B2150 not starting, I know nothing, need help

startingfromzero

Equipment
B2150
May 24, 2021
Oregon
Hello and thanks for reading.

I inherited a B2150 from my dad, he passed away 2 1/2 years ago and knew everything about tractors. I'm an overeducated librarian who has avoided all manual labor when possible since I left home. I need to mow a few acres of pasture and this Kubota is what dad used.

I haven't tried to start it in over a year, it's been parked out behind the house. The dash lights have never worked since it's been in my family so I can't tell if they are getting power. I put in a new battery and tried to start it yesterday. When I turn the key I hear a couple of clicks but nothing is turning over. After I opened the hood I noticed a hose was corroded and broken, it looks like it went to the stop solenoid. I think I need to replace the solenoid, would this cause it to not turn over? I have some pictures if they would help.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Pics would help. You’re much more likely to get accurate info with good pics.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Hose or wire? I don’t see any broken anything in the pictures.

The stop solenoid should not stop it from turning over but a corroded safety switch or connector would stop it from cranking.

How mechanically inclined are you? Do you know how to “jump the starter “ to see if it cranks (bypassing all safety switches so somewhat dangerous)

You could take starter off and to a auto parts store to test, but I think you have a safety switch problem.

Hold the key in the crank position and move the speed pedal back and forth slowly to see if it hits a spot that activates the starter. There are other switches that may be in the no starter position but I am not familiar with your tractor at all. Do you have any idea where they are or have the operations manual?

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin

KMoJo

Equipment
B2150, G1900
Jan 18, 2020
Granger, Texas, United States
Make sure you tightened the terminal ends till they are snug to the battery posts, clean them of corrosion. Make sure the other end of the terminal wires are snug to the starter (positive+) and transmission (ground-), clean them of corrosion.

it’s either:
wiring is not making good connection (loose or corroded)
battery is discharged
starter switch malfunctioning, maybe corroded starter switch wiring
starter malfunctionin.

Last edited:

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
In the first post it was stated a new battery was installed. Also no replies since it was posted back in May. Maybe its fixed. We may never know.

startingfromzero

Equipment
B2150
May 24, 2021
Oregon
Thanks for all the help. A guy helping out with some other projects told me he was able to start it. So I must be doing something wrong, he won't be back for about a week to show me what he did.

When I go to start it I make sure everything is in neutral, press down the clutch and brake pedals, turn the key to the left for the glow plugs, after about 15 seconds I turn to the right to the Start position and nothing happens. Is there another pedal or button I need to use or am I missing something else>?

I really am a novice and appreciate any thing that can dumb down the process for me.

Fishhook

Equipment
B2650HSDC, QH-10; RB-1572; BB-1566; 72" MMM, RC-2060; SCG-0554; PFL-3042; B2782b
Jun 15, 2021
Alaska
Step 1. Call your local Kubota Dealer and have them fix your dad's tractor.
Step 2. Go back to the library where your comfortable and know what your doing.
Step 3. Relax and don't get frustrated

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks for all the help. A guy helping out with some other projects told me he was able to start it. So I must be doing something wrong, he won't be back for about a week to show me what he did.

When I go to start it I make sure everything is in neutral, press down the clutch and brake pedals, turn the key to the left for the glow plugs, after about 15 seconds I turn to the right to the Start position and nothing happens. Is there another pedal or button I need to use or am I missing something else>?

I really am a novice and appreciate any thing that can dumb down the process for me.
Not that familiar with your tractor but what you say you are doing sounds correct unless there is another safety switch that you are not aware of. I would video him starting it so that you can see everything he is doing when it cranks over.

Watch both feet and both hands and ask questions. It sounds like a safety switch isn’t being set correctly

Reactions: 1 user

Fishhook

Equipment
B2650HSDC, QH-10; RB-1572; BB-1566; 72" MMM, RC-2060; SCG-0554; PFL-3042; B2782b
Jun 15, 2021
Alaska
There's an episode of the ANDY GRIFFITH show where Aunt Bee tries to fix an old freezer. Andy tells her about 20 times to "call the man". Just call the man

KMoJo

Equipment
B2150, G1900
Jan 18, 2020
Granger, Texas, United States
You might really enjoy figuring out your Dad’s old tools. You are never going to match his proficiency, but who cares, and I’d bet he would think it’s super cool that your are figuring it out. That’s the fun. It’s enjoyable, that’s why each of us are here. It’s friggin therapy.

There is a lot of great information at the library. Heck you might be at a better starting point than most of us had.

Keep trying to find that safety switch that isn’t aligned, find them and figure out how they are actuated. Check the battery. Check the wires. Get yourself a book, I’m sure you know how to find them.

I sent you two post above, one includes a page of troubleshootin. At the bottom of that page is a good place to start. Get that book for your tractor, and get the parts illustrated book for your tractor. Kubota does a great job, most of time, of giving step by step instructions. If you can’t figure out what they are saying, just ask here.

Kubota B2150 Work Shop Manual (WSM)
Kubota B2150 Parts Illustrated

Its going to take work and patience, a lifetime of it. Build your repertoire.

Ask, ask, ask.

image.jpg