B2601 rattling issue

macten

Equipment
B2601 HST
Jun 9, 2022
MI
I have a new B2601 HST with less than 10 hours on it an have noticed a rattling noise when driving. It’s more pronounced when going in reverse and when under load. I have confirmed as much as I can that it isn’t a loose body panel and the dealership didn’t seem to have any troubleshooting advice. Also, I’ve checked hydraulic fluid levels and they’re fine. Any advice on what else to check?

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have a new B2601 HST with less than 10 hours on it an have noticed a rattling noise when driving. It’s more pronounced when going in reverse and when under load. I have confirmed as much as I can that it isn’t a loose body panel and the dealership didn’t seem to have any troubleshooting advice. Also, I’ve checked hydraulic fluid levels and they’re fine. Any advice on what else to check?
It's probably the ROPS mine makes a lot of noise too

macten

Equipment
B2601 HST
Jun 9, 2022
MI
Maybe it is the sound of your new Diesel engine that you are unfamiliar with.
While I’m new to this tractor, I’ve had experience with other Diesel engines and it doesn’t sound normal. My hunch is that it has something to do with the HST, but that’s just a guess.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
While I’m new to this tractor, I’ve had experience with other Diesel engines and it doesn’t sound normal. My hunch is that it has something to do with the HST, but that’s just a guess.
My B2650HST makes a loud clicking sound when parked and idling. When the PTO is engaged the noise diminishes, and goes away as the RPMs are increased. I took it to the dealer who checked it out and said all was well. The gears are straight cut, and need more "wiggle room" to engage than do helical gears. The "wiggle room" makes noise. Perhaps you are hearing "gear lash"?

Last edited:

macten

Equipment
B2601 HST
Jun 9, 2022
MI
Interesting, seems like that would be more in line with the type of noise I'm hearing. I haven't engaged the PTO so I can't say if the noise changes, but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I see just two possibilities here:

1. This is a serious problem with a major component.
  2. This is s minor issue with some loose external part.

Just in case it's #1, I suggest you start keeping a little black book. Every time you hear it, every thing you to to try to find it, every small problem you find, every communication with the dealer. And yes, you must communicate with the dealer. Repeatedly. Date and time for all of the above.

That way, if this goes bad, you have some backup for any warranty claim. I have seen it time and time again - a written log beats "he said, she said" every single time. Details are to logs as cubic inches are to horsepower. More is better.

If it rattles when you are not moving, a mechanic's stethoscope will help a LOT. It's amazing what you can hear with those.

Kind of hard to use it while driving. though. Hmmm. Maybe with an extension tube? For example, rig an esteniton down to the HST so you can listen while driving?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
That’s a possibility although it seems to me that the noise is coming from lower on the tractor, but I’ll check that out.
The ROPS is connected to the frame lower down so any ROPS rattle may sound like it's coming from lower down.