B2100 - various questions all needing your help!

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
Hi everyone,

just joined this excellent forum and looking forward, if I can, to contributing.

I bought a B2100 a couple of years ago - it had, at the time about 1100hrs on the clock...I think

Now 2 years on I realise that I need to get a better understanding of this excellent machine.

I did have the manuals, but hunt as I might they seem to have gone "missing". I'm sure they will turn up but without them I am at a loss for various things, some of which you may be able to help me with;

1) First of all I have grass tyres. What is the pressure that I should be putting in front and back?

2) I have a 60" deck which it came with and wanted to disconnect and check the blades. When the deck is on the ground, can I reverse the tractor over it as seems to be shown on youtube videos?

3) I need the Kubota part numbers for fuel, oil and air filter...as need to purchase replacements. Any suggestions for after market rather than Kubota that are as good?

4) How much oil and what type is there in it as standard? The tractor only gets used in hot, dusty summer conditions.

5) The tractor sits garaged and idle during the winter. Apart from keeping the battery charged and cycling, should I be doing anything else to keep it "happy"?

6) It has recently been struggling cutting tall grass - I also have a rear pto mounted flail mower. Although it starts fine, when the flail is engaged and I hit either a slope or thick bramble I end up stalling with lots of black smoke. The tractor is in desperate need of a service, as have used it for approx 120hrs of very dusty work, so could it potentially be that the fuel filter needs changing? Does this affect power when under load?

So many questions, but very new to this so my huge appreciation for any tips and tricks that you "pros" can give.:)

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Your post must've fallen through the cracks. Happens occasionally. Also that's a fairly rare machine.
Kubota's website oughta be able to give you the part numbers and capacities. If it doesn't let me know and I'll screen shot the page. Also see if you can find the exact model number for your deck, it'll be something like RCB60-24B.

For tire pressure look at the tires and they'll have a max pressure listed on them. Correct pressure is probably close to the maximum. Cars have the pressures on a sticker inside the door but you may not find one on a tractor.

You want a 40 weight diesel engine oil for your machine. A 15W-40 or in colder climates 5W-40 is what is usually used on this side of the pond. The brand choice is up to you.

Keeping the battery topped off is a great thing. Might also be a good idea to pour in some antigel additive during the winter though I don't know about the fuel nor how cold it gets where you are.

I'd change the air filter first since you work in dusty conditions and you're seeing a lack of power.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your post must've fallen through the cracks. Happens occasionally. Also that's a fairly rare machine.
Kubota's website oughta be able to give you the part numbers and capacities. If it doesn't let me know and I'll screen shot the page. Also see if you can find the exact model number for your deck, it'll be something like RCB60-24B.

For tire pressure look at the tires and they'll have a max pressure listed on them. Correct pressure is probably close to the maximum. Cars have the pressures on a sticker inside the door but you may not find one on a tractor.

You want a 40 weight diesel engine oil for your machine. A 15W-40 or in colder climates 5W-40 is what is usually used on this side of the pond. The brand choice is up to you.

Keeping the battery topped off is a great thing. Might also be a good idea to pour in some antigel additive during the winter though I don't know about the fuel nor how cold it gets where you are.

I'd change the air filter first since you work in dusty conditions and you're seeing a lack of power.
Welcome to OTT!
I second all that Stumpy said, and I will add that you should go ahead and change your fuel filter. I am assuming by your post that you haven't serviced it since you bought it, so it is due. Plus, who knows when the previous owner last serviced the fuel and air filter? They are cheap enough that it should be done. I put about 50-60 hours a year on my tractor, so I change the oil, check the air filter (I don't work in a very dusty environment), and change the fuel filter.
I would suggest, in the winter, that you start it once a month or so, and let it get up to operating temperature. This is good for the oil, keeps things coated internally, charges the battery, and runs fresh fuel through the system. I would also be using an additive to keep bacteria from growing in the fuel. Also, you should fill the fuel tank up before storing, so that condensation can't form. Bacteria grows anytime there is water present.
Not all mower decks are designed to be driven over for mounting/dismounting. I would assume that yours isn't, until you learn more about it. The decks that can be driven over are designed for that, and strengthened to take the abuse.
That's all that I can answer- I'm sure that others will fill in the gaps, as the post gets noticed. Again, welcome, and we look forward to getting to know you better.
I sold a set of stabilizers to a fellow in England, who keeps his tractor in France. You wouldn't be him by chance, would you?

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
I sold a set of stabilizers to a fellow in England, who keeps his tractor in France. You wouldn't be him by chance, would you?
Sounds like me!! Mark? Excellent stabilisers and work brilliantly....In fact dare I say it, best part of the tractor! Can't recommend you or the stabilisers highly enough! :D

Thank you both for the input above, very helpful, although not sure that I can find a tyre pressure reading on the side of the tyres, as I've looked, but will look again...Just thought that someone might know straight off.

I've found out that there are 3 different air filters depending on the model number of B2100....and of course being currently in the UK and the tractor being in France I have no way of checking at the moment either the air filter that's in there or the serial number of the tractor. Not knowing the serial number also stops me from joining the Kubota UK forum too.

Last edited:

Retlaw66

Equipment
L275, B2100
Apr 28, 2013
Eastern Pa
Hello Rich,
I purchased a B2100 just a few months ago to keep my old L275 company! I'll be using it for lighter-duty use such as mowing and errands around my property.

The manual states the turf tires should be inflated to 22 psi/150kPa front, and the rears 20 psi/14o kPa. If you are on bumpy terrain, you can reduce the pressure to cushion the ride.
The manual doesn't list part numbers for the filters, but you can visit a site such as Messicks for the info:
http://www.messicks.com/TractorParts/Kubota/B2100.aspx

Substitute filters may be available. Visit the manufacturer of your choice and see if they have an interchange for the Kubota numbers.