B2650 coolant leaks, check those hose clamps

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have noticed a small loss of coolant i.e. the reservoir level gets a bit lower every once in a while over the 5 years since new. Checked the pressure cap, seemed ok, so let it go until yesterday when the obvious smell of coolant steam made me stop to check it out.
Opening the hood with engine hot I found a steaming film of coolant evaporating from the top area of the rad but the reservoir level and dash temp gauge were good so finished snow blowing and parked in shelter to cool to look further for the leak. it turned out all 4 rad hose clamps needed tightening.

No leak was visible so I grabbed the top rad hose and it easily twisted around on its mount so was no where near tight enough! Then closer inspection showed a green scum buildup around the thermostat housing below the hose clamp too.

I tightened all 4 coolant hose clamps a fair bit. No more coolant loss!

So as a hint for newer tractor owners:

Snug down those rad hose clamps! Mine were factory tightened but were no longer holding rad pressure at operating temps.

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My RTV has been doing this since new. I tightened all clamps and as soon as it cools after use it leaks.

I'm going to have to remove all the hoses and make sure everything is clean.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My RTV has been doing this since new. I tightened all clamps and as soon as it cools after use it leaks.

I'm going to have to remove all the hoses and make sure everything is clean.
Took out the snowblower into some heavy snowbanks and got it up to 4 bars on the temp gauge, shut it down and opened the hood, dry as a bone now.
I'll watch again in case I run into the same thing you did, that leaking after tightening and cooldown.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Took out the snowblower into some heavy snowbanks and got it up to 4 bars on the temp gauge, shut it down and opened the hood, dry as a bone now.
I'll watch again in case I run into the same thing you did, that leaking after tightening and cooldown.
Every new time I go to get my RTV out I see coolant on the skid pan. And they are worse than a tractor, I've never seen so many rad hoses and clamps in one machine as in a cabbed RTV! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user