B2650/ BH77 vs elm stump video

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
Here is a video of me being a bit too hard on my B2650 and BH77 leading to a stabilizer arm breaking along with the cylinder. The weld let go on the arm due to poor penetration. Kubota and the dealership replaced the parts without hassle and was back together in two days.

https://youtu.be/fYvPIbPBBVs

Thanks for watching,

Kyle

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I can sit around and watch someone working for quite a while. For anyone in a hurry the action in the video starts at 24:00.
Glad you got it fixed without any hassle.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Thanks for posting the video. Glad the repair was handled well. Have to confess I was anticipating the breakage from early on in the video. Every time the bucket curled the whole tractor moved back, with the stabilizers being the only thing offering resistance.

That's some heavy digging for the size of the tractor and backhoe. I think the tractor needs more anchoring to hold it in place as the BH does its work. If you had a toothbar on the FEL, you could plant it in the ground, for example. Another idea would be not lowering the stabilizers quite so much, so the rear tires carry some weight, and locking the brakes. What does operators manual say about deploying the stabilizers?

mport

Equipment
2013 B3200 backhoe
May 9, 2014
ST. Clairsville OH
Set your brakes and curl your loader bucket so the cutting edge is biting in [as when dumping]. The stabilizers are not enough to hold tractor still when doing heavy work.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Very informative. I have a similar setup. Thanks for posting. Good to see the limitations and the tips on how to prevent it from happening.

I must say I made an awful mess taking out a stump on my lawn. I did my first one a few weeks back. Next time I'm more inclined to just get a spade shovel and hand dig it, and cut it as low as I can with my chainsaw.

Does kubota make dynamite ? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGRV9TbEu4

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
Thanks for the tips.

Digging the cutting edge/tooth bar in does little to help in this case, as soon as you pull with the backhoe the tractors front lifts up. The brakes do little as well, tractor still gets pulled around easy. When I asked the service guys at the dealership if I was being too hard on it they told me as long I hadn't tampered with the relief pressure it shouldn't be able to break itself.

I leave the videos long and if people want to skip ahead they can, I find I watch some long ones, others I skim through, depends on my mood I suppose.

I am just waiting to hear back from the dealer about trading up to a L45 which seems like it's built to take more abuse.

Thanks,

Kyle

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I'll differ some with what that dealer told you... pulling on a stump so hard the FRONT of the tractor raises off the ground is incredibly hard on the backhoe and the tractor, regardless of whether the hydraulics go into relief or not. You could do that with an L45 too, but with enough of such use, something would eventually break on it also.

It's your machine so do as you wish, but this approach has always worked for me, over many years of grubbing with a BH: Take the time to fully excavate the soil holding the stump. Limit the amount of prying to the last few seconds of the dig, when the thing is just ready to break loose. Don't substitute brute force leverage for adequate excavation, including repositioning as needed.

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
I'll differ some with what that dealer told you... pulling on a stump so hard the FRONT of the tractor raises off the ground is incredibly hard on the backhoe and the tractor, regardless of whether the hydraulics go into relief or not. You could do that with an L45 too, but with enough of such use, something would eventually break on it also.

It's your machine so do as you wish, but this approach has always worked for me, over many years of grubbing with a BH: Take the time to fully excavate the soil holding the stump. Limit the amount of prying to the last few seconds of the dig, when the thing is just ready to break loose. Don't substitute brute force leverage for adequate excavation, including repositioning as needed.
Makes sense, thanks for the tip.

poyjas

Equipment
B7100HST & B2650 TLB-LandPride grapple & 60"BB
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
KyleH, that's an intriguing thumb you've got on there. Tell me about it? Thanks for the video, you've the exact setup I'm picking up next week (so they say).

KyleH

Equipment
L45 TLB
Mar 5, 2016
Ontario
KyleH, that's an intriguing thumb you've got on there. Tell me about it? Thanks for the video, you've the exact setup I'm picking up next week (so they say).
That's the Kubota factory mechanical thumb, very handy and used often to pick up stuff with. There's people that have rigged up hydraulic thumbs on this model, but the mechanical one works ok for most people.