B20 hydraulic leak

Dbones

Equipment
B20
Dec 29, 2012
Rhododendron Oregon
Yes the local dealer quoted me 1,941.00 for new stearing unit, that is over the counter price. I talked to a Kubota shop that I feel is very honest, it's a two hour drive one way. They will look at it and give me a quote on rebuilding it. The tech was very helpful on the phone, willing to talk about the unit and how to remove it. I love the B20 and want it done right!

budmanroch

Equipment
B20 with a backblade, ripper blade, and York rake
Jan 27, 2013
Honeoye Falls, NY
I have a B20 with a leaking power steering box too. Last year I pulled the box out and replaced the top seal and the rubbers that keep the steering shaft centered. It stopped leaking for a few months but now its back. I looked at the shaft and it looks like it is worn where the seal rubs on it. I also wonder if there is a high pressure seal further down inside that keeps the higher pressure in. The top seal can't be rated for that much pressure. I'm thinking of disassembling mine to replace that shaft, but I'm not excited about taking the risk of losing a bunch of balls from the recirculating part of the box..... Please post how you got yours fixed, I would like to hear about it. The cheapest I have found a new box for is $1,500. I'm in the middle of $2000 engine rebuild, so I can't afford anything else at the moment.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Rebuilding it is a bit of work but if you're mechanically included and have a little experience past changing oil it's well within reach. If you lose some of the steering balls (or they're damaged) you can order more fairly cheaply. McMaster carries them, you'll just need to identify the size which could be done with any steel ruler with a metric scale or a cheap set of hardware store calipers. The ones in my L175 box are 5.5mm I believe.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Take a look on the kubota parts website for the expanded parts diagram. The B20 has a much more complicated steering box than like a b7100 that I recently rebuilt. I am not saying that you could not do rebuild it. However I would want to do some research in a service manual before taking it apart. There are many more parts than in SD Vic's video on steering box rebuilding.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ahh, didn't realize it was a PS unit. Agreed I'd probably want to check the procedure first but it shouldn't be too much more complicated than making sure everything goes back the way it came out.

Dbones

Equipment
B20
Dec 29, 2012
Rhododendron Oregon
Hey Budmanroch
The shop rebuilt the unit including the shaft it alone was $620, total bill was $850. I have a list of parts they replaced if that would help. Side note spent 3 years at Griffis AFB Rome NY, loved upstate.

drakeejohnson

Equipment
Kubota B20
Oct 4, 2013
SPICEWOOD, TX
Last edited: