B20 Trans problem???? Please!!!!

Walt

Equipment
B20 TL 420A
Dec 6, 2013
Owensburg, Indiana
Spent 3 hr's digging out a stump yesterday with my B20 BH. I go to move the tractor, put it in med range and it moves 20-30 feet and starts a grinding/clicking noise and won't move. I could not make the rattling stop. No forward, no reverse, no neutral, just a rattling/grinding/clicking sort of racket. Clutch pedal, hydro pedal no change, I shut it off, moved the range selector all over the place, started it up and it moved another 20 ft and did the same senaro again. I let it set an hr or so, went back fired it up and it runs perfect, no issue. This morning I pulled it in the barn running as it should. I am kinda freaked out, sounded horrible. What would cause this to not fully engage in gear or seem to jump out of gear and not shift or move?? Seemed like something heat related or so I am hoping as it worked fine after a cool down.
Could really use some good advice..We are transforming virgin wooded property to hopefully move to some day. This Kubota is our life blood at the moment..Thanks for any thoughts, Walt

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the clutch is letting loose, a clutch that throws part of the friction material or some other part of it can do it in stages and heat will effect it.

I'll do a little more digging into the lay out of trans parts but I'm going to start with clutch problem.

Update:
Looking at the schematics, is it an HST model, looked like they all were?
The fact that it was hot and caused problems and then when it cooled it seams to work fine would lead me to believe a fluid, filter, or HST problem.
How long has it been since a complete filter and fluid change?

Last edited:

Walt

Equipment
B20 TL 420A
Dec 6, 2013
Owensburg, Indiana
This is my first Kubota, I bought it used with 980hr's. I will go ahead and change out the hydro/trans oil and filters. I did an engine oil change and radiation flush.
I also have a question about the clutch. The only function I see with it is a safety switch for starting the machine up. It seems to do nothing else. While driving forward I can depress the clutch pedal and it keeps going unless I neutral the HST pedal????. I would think it would coast so to speak. I also have been shifting the range selector from a stop and the clutch pedal doesn't seen to do anything while shifting from one range to another. I have got to the point where I only use it at start up's. Does this seem correct...Walt

Teese

Equipment
B20
Jul 19, 2013
Lynden, WA
Walt, I am also a newbie to a B20 (since last July) so take anything from me with a grain of salt ... my understanding (and use) is that the clutch is used for shifting in/out of PTO and 4WD. I've never tried changing speed ranges on the fly and I depress the clutch when making range changes ... but perhaps I do not need to for range changes (or maybe even in/out of 4WD).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is my first Kubota, I bought it used with 980hr's. I will go ahead and change out the hydro/trans oil and filters. I did an engine oil change and radiation flush.
I also have a question about the clutch. The only function I see with it is a safety switch for starting the machine up. It seems to do nothing else. While driving forward I can depress the clutch pedal and it keeps going unless I neutral the HST pedal????. I would think it would coast so to speak. I also have been shifting the range selector from a stop and the clutch pedal doesn't seen to do anything while shifting from one range to another. I have got to the point where I only use it at start up's. Does this seem correct...Walt
Nope not right, clutch or clutch parts are Toast!
You need to split it and do some R/R work on it!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's actually a fairly easy job.
If you need more info just ask. ;)

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
Hi guys, I think Wolfman sounds right. As for clutch, when you push it in you should have no HST function! You can put it in 4 wheel drive without pushing clutch just neutral the HST pedal. the same for changing ranges. Not sure about pto. My hoe is never off, I just dig.

Walt

Equipment
B20 TL 420A
Dec 6, 2013
Owensburg, Indiana
I am beginning to think the clutch in this is bad but, I am not used to seeing mechanical problems being intermittent like I had last week. I think there's more to my problem than just the clutch. I have been running this like it is since I got it which it not much. I have not used the clutch except to bypass the safety switch to start it. I actually thought it was the way it works till it stopped moving and started making the clattering noise. When it cooled down it was back to normal and I went back to digging. Hummm???
The clutch acts like it will not release and seems locked up engaged. As long as it'll move it'll dig. I hope it holds up long enough to get water and electric trenches dug and then I'll start a plan to split this thing and fix it. I really appreciate this forum and you guys offering guidance. Thanks for reading this stuff and posting, I got a lot to learn. Walt