B26/2650 Front Axle Pivot seals not same as originals

mmurray70

Mar 8, 2020
Newfoundland,Canada
Hi I have B26 (2650 is same) with leaky pivot seals. I ordered new seals from my dealer. p/n 32721-56223 based on my serial number, but the new seals are different.

The old ones are in 2 pcs, a replacable sleeve with flange that slides on the axle, and the seal itself that fits into hub. Seems like a great setup. The new ones do not come apart. Seems to be a 2 pc assembly, I can move the inside ring slightly but cant get them apart or turn them with my hands. The new ones appear to have a wiper that seals against a face (same as old ones) but there is no new steel part for this to touch against? It will just be up the bare rusty dirty old casting of machine. Seems like Garbage.

What is up with this? Are the old style seals still available or are they all superceeded to the new ones? Are these new ones any good at all? Really nervous about the lack of wiper touching anything. And it forms a big bowl to collect muddy water.

Attachments

DaveD

Equipment
B1700 HST 1996, LP grading scraper & box scraper, Bush Hog SQ60 & aerator
Jun 30, 2021
Central Virginia
If you turn the new seal over you will see the flanged part like on the old one--the flange in your photo on the left at top. A few years back I replaced one of the seals on my B1700 and it is the same PN as the one you have. I was able to push the inner flange out with some serious thumb pressure, not because I needed to but because of curiosity. The wiper lip is very tight against this flange.

BTW, the seals may have leaked because of positive axle case air pressure. That's what caused my leaks. When, upon discovering this air pressure when removing the filler cap and realizing that this might be the reason (this realization coming only after replacing the first of the two), I left the other one as is and it never leaked again. So, since my tractor operates in a dry environment and is kept in a closed building, I drilled a vent hole in the filler cap. Problem solved!

Reactions: 1 user

mmurray70

Mar 8, 2020
Newfoundland,Canada
Thanks for the reply Dave, you are right, they do come apart with considerable effort. Still not 100% impressed with this design.

More recent VINs use a 6C360-56220 seal. The B2650 and current model LX 2610 models use this seal too. I got my dealer to order a set of these in and they are the same style that I removed from my machine. Not sure why the parts diagrams specified a different type for me? In any case I like this style seal better, looks to have a better designed wiper to keep dirt out. Dimensions appear to be the same so Im going to try and use these. If there is any issue ill post back. Thanks again for the help.