B2601 - Mowing & Weight

MDG1982

Equipment
2022 B2601
Apr 9, 2022
NB, Canada
Hello all,

I'm debating between a belly mower deck for my B2601 or purchasing a separate ride on mower. My tires are loaded (approx. 600 lbs. extra, total) and I'm wondering if the tractor maybe too heavy for lawn mowing. Can anyone advise from experience? Would taking off the FEL every time to mow help, but also become a pain? Thanks!

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Don't know the answer to all your questions because there's too many variables-----is your ground hard packed mostly clay or soft, loamy, damp soil? FWIW, I never mow with the loader on. It's too much of a PITA maneuvering around trees, bushes, buildings, etc. with the loader on.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Most things about a mid mount mower are a pain…I waited years to finally get a dedicated mower (now I’m 72)
I bought a Kubota zero turn so now my tractor stays a tractor and mowing is fun again! If you’re thinking about this before you even do it, you know what to do! GET THE DEDICATED MOWER!😂

Reactions: 5 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I'm on the zt band wagon as well... but yeah take the bucket off the fel at least. I haven't ever had many issues with compaction with loaded tires on any of my tractors I mowed with. I range from snotty clay to pretty nice soil.

Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I was kinda in the same position except I ordered my 2601 with a backhoe. Before it was delivered I realized taking the front and back off and installing the mid mower all the time would be a pain pretty quick. Bought a zero turn as well. I have a neighbor with a similar tractor and mid mower still brand new put away in storage for quite a few years…

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had a RFM for my B2910 for a year...decided that a second tractor with MMM would work better for me, so I bought a BX2200 18 years ago, and never regretted it.

Taking the loader off and putting the MMM on everytime you wanted to cut grass would be a major PITA if it were me. If you can leave the MMM on most of the time, maybe less of an issue. In my case, removing my loader was not a big deal. And did not take much time to take off, or put on.

A ZTR is nice, but it is pretty much dedicated to mowing only. I prefer the BX solution, as I can use the BX to do some things even leaving the MMM on. Such as pulling a trailer, or using a landscape rake, or back blade. My BX does not have a loader, since the larger tractor does.

My son in law has a BX23S and cuts grass with a hand me down lawn tractor, and seems happy with it. So, in the end, just about anything you decide on will probably work fine for you.

MDG1982

Equipment
2022 B2601
Apr 9, 2022
NB, Canada
are your R4 tires filled with lead or mercury? Because on a B2601 liquid ballast is only 300 pounds total
I may have been misinformed by my sales rep. I'm certain he said 600 lbs. total in loaded tire weight. I'll have to inquire again.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Hello all,

I'm debating between a belly mower deck for my B2601 or purchasing a separate ride on mower. My tires are loaded (approx. 600 lbs. extra, total) and I'm wondering if the tractor maybe too heavy for lawn mowing. Can anyone advise from experience? Would taking off the FEL every time to mow help, but also become a pain? Thanks!
I’d recommend a ZT or riding mower when compared to using your B2601 w/MMM.

Pro’s to using your B2601 to mow;
-Have only one machine to maintain
-Diesel engine and low fuel consumption
-4WD

Con’s to using your B2601 to mow;
-The MMM attachment isn’t cheap
-Removing the MMM for tractor work
-Removing the loader for mowing sessions
-Mowing time

I mowed my hilly property with my B2601 for over a year. It did a pretty good job and I really didn’t have any issues removing the loader (which I strongly recommend) for mowing sessions. My main complaints were regarding removing the MMM for ground engagement tasks and without a large, flat concrete floor, it was always a struggle.

I eventually optioned for a dedicated ZTR and I’m really happy with the dedicated mower. I can’t believe the time savings (1+ hour per session) and the cut quality is improved and no scalping issues. The only drawback to my particular ZTR is fuel consumption…it drinks gasoline. Obviously cost and maintenance needs to be considered too.

My 2 cents.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
(edited because I was not replying to anyone specifically)

I had to laugh, ONLY because for some reason I remembered how people think different ways on having a tractor backhoe.

Those with tractor backhoes love them; Those who do not have them cannot understand how great they are IF you have one.

Since I never had a ZTR, but DO have a second tractor with MMM, I must fall into one camp, rather than the other!

I personally think if I had a ZTR I would feel the same about it as I do my backhoe (love having it), but maybe sometimes I would wish I had a second tractor too...

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Test drive your B2601 around the lawn under various conditions to see how bad the ruts are. I know that mine would not be suitable for mowing, I can't even traverse the lawn to do work beyond unless the soil is dry.

MDG1982

Equipment
2022 B2601
Apr 9, 2022
NB, Canada
Test drive your B2601 around the lawn under various conditions to see how bad the ruts are. I know that mine would not be suitable for mowing, I can't even traverse the lawn to do work beyond unless the soil is dry.

Good suggestion, thanks

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
New member here, new B2601....no mowers.....I was going to suggest to the OP to consider / look at the rear 3-pt finish mowers available, another mowing option (PTO driven, possibly quick hitch compatible).

After reading the thread I'd agree that a dedicated mower would be the best, ZT or another option, as long it's 'storable' without hassle. Unless I was mowing a large area I would likely not use the B2601. But, if using it was a necessity, a 3 pt quick-hitch-capable unit sounds like a convenient, doable choice, terrain allowing! :)

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have a MMM on my B2601 with a backhoe. Come mow time I would take off both the FEL and the BH. Became a time consuming pain in the...The MMM does a fine job and is easy on and off (I have a nice flat driveway). My dealer was like what are you doing removing both every time you mow just leave em on and take the bucket off the FEL. So thats what I've been doing and havent had any issues. My yard is also relatively flat and not that soft. If it was my other property it wouldve been rut city.
Having said that if I didnt give my mother my cub cadet that puppy would be doing all my mowing. Hindsight is I should've kept that cub, bought a trailer, said no to the MMM and then just cut her yard with the cub as well.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
If you can afford both, get a ztr and enjoy the extra time on your hands. They say money can't buy time but I say that's BS. I save over an hour and a half on each mowing and I was able to buy it by getting a dedicated mower. That doesn't even account for the time it takes to mount/dismount the mmm and loader each time. For me, money well spent and the ability to just go mow without having to crawl under to hook up the mid pto shaft ... priceless ;)

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
(edited because I was not replying to anyone specifically)

I had to laugh, ONLY because for some reason I remembered how people think different ways on having a tractor backhoe.

Those with tractor backhoes love them; Those who do not have them cannot understand how great they are IF you have one.

Since I never had a ZTR, but DO have a second tractor with MMM, I must fall into one camp, rather than the other!

I personally think if I had a ZTR I would feel the same about it as I do my backhoe (love having it), but maybe sometimes I would wish I had a second tractor too...
All last summer I had my cousins ABI backhoe. What a machine. Wish i/he still had it. Was dead handy around my property. I would have rather had it instead of B, but there was no 3 point or pto. It was just a dedicated tlb. That hoe end was just dead handy. I can get his 310 deere anytime I want it, or my other uncles 580 case but they are just too big for jobs around my place 70% of the time.

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Hello all,

@MDG1982 Messicks did a wicked video about how much weight a FEL actually applies to the front tires on a BX (take it as a comparable regardless) and that provided you don't have a sandy subgrade or loam, your B series would be fine mowing provided you remove the FEL. A lot of people do it plus unless you have 5+ acres to mow and wanna do it with a speedy ZTM, then why try and fit a second machine in the garage, maintain a second machine, etc.