B2100 hydraulics -- FEL slow to lower, and three point "flaky"

MarkVII

Equipment
B2100 w/loader
Apr 18, 2011
Troy, MI
Greeting all --

I have an issue with my B2100 tractor with hydro drive and loader. Things had gone well with the loader until recently, when a strange quirk appeared. Also, the three point developed a quirk.

FEL raises, rolls back and dumps fine, but is painfully slow to lower. Lower-and-dump and lower-and-rollback work at normal speed.

Also, the three point doesn't want to raise sometimes. When this happens, if I dump and rollback the FEL once or twice the three point will then raise. Strange quirk.

I've checked the fluid level and it's OK. Haven't changed the fluid and filter, but I understand that it was fresh when I bought the tractor.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If you have quick disconnects on the hydraulic lines going to the loader disconnect and reseat each one. When a loader starts acting funny it is usually the quick disconnects.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I doubt that the fluid condition is your culprit, but I would say don't assume that the oil and filter are good. At the least, check the fluid (is it clear and clean looking, and at the correct level?), and change that filter. For no more than what a filter costs, I wouldn't trust the word of a previous owner.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I'd dump the hydro fluid and replace with new filters and a clean screen, if it has one. Either way, you'll know what you are working with at that point and your tractor will be happy, especially if you do the same with engine oil, flush the radiator and do the air filter.

Starting with a healthy air/lube/hydraulic and coolant baseline is the only way to go on a used machine. If this doesn't fix it you can probe further for a control valve problem, quick disconnect fitting or whatever.

MarkVII

Equipment
B2100 w/loader
Apr 18, 2011
Troy, MI
B2100 hydraulics -- FEL slow to lower, and three point "flaky" -- an update

Hello everyone and thanks for the suggestions. An update from my end.

Fluid looks clear and clean. I put on a fresh filter and topped up the fluid. Disconnected and reconnected the quick connects on the loader hydraulic lines. I also cleaned and lubed the linkages at the loader control joystick, because they were a bit sticky. (I had given the tractor an overall going-over after buying it, though did not change the hydraulic fluid. Was trying to stay away from buying a bunch of Super UDT2.)

At this point, the loader is unchanged. It raises, dumps and rolls back just fine. It will lower and dump at the same time, and same with lower and roll back. It lowers in the float position ok, but still painfully slow lowering under power without also using dump or roll back. I'd swear I can hear the relief valve when trying to lower. Didn't get to do much with the three point, but it picked right up when I started the tractor.

This problem started quite suddenly. I can't help but wonder if there's a bit of crud in the works some place and lodged in a passage. Maybe the control valve?

Any thoughts?

Thanks a million. Mark