B20 front end loader hydraulic issue

Operator

Equipment
1992 Kubota B20
Apr 17, 2021
Maine
B20 front end loader weeps or drops down when I feather the control valve slightly. Also if I stand the front end up off the ground with the loader it will not hold it up. Any ideas whats going on? Just installed a brand new control valve. Have also done a complete service recently. Any help is appreciated!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
B20 front end loader weeps or drops down when I feather the control valve slightly. Also if I stand the front end up off the ground with the loader it will not hold it up. Any ideas whats going on? Just installed a brand new control valve. Have also done a complete service recently. Any help is appreciated!
You have a leak in the lift circuit. Did this problem exist before you installed the new valve?

Dab

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It did. No visible leaks though.
Odd. Let me be sure i understand the behavior. If you use down pressure on the loader arms it will lift the front wheels off the ground but when the loader valve is placed back in neutral the lift cylinder retracts rather than holds. Is that correct?

Dan

Operator

Equipment
1992 Kubota B20
Apr 17, 2021
Maine
Odd. Let me be sure i understand the behavior. If you use down pressure on the loader arms it will lift the front wheels off the ground but when the loader valve is placed back in neutral the lift cylinder retracts rather than holds. Is that correct?

Dan
Yes, it retracts by its own weight till the tires hit the ground. I thought ram rebuild but theyve been done and that doesnt answer the issue with the control valve

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, it retracts by its own weight till the tires hit the ground. I thought ram rebuild but theyve been done and that doesnt answer the issue with the control valve
Bad cylinder piston seals can't cause drift in that direction so I ruled thst out immediately. The oil has to be escaping the cylinder someplace for the rod to retract. Normally I would suspect the valve but thats new and the problem existed before it was installed.

That base end oil is going somewhere. Are you 100% poitive the base end hoses do not have a pinhole leak? How fast does the tractor drop when you raise it off the ground with the loader?

Dan

Operator

Equipment
1992 Kubota B20
Apr 17, 2021
Maine
Bad cylinder piston seals can't cause drift in that direction so I ruled thst out immediately. The oil has to be escaping the cylinder someplace for the rod to retract. Normally I would suspect the valve but thats new and the problem existed before it was installed.

That base end oil is going somewhere. Are you 100% poitive the base end hoses do not have a pinhole leak? How fast does the tractor drop when you raise it off the ground with the loader?

Dan

As fast as it takes for the fluid to return to the tank. No leaks, all new hoses

Operator

Equipment
1992 Kubota B20
Apr 17, 2021
Maine
Are you saying its immeiate? Like you move the valve to float?

Dan

As soon as I let go of the control it sits back on the ground.
Now if the arms are up in the air it holds but like I said if I feather the control it weeps down

Last edited: