B2601 "clicking" going up hills

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi All,

I hope I can describe this so that it makes sense...

I have a B2601 with about 250 hours on it. The engine runs smooth at all RPM's and I don't notice any problems with it. The only concerning thing I have going on is that when I'm climbing a hill -- steepness doesn't seem to matter -- I hear a "clicking" type of sound. As best as I can tell, it seems to be coming from the front of the tractor. I know "clicking" is a weird description, but it's not like a grinding sound and doesn't sounds like gears improperly engaged. It's just an odd "clicking".

The behavior doesn't change if it's in 2x2 or 4x4 mode, nor does it seem to change with L, M, or H range on the gearbox. RPM's also don't seem to matter. It's a little more noticeable at lower RPM's, but I think that's just because the engine isn't as loud and I can hear it better. The clicking frequency - ie. number of clicks(?) - does seem to increase and decrease with speed depending on how I'm pressing the pedal.

My initial thought was that it was something with the 4x4 / front drive line, but it does it in 2-wheel drive as well. It does not make the sound if the tractor is sitting still, even at full RPM's with the rear PTO running.

It's an odd sound. I can't remember when it started, but it's been there for at least a couple of years. I'm just now wondering more about it since I'm almost running out of the Kubota insurance plan that comes when you finance a tractor. It will be paid off in a few months and I'm wondering if it's one of those "normal" sounds a kubota hydrostatic drive makes, or if I should have it looked at.

There was one incident a few months after I first got the tractor... I had a 150 lbs load hanging from an elevated bucket without any rear ballast (other than filled tires). All was fine until I headed down the driveway and the tractor rear started to bounce... and with each bounce speed, and the pucker-factor, increased. All in one magical move, I dropped the bucket and threw it into 4x4 to get some braking from the front wheels. As rough as that was, I didn't notice anything adverse from the tractor. No odd sounds, grinding or anything else. The "clicking" presented itself a while after that, so I didn't really tie the two together. I have no trouble putting the tractor in/out of 4x4 mode and I get power to all 4 wheels. Moving the lever in/out of 4x4 is smooth and uneventful.

Any ideas what the sound might be, or where/how to better locate it? Are there things I can test without dissecting it? Or, is this just one of those hydrostatic sounds that kubota makes?

Apologies if my description sounds like a crazy person. I promise, I'm mostly sane!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s hard for someone to say not hearing what you hear, but is there any chance it could be some slip in the bucket(wiggle) or the loader or maybe the loader stand? Everything all secure? Those would be my first checks.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
There was one incident a few months after I first got the tractor... I had a 150 lbs load hanging from an elevated bucket without any rear ballast (other than filled tires). All was fine until I headed down the driveway and the tractor rear started to bounce... and with each bounce speed, and the pucker-factor, increased. All in one magical move, I dropped the bucket and threw it into 4x4 to get some braking from the front wheels. As rough as that was, I didn't notice anything adverse from the tractor.
I would check the transmission oil and filters for metal, perhaps you broke a gear tooth and there is still enough left of it to keep going.

nicksab

Equipment
'23 B2601, Backhoe - BH70, 60" Mid-mount mower, LandPride RCR 1248 rotary cutter
Jul 3, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

I have a B2601 with about 250 hours on it. The engine runs smooth at all RPM's and I don't notice any problems with it. The only concerning thing I have going on is that when I'm climbing a hill -- steepness doesn't seem to matter -- I hear a "clicking" type of sound. As best as I can tell, it seems to be coming from the front of the tractor. I know "clicking" is a weird description, but it's not like a grinding sound and doesn't sounds like gears improperly engaged. It's just an odd "clicking".
Hi @msmcknight - Did you ever solve this? I have a new B2601 - just over 10 hours as of yesterday - and I suspect I have the same question as you. I noticed a "clicking" from day 1 from the area of the front wheels. Like you, I notice it more when going uphill.

My best guess is that it's somehow related to the front part of the 4WD transmission.

It doesn't sound "bad" exactly. It's a very regular sound - not like a grinding noise or like a part is loose, as some have suggested. But it's loud enough that I'd at least like to understand what is causing it. I also don't notice any obvious issues when using the tractor.

I'm going to check lubrication today, and may try to get a recording to share.

Nick

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi @msmcknight - Did you ever solve this? I have a new B2601 - just over 10 hours as of yesterday - and I suspect I have the same question as you. I noticed a "clicking" from day 1 from the area of the front wheels. Like you, I notice it more when going uphill.

My best guess is that it's somehow related to the front part of the 4WD transmission.

It doesn't sound "bad" exactly. It's a very regular sound - not like a grinding noise or like a part is loose, as some have suggested. But it's loud enough that I'd at least like to understand what is causing it. I also don't notice any obvious issues when using the tractor.

I'm going to check lubrication today, and may try to get a recording to share.

Nick
I never did solve it. Of course the dealer says they cant hear it, but to me it's very obvious. Like you, I suspect something in the front wheel drive area. I've checked fluid and filters and didnt find anything. I don't notice any operational impact, just seems "rattly" and annoys me.

nicksab

Equipment
'23 B2601, Backhoe - BH70, 60" Mid-mount mower, LandPride RCR 1248 rotary cutter
Jul 3, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I never did solve it. Of course the dealer says they cant hear it, but to me it's very obvious. Like you, I suspect something in the front wheel drive area. I've checked fluid and filters and didnt find anything. I don't notice any operational impact, just seems "rattly" and annoys me.
Thanks for the followup, tho wish we could figure out what it is. I was out tractoring today, and it was top of mind. It happens consistently, but only sometimes - uphill, and also I realized today when I'm pushing or pulling. I did some leveling with the loader today - really just learning how to do it - and it happens in forward AND reverse, and not just on slopes. Straight or turns seems to have no effect.

Here's a video where I tried to capture it - it's only happening when I'm doing the floating in reverse, not when I go forward again. I do realize "rattle" is a way to describe it, and def from the lower front area.

In the clip it may look like the SwiftTach stand lever is the source as it is shaking a lot...but that is not it. NOTE: Turn your volume DOWN! :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQrniC6SJQhquAKKA

I'll try to do a more controlled version, at a lower RPM, as I think the high RPM here and the overall activity mutes the rattling sound.

Nick

Last edited:

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
Hi All,

The behavior doesn't change if it's in 2x2 or 4x4 mode, nor does it seem to change with L, M, or H range on the gearbox. RPM's also don't seem to matter. It's a little more noticeable at lower RPM's, but I think that's just because the engine isn't as loud and I can hear it better. The clicking frequency - ie. number of clicks(?) - does seem to increase and decrease with speed depending on how I'm pressing the pedal.

My initial thought was that it was something with the 4x4 / front drive line, but it does it in 2-wheel drive as well. It does not make the sound if the tractor is sitting still, even at full RPM's with the rear PTO running.

It's an odd sound. I can't remember when it started, but it's been there for at least a couple of years. I'm just now wondering more about it since I'm almost running out of the Kubota insurance plan that comes when you finance a tractor. It will be paid off in a few months and I'm wondering if it's one of those "normal" sounds a kubota hydrostatic drive makes, or if I should have it looked at.

There was one incident a few months after I first got the tractor... I had a 150 lbs load hanging from an elevated bucket without any rear ballast (other than filled tires). All was fine until I headed down the driveway and the tractor rear started to bounce... and with each bounce speed, and the pucker-factor, increased. All in one magical move, I dropped the bucket and threw it into 4x4 to get some braking from the front wheels. As rough as that was, I didn't notice anything adverse from the tractor. No odd sounds, grinding or anything else. The "clicking" presented itself a while after that, so I didn't really tie the two together. I have no trouble putting the tractor in/out of 4x4 mode and I get power to all 4 wheels. Moving the lever in/out of 4x4 is smooth and uneventful.

Any ideas what the sound might be, or where/how to better locate it? Are there things I can test without dissecting it? Or, is this just one of those hydrostatic sounds that kubota makes?

Apologies if my description sounds like a crazy person. I promise, I'm mostly sane!

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Check your ROPS-Mine rattle I hope that your problem is that simple.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
The front rims are weak. When the lugs are loose and you turn or climb a hill the load changes trying to move the wheel on the studs. Since the rim is a 2 piece stamped wheel the clicking is the metal clicking as it flexes. I now check my wheels weekly. Not more ticky clicky.

Reactions: 1 user

nicksab

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Back for an update.

I have 2 new recordings - one at low RPM, in L speed, going up hill. The other is on a very slight incline at higher RPM, and in H speed. The sound I'm referrering to is very obvious in the high speed one.

Again, it may be that's just how it sounds, but I'd like to know what is generating the noise. It just doesn't sound right to me, as it sounds like something generating friction.

(And before someone mentions it, yes - I know I forgot the caps on my SwiftTach hydraulics!)

@msmcknight - Take a listen. Is this it?

Thanks @Grumpyjoe for the lugs suggestion: I had already torqued the front lugs as I read someplace else that's something to keep an eye on, esp when new. Also, it just doesn't have that kind of sound.

It's also def not the ROPS @robert2601. Side note: I added a RhinoHide canopy, and that's actually helped reduce the ROPs rattles.

Another troubleshoot step I took was to use zip ties to anchor the hood latch and the handle for the mid-mount mower - to be sure they weren't generating the sounds I'm hearing. It made 0 difference in the sound.

I'm at just over 14 hours now. Everything seems to work fine best I can tell. All fluids seem fine - front trans, hydraulic, oil.

I'm still stumped.
I did send the video clips and description to my dealer, but haven't heard back yet.

UPDATE:
Another video - here's what the front wheels sound like if I just spin them by hand (a loader is a handy thing!). Does this sound right? If yes, I could see at speed they'd make some racket.

Last edited: