B2601 3rd Function Install

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
thats weird, my 2601 3rd function is labeled B1653. If the install is similar, it should be all plug and play into existing wire harnesses, its pretty slick.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
thats weird, my 2601 3rd function is labeled B1653. If the install is similar, it should be all plug and play into existing wire harnesses, its pretty slick.
Interesting that the parts are different. But yes, this kit is plug and play. Everything is the exact length it needs to be, all connectors and fittings work with the tractor plug and play.

It’s nice.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Well, got everything on, tried to take a few pictures as well.

First, had a question for @Frankb

How did they route your line from the 3rd function back to the backhoe?

This is the way the kubota kit says to do it, on the outside of the backhoe subframe. The issue is when you put the tire on it’s way too close in my opinion.

Few pictures:
C3DDDFF8-B7B5-43A8-9585-BD728A7620DF.jpeg

B611B86E-94E2-4280-9F08-1E657E9816A1.jpeg

648B65B6-5D05-4A94-B94B-0A4D0171AEBE.jpeg

917DC80A-1FDD-4334-82D0-58321F618B56.jpeg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Well, got everything on, tried to take a few pictures as well.

First, had a question for @Frankb

How did they route your line from the 3rd function back to the backhoe?

This is the way the kubota kit says to do it, on the outside of the backhoe subframe. The issue is when you put the tire on it’s way too close in my opinion.

Few pictures:
This doesnt look right ^
this is how my dealer installed kit was configured, same bracket where show, but the lines run inside the fender

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
This doesnt look right ^
this is how my dealer installed kit was configured, same bracket where show, but the lines run inside the fender

I think the difference is the backhoe subframe. If you see in my photo, the backhoe subframe drops down as low as the filter. I also have the line with the red cap which I need to access when I mount or dismount the backhoe.

I’m going to pull the tire and see if I can run those lines in any other fashion.

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Got a look at my set up and the line from the front block goes behind the frame and to the rear and attaches to the pump. Another line comes out of pump and continues behind fender to the rear for BH. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Mahble

Sep 15, 2021
NH
I am in the process of purchasing a new B2601 with backhoe and a B1672 third function for a grapple and possibly a snowblower. I have read that with a true third function the grapple speed cannot be modulated causing things to be easily crushed, whereas the diverter valves allow for hydraulic flow control. Is there a flow limiter or anything in this kit that allows the user to limit the grapple speed?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am in the process of purchasing a new B2601 with backhoe and a B1672 third function for a grapple and possibly a snowblower. I have read that with a true third function the grapple speed cannot be modulated causing things to be easily crushed, whereas the diverter valves allow for hydraulic flow control. Is there a flow limiter or anything in this kit that allows the user to limit the grapple speed?
What's your definition of "true third function"? That typically means the ability to operate the bucket curl/dump function and grapple jaws at the same time. That requires an independent valve plumbed inti the power beyond on the loader valve. It also requires a loader valve that does not block the downstrean valve when the bucket is active. The loader valves on the L01s blick so that is not possible

The third function kits Kubota is selling are solenoid actuated valves. They are all or none operation so you cant feather the spool regardkess of what the loader valve is doing. If you use a manually controlled valve in place of the electro-mechanical valve you can feather the spool but you have a second lever to deal with which is less convenient. An electro-mechanical diverter valve lets you switch the joystick bucket control between the grapple and the bucket giving you the same control over the grapple as you have over the bucket.

If you use a diverter valve on the loader you can feather the grapple but you cannot operate bucket and jaws at same time. As I mentuoned above you lose nothing on an L01 because thats impossible anyway.

Dan

Mahble

Sep 15, 2021
NH
What's your definition of "true third function"? That typically means the ability to operate the bucket curl/dump function and grapple jaws at the same time. That requires an independent valve plumbed inti the power beyond on the loader valve. It also requires a loader valve that does not block the downstrean valve when the bucket is active. The loader valves on the L01s blick so that is not possible

The third function kits Kubota is selling are solenoid actuated valves. They are all or none operation so you cant feather the spool regardkess of what the loader valve is doing. If you use a manually controlled valve in place of the electro-mechanical valve you can feather the spool but you have a second lever to deal with which is less convenient. An electro-mechanical diverter valve lets you switch the joystick bucket control between the grapple and the bucket giving you the same control over the grapple as you have over the bucket.

If you use a diverter valve on the loader you can feather the grapple but you cannot operate bucket and jaws at same time. As I mentuoned above you lose nothing on an L01 because thats impossible anyway.

Dan
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the factory third function was a whole new hydraulic circuit that allowed bucket curl and loader lift while also moving the grapple. It seems that the aftermarket diverter valves such as the artillian diverter is actually a better option so that you can modulate the grapple, just not while also curling. Seems the only downside is the install might not be as tucked away as the factory option.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the factory third function was a whole new hydraulic circuit that allowed bucket curl and loader lift while also moving the grapple. It seems that the aftermarket diverter valves such as the artillian diverter is actually a better option so that you can modulate the grapple, just not while also curling. Seems the only downside is the install might not be as tucked away as the factory option.
Depends on the operation of your loader valve. I know the valve on the LA 525 blocks. But you need to test your loader valve to see how it operates:

1. Lower the 3pt and raise the loader to hood height.

2. Now with engine running at about 1500 RPM start curling the bucket. At the same time try to raise the 3pt.

If the bucket curls AND the 3pt lifts at the same time the valve does not block. If the bucket curls but the 3pt does not raise until you let up on the bucket curl the valve blocks. Test it again using the loader lift instead of curl. Some valves block in both functions.

Dan

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I'm not disputing what @TheOldHokie mentioned above, both my B2601 and LX behaved the way he described in his test.. But it's not necessarily all or nothing. On both machines if you dont use "all" of the loader the valve you can modulate it do both functions at once. So you are holding the third function button of choice, and dumping/curling, it will do both functions but in a slow controlled action. If you get more into the valve direction it will block, at least that's my experience.

Last edited:

Mahble

Sep 15, 2021
NH
I'm not disputing what @TheOldHokie mentioned above, both my B2601 and LX behaved the way he described in his test.. But it's not necessarily all or nothing. On both machines if you dont use "all" the valve you can modulate it do both functions at once. So you are holding the third function button of choice, and dumping/curling, it will do both functions but in a slow controlled action. At least thats my experience.
OK, great! I decided to go with the factory kit because of the cleaner installation and dealer support if there was an issue. Have you had any problem with the third fuction speed being too fast? From the videos I have seen it looks like it is slow enough to be controllable.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
It's very controllable while using the grapple, if it feels too jumpy you can just throttle back a little bit

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm not disputing what @TheOldHokie mentioned above, both my B2601 and LX behaved the way he described in his test.. But it's not necessarily all or nothing. On both machines if you dont use "all" the valve you can modulate it do both functions at once. So you are holding the third function button of choice, and dumping/curling, it will do both functions but in a slow controlled action. At least thats my experience.
You bring up an interesting point but lets make sure we are on the same page.

The third function solenoid valve is all or none. When you hit that button the spool shifts to the full open position, You cannot modulate that shift and a grapple cylinder is going to run at the speed of the incoming flow.

The behavior of a joystick loader valve is different. They are not all or nothing. You can control the degree to which you shift those spools but the characteristics of the valve design will determine the degree to which you can control the flow going to the PB port. That is why I advised testing the valve you have on your machine before deciding on the type of third function valve you want.

Because you got me thinking I did a little more testing on what I have here.

The L1620 loader valve on my B7200 appears to be a general purpose commodity valve with an optional power beyond sleeve installed. It blocks the PB flow completely as soon as either spool is shifted. I have found that to be typical of general purpose commodity valves with power beyond conversion. If I were to add a third function to that loader it would be impossible to use any loader function and the third function at the same time.

The valve on the LA525 is a specialized loader design with what appears to be integrated power beyond (no visible conversion sleeve) and it behaves differently. When shifted the lift spool always passes what appears to be full flow to the PB port. The bucket spool has a regen circuit and it behaves very differently. You can find a spot on that spool where a small flow is passed to the power beyond circuit but its not easy to hit that spot and the 3pt seems to stall easily. The 3pt is so fast and equipped with position control so its difficult to evaluate the degree of control you can obtain by feathering the bucket spool. It does however seem the bucket cylinder is getting the lions share of the flow and it moves much more predictably than the 3pt. My third function valve is a manual commodity valve so I can't really use it to test the behavior with the grapple.

Dan