B2650 Excess Dust In Cab Fix ???

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
Had a midmount mower installed on my B2650 with cab last week and when picking it up talked with the owner of the dealership who was in the process of ordering a B2650 with cab for himself and was asking me what could be improved on the unit. I gave him my list of three complaints then asked him a question....

Why does the inside of the cab get so dusty? I drive exclusively with the AC or heater on with the outside vent shut closed and the inside of this tractor gets dust everywhere. He told me it was because of all the openings in the floor and I needed to tape them over. What??? So when I get home I pull back the rubber floor mat and foam boards and sure enough there are seven areas
that are open to the outside, some pretty large. I used duct tape to close them up and am still in a quandary how dust could get past the foam insulation and around the rubber mat but figured 10 minutes of my time and 30 cents worth of duct tape was a good try. Just thought I would pass this on to others who might have allergys. It is hot and dusty here!!! :)

Last edited:

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Jun 14, 2017
PS- My three complaints on the B2650 which otherwise is a great tractor.
(1) The hydraulic whine is outrageous. I know others on this forum say it is not that bad but I wonder how many other brands in this same size they have driven? My Ford 1215 and my brothers new JD are whisper quiet compared to my B2650.
(2) The seat rocks back and forth on bumpy pasture, makes a metal to metal noise, and after a while gets annoying. I have looked underneath and see no place to tighten anything up in the area that moves. A mechanic at the dealership said they get a lot of complaints about seats doing this but Kubota says it is not a problem.....
(3) The stubby 2 inch lever under the seat to put the unit into 4 wheel drive is way too short and most times almost impossible to activate.

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
(3) The stubby 2 inch lever under the seat to put the unit into 4 wheel drive is way too short and most times almost impossible to activate.
The 4WD lever is like the L-M-H range lever: You need to feather the hydro pedal to take the load off the drive train before shifting it.

The seat IS less than perfect and I think the problem is that it's designed for MUCH lighter operators. I have mine set on the highest preload and it nearly bottoms just when I sit my 200 pound carcass on it. ANY bump and it runs out of travel.

This seems to be a common issue with Japanese equipment of any sort. They appear to assume that most Americans weigh 150 pounds or less. I had to upgrade the suspension on my motorcycle with heavier springs for the same reason.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
............Why does the inside of the cab get so dusty? I drive exclusively with the AC or heater on with the outside vent shut closed and the inside of this tractor gets dust everywhere. .....................
This is interesting to me because recently I've been considering a tractor with a factory cab, in part to get away from the dust and pollen. I wonder if you'd be better off with the outside vent open? Could it be that filtered air from the outside coming into the cab would create a certain amount of positive pressure in the cab and prevent entry of the dust?

In the vehicles I drive, I never use the "recirc" setting. This isn't to avoid dust though. Years ago one of the Chevy trucks I had generated an unpleasant odor when using the A/C without having the fresh air coming in.

Can't say if the vents in tractors work the same as those in cars and trucks, but a couple weeks ago I did a quick wash on the Tahoe on a really hot day. Not wanting to hit the superheated windshield with water (lesson learned with an F150) I started the A/C for a few minutes before hosing it. My "in a hurry 9 minute" method is wet it, apply car wash soap with a small spray bottle, scrub whole vehicle with a long handled soft brush and rinse. The truck blew some impressive bubbles around the door and tailgate seals.

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Jun 14, 2017
QUOTE This is interesting to me because recently I've been considering a tractor with a factory cab, in part to get away from the dust and pollen. I wonder if you'd be better off with the outside vent open? Could it be that filtered air from the outside coming into the cab would create a certain amount of positive pressure in the cab and prevent entry of the dust? QUOTE

During cooler temperatures opening the fresh air option might be something to try but at this time of year it is a no go. We are running 100 degree + temperatures during the day right now and the usual great cooling this unit does will not compensate for the introduction of the 100 degree air. I park my tractors in the barn which is shaded so starting out with all the glass at ambient temperature and the AC on high the cab stays very comfy but if the tractor sits in the sun too long not running and the fresh air inlet open the temperatures inside gets a tiny bit uncomfortable. As one can see there is a whole lot of glass on the cab with such a small tractor. I am considering having the upper 2/3rds. Of the glass on the windshield and doors tinted.
My larger NH T4.75 will freeze the driver out in any temperatures and has dual blowers but the unit on the B2650, though great, is limited in extreme high heat.

Last edited:

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Jun 14, 2017
The dust film in the cab is really a minor first world problem, but I keep the insides of my cabs pristine and even have carpet in the larger unit, LOL! I have terrible foot problems and drive in my socks.
Having said that I wish I had cabbed tractors long ago as the pluses far outweigh any minuses. No more excess heat, no more freezing rain and no more imported fire ants being exploded at the driver when one shreds over a mound. Also no more mosquitos!
I mowed for 11 hours yesterday in 103 degrees and it was a pleasure. In the Winter it gets better. Our rural garbage service does not come on the property so I take the garbage at 5am in the morning once a week out to the front gate. When it is cold, blustery and raining it is pure misery for me. I hate cold rainy weather! I now have our garbage in a large container on a pallet and now happily cart it to the front gate with a fresh cup of coffee in hand inside a toasty warm cab! Ah, life is good.......:)
PS_ Only pain for me with cabs are the side mirrors as we live in a Pecan Orchard with lots of trees. I took the mirrors off and they sit on a shelf in the barn.....

Zakatak

Mar 30, 2020
Louisiana
QUOTE This is interesting to me because recently I've been considering a tractor with a factory cab, in part to get away from the dust and pollen. I wonder if you'd be better off with the outside vent open? Could it be that filtered air from the outside coming into the cab would create a certain amount of positive pressure in the cab and prevent entry of the dust? QUOTE

During cooler temperatures opening the fresh air option might be something to try but at this time of year it is a no go. We are running 100 degree + temperatures during the day right now and the usual great cooling this unit does will not compensate for the introduction of the 100 degree air. I park my tractors in the barn which is shaded so starting out with all the glass at ambient temperature and the AC on high the cab stays very comfy but if the tractor sits in the sun too long not running and the fresh air inlet open the temperatures inside gets a tiny bit uncomfortable. As one can see there is a whole lot of glass on the cab with such a small tractor. I am considering having the upper 2/3rds. Of the glass on the windshield and doors tinted.
My larger NH T4.75 will freeze the driver out in any temperatures and has dual blowers but the unit on the B2650, though great, is limited in extreme high heat.

Utopia Texas,

I realize this thread is a couple of years old. Just wondering if you still had a favorable opinion on the B2650. Did you solve the dust problem by taping up the holes in the floor? Is the AC sufficient for our summers in the south? I'm in the humid South Louisiana climate so the AC will get a workout regardless. I'm interested in a B2650 or LX2610 with cab and a 72" MMM and FEL.

TIA