B22320 stopped running

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
How did it stop? Just.. BAM, not running, like it was shut off? Or did it stumble a bit first? Does it start again? Or is it just dead now?

Diesels need 3 things to start and run:

• Air
  • Fuel
  • Compression

Air is usually pretty easy. A clogged air filter can rob you of power, but it would have to be pretty bad to stop things.

Compression doesn't usually go away instantly. If it does, there's usually a lot of noise with it.

That leaves us with fuel. A clogged filter (some tractors have two filters) can give you grief. If it stumbled a bit then died, my money would be on the filters.

But if it died suddenly, I'd take a good look at the fuel shut-off valve. If it fails and shuts off fuel, it's all over.

Hard to say without more info about how it failed.

Billbo

Equipment
B2320 HST
Jan 4, 2022
South Louisiana
How did it stop? Just.. BAM, not running, like it was shut off? Or did it stumble a bit first? Does it start again? Or is it just dead now?

Diesels need 3 things to start and run:

• Air
  • Fuel
  • Compression

Air is usually pretty easy. A clogged air filter can rob you of power, but it would have to be pretty bad to stop things.

Compression doesn't usually go away instantly. If it does, there's usually a lot of noise with it.

That leaves us with fuel. A clogged filter (some tractors have two filters) can give you grief. If it stumbled a bit then died, my money would be on the filters.

But if it died suddenly, I'd take a good look at the fuel shut-off valve. If it fails and shuts off fuel, it's all over.

Hard to say without more info about how it failed.
thanks for your reply. I always dont give enough info.. The little tractor was running fine as usual. Then, while using it to move some tree iimbs, it just died. I was startled as to why! It did start right back up and ran another about10 mins then stopped again.. It actually acted as if I lifted up from the seat - but I didnt. Second time it stopped, I started it back up after ~30 seconds. Thats when I put it up and left it in the shop where i keep it. it did NOT spit or sputter - engine just stopped like some sort of safety switch??

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It will help you if you do a little investigating and determine if your engine stop solenoid is powered constantly for the engine to run OR it is powered for a few seconds to stop the engine.

The next time you have it running, disconnect the electrical connector to the solenoid and see what happens.
The engine may stop immediately meaning it is powered to run.
The engine may continue to run and turning the key OFF does not stop the engine. Now you know that the solenoid is only powered for a few seconds to stop.

Once you know this operating strategy, the next time it stops, disconnect the solenoid.

Tell us if you can get it to restart easily.

Dave

Billbo

Equipment
B2320 HST
Jan 4, 2022
South Louisiana
It will help you if you do a little investigating and determine if your engine stop solenoid is powered constantly for the engine to run OR it is powered for a few seconds to stop the engine.

The next time you have it running, disconnect the electrical connector to the solenoid and see what happens.
The engine may stop immediately meaning it is powered to run.
The engine may continue to run and turning the key OFF does not stop the engine. Now you know that the solenoid is only powered for a few seconds to stop.

Once you know this operating strategy, the next time it stops, disconnect the solenoid.

Tell us if you can get it to restart easily.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Im not sure what you are saying about a 'stop solenoid' where is this stop switch located?

Billbo

Equipment
B2320 HST
Jan 4, 2022
South Louisiana
thank you all for replies. I still have no idea what happened. i believe it may have stopped running due to some sort of 'safety kill switch' ??? Thats what it seemed like to me anyway. but I have no idea why it killed???

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks Dave. Im not sure what you are saying about a 'stop solenoid' where is this stop switch located?
On a gasoline engine you stop it by cutting electricity to the spark plugs.
On a diesel you stop the engine but stopping the supply of fuel into the cylinders.
On old diesels the operator had a manual lever cable arrangement to cut the fuel.
Newer engines with safety switches use an electric solenoid to cut the fuel.
The small diaamter plunger on the right side of the photo below moves in and out.
I will provide a photo from Messicks and a parts illustration page.
forum B2320 stop solenoid.jpg

forum B2320 Stop Solenoid parts illus.jpg

This next is a page from the WSM describing in very poor English how this stop solenoid is used.
forum B2320 start and stop elec.jpg

Ask more questions if needed.

Dave

Billbo

Equipment
B2320 HST
Jan 4, 2022
South Louisiana
thanks Dave. that explains it pretty well. I did read where the seat switch has a tilt function. Just more info - while I was picking up small logs using 'clampon' forks, i did need to lean forward a bit to try to see forks (I know this is a bad deal) but looking back - that may have been when my engine cut out|off.