B26 Rear Axle Removal

oo7spy

Equipment
B26
Jun 13, 2021
Austin, TX
I've done searches on Google and across this board, and the results for anything on the B26, and especially the rear axle, are really lacking compared to some of the other models. If there is already a thread on this that I've missed, I wouldn't mind at being given a link as an answer! :)

I have a B26 HST 4x4 with serial number 50893. (I can't seem to find any more info about the model, but I'm willing to look further.) The right rear axle dumped all of the HST fluid, and I'm suspecting it's the axle seal. However, i can't find any information on removing this particular axle.

The parts diagram does not show an exterior spring clip that would allow the axle to slide out without removing the casing, but holy hell there is a bunch of stuff in front of the casing! Even ignoring the backhoe attachment, it appears the frame of the tractor runs between the casing and the hub with very little clearance around the axle. Maybe I'm mistaken about what this slab of metal is, but it's connected all the way at the front of the tractor where the front loader and roof support are attached.

I'll readily admit I'm in way over my head, and if for some reason this model was designed to be maintained by the dealer only, so be it. But I figured I would throw out this Hail Mary first in hopes that someone has a solution to getting this seal replaced while it's sitting in my yard. Getting it loaded up and to a dealer is going to be a bit of work, so maybe I'll get lucky? 🤞

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Spy - - I strongly recommend a Workshop Manual (WSM).

There are free manuals at www.kubotabooks.com and Kubota User Manuals Download | ManualsLib . Unfortunately, I don't see a B26 WSM. Feel free to double-check.

As you know, the B TLB's are pretty special, and built much heavier than the small tractors.

We have several Kubota Techs here. Maybe one of them can help out. You still want a WSM.

Welcome to OTT!

Reactions: 1 user

oo7spy

Equipment
B26
Jun 13, 2021
Austin, TX
Thanks, RCW. I haven't found the shop manual for the B26 for free yet, but I'll keep looking. I know i can buy it for $33 which I guess is a worthwhile investment for future fixes even if I can't do this rear axle fix myself.

Looking at the parts manual, I can see that it is indeed the main frame that is cut out around the bottom of the axle, but that diagram seems to indicate the axle and casing may be able to lift out from the top if I can get everything out of the way of it. However, I can't find the brace/plate that runs across the top of the axle in the parts manual. Does anyone know how to identify it from the "Fig. J460" label they put on there? The picture below is the main frame on the left and the axle case on the right.

B26_Rear_Axel_Case.jpg

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It's really not all that bad, you remove the Backhoe, Loader, ROPS, and the bracket for them. The bracket is only the length of the tractor. You will have to raise the tractor quite a ways to get the several hundred pounds of bracket out of the way, or just lay it on the floor under the tractor.
Now, drain the hydraulic oil and remove the axle housing from the tractor, disassemble the housing to remove the axle. At this point, it only takes a few minutes to R & R the seal and bearing.
Just reverse the prior steps and you will be good as new!! :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user

oo7spy

Equipment
B26
Jun 13, 2021
Austin, TX
I love how confident y'all are in my knowledge and abilities!

This isn't actually my machine. It's owned by our family business which usually pays for dealer repairs on stuff like this. It just happened to recently become my responsibility and breakdown in my yard. I was hoping jacking it up and fixing it on the spot was worth pursuing since loading it with no hydros and hauling it 50 miles isn't an effortless task. I am going to have to remove the backhoe and forks to load it up anyway, so I'll judge how that goes to determine if I want to finish the repair or punt on it and take it to the dealer.

Thanks for the reply, whitetiger. Answers like that aren't easy to come by!

Glowplug

Mar 11, 2020
Pennsylvania
I have a B26 and have the same issue. Both my rear axle seals need to be changed. I have the WSM and I've done enough research to know that what whitetiger said is accurate. The backhoe, canopy, and forward canopy supports need to be removed as well as the loader. Then then the main support is removed from the rear axle and rotated down. The axle stubs are bolted to the differential, but they need to move outward to be removed, so you can't remove them by lifting from the top.

It is definitely a fair amount of work and likely something that I will be attempting in the next couple months. All that said, I was really hoping someone here would have done this job before so I could be more confident in my ability to do it. But I guess I'll just go one step at a time.