property is so wet, there's now way I could mow with the B2650.
Yes, likely the same one it's out in PA! I'm curious to see how the B2650 is on my lawn, if it winds up rutting at all, I'll have to go another direction for lawn mowing and doing my mulching tasks. But the tractor will be great for my driveway, plowing, and woods management. I can't wait to just get this place cleaned up some. Lot of deadwood, overgrown areas, and want to add some more gravel landing pads for parking, a woodshed, etc. Definitely going to have some fun with it! Bit of a learning curve, but hopefully that goes smoothly as well, I've outfitted as best I can based on research, now it's time to put the petal to the metal and learn! :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Clover, sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you, but it will be much more fun with a tractor. If you have lots of wood to move, perhaps consider a set of pallet forks (inexpensive version of a grapple). You'll likely find many uses for them as well. There are some quite reasonable varieties available.

PS...don't mean to spend your money for you...I'm only making a suggestion for a very useful tool.

Enjoy your new machine. :)

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
At the dealer now inspecting my new tractor. Just wondering how much of this you'd balk at. I'm a first time buyer so not sure what's normal. I know stuff will get dinged up but as factory new I wouldn't expect gouges, paint chipped off and rust.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ugh. I'd ask them to fix it.