B2601 selection lever not moving

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
The lever that selects, mid-mount mower, or PTO, or both……
I am not able to move it. This tractor has only 31 hours on it. I suspect it’s operator-error, I’ve tried everything . Any ideas?

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have had the same issue with mine as well from the get go. There are other posts here which explain in better detail than I can on how to rectify the situation. Mine was usually stuck in the mid position (left there cause of my mid mount mower) so I would try to move the rear pto by hand while simultaneously trying to move the lever selector (this did help to move the selector). After having to do this a few times mine has started to loosen up an move more freely. I have gotten into the habit of moving the selector to the rear only position while not using the pto (since I usually use the mid for mowing).

Reactions: 1 users

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi, I'm having the same problem with my new B2601HSD-1 ... what was the remedy?

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Got mine to work today ... needed to run the PTO in its current position (mid) for a while ... couple minutes or so ... then ... was able to move it to the rear pto position ... hth.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I don't have any background on this case specifically but i know a lot about 'manual drivetrain' in general. This sounds like one of those problems that stems from lack of use. As in, if that shifter doesn't get moved for a long time, it becomes hard to move. 4wd transfer case shifters in trucks frequently deal with that because of lack of use. Most of these types of 'power transmissions' with manual shift levers, are splash lubed. Sometimes that area gets NO splash lube if it isn't engaged and spinning, and sometimes it's just that the surface between two part of the shift mechanism spends so much time 'covered up' from the splash lube while shifted in that position, that it 'dries out' and starts to rust just from the moisture in the air. Shifting the thing back and forth and operating a little while in each position gets all those surfaces coated in oil again. As long as oil gets splashed onto them every once in a while, they will basically never rust. This is part of why the concept of 'ran when parked' is such a joke, because you can pull off the cover of a low-hours transmission that's been sitting still for years and years and everything above the fluid level is rusted. Same thing with gas tanks. If it was parked empty the exposed tank will rust out. If it was parked while full, the gas itself may be beyond bad, but the tanks walls didn't rust.

Getting it unstuck is one thing, but once it's unstuck the simplest long term solution is to move it every once in a while even if you don't have to.

Hopefully the repair bill is reasonable!

Semi-related: I have done some real funny looking stuff trying to unstick clutch discs from flywheels on cars that have sat for years and years.. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dkbswim

Equipment
B2601
Feb 6, 2021
columbus ga
Inside the gearbox, The rear PTO spline are not aligned so they will not mesh up. next time try bumping the PTO clutch on and off with the tractor running. once the Mid PTO stops try changing the PTO selection lever. the same thing can happen with the transmission range selector if it happens go forward or backwards and try to shift.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Had the same issue. The reason was the selector lever where it connects into the gear box was seized. Sprayed lubricant on all the pivot points and within 5 minutes of slowly moving the lever it was all smooth again. I now make it a point of spraying all linkages every time I grease the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Had the same issue. The reason was the selector lever where it connects into the gear box was seized. Sprayed lubricant on all the pivot points and within 5 minutes of slowly moving the lever it was all smooth again. I now make it a point of spraying all linkages every time I grease the tractor.
This ^^^

I had a similar issue with my BX. Sprayed PB Blaster on the linkage and especially the shaft where it goes into the housing, and after a few applications over a couple days, the issue resolved...

I got the idea to do this here at OTT. (y)

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
The end result, lever is fine, PTO gears are square and not rounded off on this 2022 model. Turn PTO off and on, pull lever toward the seat and it should slide into place. If not, keep jogging the PTO off and on.