B2401

robin416

Equipment
B2401
Apr 30, 2021
Alabama
A couple of issues. First is shifting. Yep, I prefer manual shift. What I'm running into frequently is having to double clutch. Anyone else have this issue?

The hood latch on the bottom end is awful. I have to tie a cord to it, stand on the cord to keep the latch open then raise the hood. Anyone got a fix for that.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you have a standard shift on a tractor you normally select the gear in which you will be operating before setting the tractor in motion. You do not upshift as you would a car or truck. The same is true of an HST tractor - select the desired range then use the treadle from there. I know nothing about your hood latch but it sounds like your spring may be too strong or it is not adjusted correctly.

Tacos

Equipment
2401dt
Jan 30, 2021
NC
I have the 2401. You are not supposed to shift on the fly as there are no synchros. I am loving the gear shift. A lot quieter than a HST. I use it for loader work and mowing my yard with a 3 point finish mower alot. Sucked at first but once you get used to it, its great.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
A couple of issues. First is shifting. Yep, I prefer manual shift. What I'm running into frequently is having to double clutch. Anyone else have this issue?

The hood latch on the bottom end is awful. I have to tie a cord to it, stand on the cord to keep the latch open then raise the hood. Anyone got a fix for that.
Hello Robin,

The attached video may be of interest. It seems that you have company with the hood latch issue.

robin416

Equipment
B2401
Apr 30, 2021
Alabama
I do know about the not shifting on the fly. I can have the thing give me trouble shifting having just started it and refusing to shift into gear. That's when I have to double clutch it to shift. And I have to be careful or it will crunch gears.

I've gotten "you must be" from the dealer when none of what they said must be is true. Even their guy who picked the tractor up had it happen. They sent it home telling me they found not reason for needing to double clutch.

robin416

Equipment
B2401
Apr 30, 2021
Alabama
Hello Robin,

The attached video may be of interest. It seems that you have company with the hood latch issue.

I did see that video about the hood latch. I don't think I'll be manufacturing anything like that to fix the latch issue.

Tacos

Equipment
2401dt
Jan 30, 2021
NC
I do know about the not shifting on the fly. I can have the thing give me trouble shifting having just started it and refusing to shift into gear. That's when I have to double clutch it to shift. And I have to be careful or it will crunch gears.

I've gotten "you must be" from the dealer when none of what they said must be is true. Even their guy who picked the tractor up had it happen. They sent it home telling me they found not reason for needing to double clutch.

I think that's normal. Mine does the same thing from time to time.

Reactions: 1 user

jbolt001

Equipment
B2401, LA435, BB1254, Qick Hitch, Straw Rake, Debris Forks
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon

Double clutching is normal for a non-synchro transmission moving or not. With double clutching I find it possible to shift on the fly in 2wd depending on the conditions / terrane. In 4wd I find there is too much drag within the system to shift on the fly but I only use 4wd when I need additional traction and that is not typically a situation where I would need to shift anyway.

Never had an issue with the hood latch.

robin416

Equipment
B2401
Apr 30, 2021
Alabama
Almost three years later here is what has happened. The double clutching thing is more of a memory. I do still have to double clutch every one in a while but for the most part it's done with.

Makes me think there is some manufacturing burrs that need to be worn off. Or I killed the gremlin.

The hood latch. Same deal. The more I use it, the less trouble it gives me. It's still a bad design though. It should be in front of the hood so a 73 yr old woman doesn't have to struggle to hold the release and pop the hood at the same time.