B2150 Steering Box Leak, Help with new seals

Cowboy Dave

Equipment
B2150, RTV900
Jun 30, 2020
USA
My B2150 HST is leaking from the steering box at output shaft connected to pitman arm. I need help getting old seal out and installing new one. I have removed the pitman arm and am awaiting my new seal order from dealer Thanks

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I believe that's a soft seal which fits into a recess.... not like a car held in with a snap ring. That means the sector shaft has to come out from the other side... which means one more o-ring. Keep everything nearly sterile during replacement... wrong place for dirt.

Both the sector and the pitman arm need to go back where they came from... mark them if they're not before removing them.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My B2150 HST is leaking from the steering box at output shaft connected to pitman arm. I need help getting old seal out and installing new one. I have removed the pitman arm and am awaiting my new seal order from dealer Thanks
Manual or power steering?
The best way is to remove the sector shaft then access the old seal from the inside of the steering box.

A different approach would see you trying to force a thin screwdriver blade between the outer edge of the seal and the metal gearbox casting. You are trying to distort the seal so you can pry it out.

Lastly, although the seal is covered in rubber, its strength comes from an internal metal shell. Drill small holes in the seal, try and start sheet metal screws into the inner metal of the seal and then pry out the seal using the two screws.

What ever approach you decide to use, avoid scratching up the bore where the new seal will sit.

Dave

Cowboy Dave

Equipment
B2150, RTV900
Jun 30, 2020
USA
The box is power steering. I have seen on you tube the screw method but I thought surely there must be a more professional method. I do appreciate all advice though and I may develop the confidence to try that.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The only thing you're going to get from the outside is a dust seal. It's not held in by a snap ring ... if it can be pulled with a screw, or pried with a screwdriver, there's no way it's going to hold back 1000-3000 psi of hyd fluid (depending on conditions). That seal is not causing your leak. Both the parts diagram and WSM (kubotabooks.com) are available for your machine. You'll need it for adjustments after assy.
40 is the pressure seal
50 is dust and mud
180 is the other o-ring you'll need

Last edited: