B2620 and 6' land plane

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
Looking at a 6' foot land plane which is stated to be rated for 25 plus hp tractor. Anybody out there with experience with a setup like this on B2620 ?

Thanks

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm not sure if this helps, but I use a 6ft with my L2501 HST at around 4000ft or so elevation. I pull it uphill as well. I do have to let up on the treadle pedal if the compartments are full of gravel if I'm in M. Otherwise, it works fine.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Use a 6’ EA land plane on my hillside driveway. At places is all my turbo 59hp, 4x4, differential lock tractor can pull. Land plane manufacturers and conditions variable. My 26hp could probably pull it down or maybe up low grade. Your tractor closer to 5’ wide and 5’ LP would be a better choice. Travis at EA would be a good person to ask.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Use a 6’ EA land plane on my hillside driveway. At places is all my turbo 59hp, 4x4, differential lock tractor can pull. Land plane manufacturers and conditions variable. My 26hp could probably pull it down or maybe up low grade. Your tractor closer to 5’ wide and 5’ LP would be a better choice. Travis at EA would be a good person to ask.
Something must be wrong with your tractor or technique, or you have the ripper shanks all of the way down. In my use maintaining our 1 mile community road and my 1/4 mile driveway, I've only had to use the ripper shanks for potholes after Winter. I have a GS2572 on my L2501. I usually only use 1 or two shanks at a time since potholes aren't as wide as the grader/scraper.

Otherwise, if you got the advice from Travis at EA for normal usage, I think you might have got bad advice. From my use, 6' is way too small for a 59HP tractor. It could easily use a lot wider model which will save passes in most uses.

Here's a video of a B2601 with LandPride GS1572 being demo'd by their product manager.

Also, their documentation, also says a GS1572 is recommended for 25-50 HP models.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 10.27.27 AM.png

Last edited:

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
Thanks all for the input, I am gonna go with the 6 footer.

Reactions: 1 user

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Thanks all for the input, I am gonna go with the 6 footer.
I've used my cousin's B2620 with a 4 ft. box blade, which is a good match. You can't just use hp to decide this, tractor weight is also a big consideration. B2620's are pretty light for 6 ft. ground engaging implements in typical conditions from what I saw. Your mileage may vary of course...

marrmanu

Equipment
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I've used my cousin's B2620 with a 4 ft. box blade,
I have a wood GB60 5' box blade that I use to 1/2 to 3/4 capacity depending on if I am going up the driveway or just level. Dosen't seem like the Land plane will hold as much material.
Thanks for the input.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
EA just came out with a 66" for us in between tractors.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Something must be wrong with your tractor or technique, or you have the ripper shanks all of the way down. In my use maintaining our 1 mile community road and my 1/4 mile driveway, I've only had to use the ripper shanks for potholes after Winter. I have a GS2572 on my L2501. I usually only use 1 or two shanks at a time since potholes aren't as wide as the grader/scraper.

Otherwise, if you got the advice from Travis at EA for normal usage, I think you might have got bad advice. From my use, 6' is way too small for a 59HP tractor. It could easily use a lot wider model which will save passes in most uses.

Here's a video of a B2601 with LandPride GS1572 being demo'd by their product manager.

Also, their documentation, also says a GS1572 is recommended for 25-50 HP models.

View attachment 99410
Nothing is wrong with my tractor or technique.
Have miles of roads but the main driveway is 1/2 mile, 330’ elevation change, 300+ years old wagon trail, 60”+ rain per year thru old growth woods like a green tunnel. Been maintaining over 50 years. Have wore out grader blades, used box blades and about 7 years on the land plane. Land plane is simply the best tool to maintain and build a durable surface.
Just graded driveway from last fall. Frost heaves, get more rain than snow and 6 months of traffic and water gouging in tracks. Curvy drive is usually sloped to one side or the other. Few places center crowned for drainage. Can tilt the LP to pull gravel back into driveway from sides and drainage ditches much like a grade blade. Then less tilt uphill for final grade. Does carry some gravel like a box blade. The two blades do classify material and the real trick to maintaining a durable gravel road is managing fines. Grader and box blades have sat unused since buying the LP. Eliminates potholes. Driveway looks like 200tons was newly spread. 6’ is perfect size for my hillybilly roads. Yes it takes weight, traction and HP to move gravel uphill. Normal rain the driveway is durable but we can get 1-2” in 30 minutes that will wash most any road. May touch up driveway over the spring and summer months, then once before the leaves fall. Takes about 2-3 hours and 10-12 miles of travel. The time, fuel and gravel saved has paid for the LP while enjoying the results.

Reactions: 1 users

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Nothing is wrong with my tractor or technique.
Have miles of roads but the main driveway is 1/2 mile, 330’ elevation change, 300+ years old wagon trail, 60”+ rain per year thru old growth woods like a green tunnel. Been maintaining over 50 years. Have wore out grader blades, used box blades and about 7 years on the land plane. Land plane is simply the best tool to maintain and build a durable surface.
Just graded driveway from last fall. Frost heaves, get more rain than snow and 6 months of traffic and water gouging in tracks. Curvy drive is usually sloped to one side or the other. Few places center crowned for drainage. Can tilt the LP to pull gravel back into driveway from sides and drainage ditches much like a grade blade. Then less tilt uphill for final grade. Does carry some gravel like a box blade. The two blades do classify material and the real trick to maintaining a durable gravel road is managing fines. Grader and box blades have sat unused since buying the LP. Eliminates potholes. Driveway looks like 200tons was newly spread. 6’ is perfect size for my hillybilly roads. Yes it takes weight, traction and HP to move gravel uphill. Normal rain the driveway is durable but we can get 1-2” in 30 minutes that will wash most any road. May touch up driveway over the spring and summer months, then once before the leaves fall. Takes about 2-3 hours and 10-12 miles of travel. The time, fuel and gravel saved has paid for the LP while enjoying the results.
What are you pulling the 6 foot land plane with? I can easily bury my B2601 with a 4 foot box blade. Just over the mountain from you in NC.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
What are you pulling the 6 foot land plane with? I can easily bury my B2601 with a 4 foot box blade. Just over the mountain from you in NC.
M59 now, M5030DT (bigger than M59) earlier.

My point was it takes weight and HP to pull ground enhancement tools up hill. My B26 couldn’t come close handling the steep stuff with 6’ LP. Not everyone has those conditions. Just miles away is valley land with flatter ground. Mine is not. Need to match the task with the right tractor and right Implement. That’s why there are so many to choose from. Sharing my experience.