B1700 Starting Issues

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I used to have a B1700 that i traded for a L3240 6 month ago.
I also had the clicking when trying to start the B1700. Just had to turn the key several times to get it to fire up. I replaced the solenoid without success.Good clean batterie/ good grounds....nothing i done helped.
I eventually bought the low voltage relay kit by JD kit # AM107421 i had read about and all my starting problems where history.
Hope this helps
Wiring instructions are included. I did not have to cut or splice any wires.

Last edited:

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
What I would probably do is buy a female spade connector attach a short length of wire to it, plug in your wire from your switch..then go from that new short piece of wire to a connector where you can attach the new short wire and the new wire from the John Deere part. Then you don't have to cut your existing wire at all. they do make some connectors now where you can push both wires in and crimp down..they have dioelectric grease already in them..they work pretty good.

BUZ

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Del,

Where are you connecting the new relay part...down by the starter? or under the instrument panel? I just can't imagine you having a factory plastic connection like that at the solinoid? Hmmmm...Well answer away..and we will see what we can do....Keep goin till we get it right..

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Buz

I am connecting down by the starter. If your starter switch wire has spade connector, it will not attach directly to the new wire, I don't think.

Del

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
78 Vette
what color was your switch wire and what type of connector did it have? Mine is a 2 part plastic con. with one clipping into the other. Connector on new wire will not fit it.
Del

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
The factory connection..is what I am speaking of..is it at the solinoid...or before it? Mine might have that factory snap type connection before the solinoid..but right at the solinoid is a spade connector right onto the solinoid.

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Picture did come through....white wire is switch wire(think it is) and has white insert connector that you see. purple wire connector is suppose to attach to other end of white connect. Does not fit.
Would appear I need to change end of purple connector somehow or maybe connect the white to purple wire with butt connector. Any other ideas?

Del

Attachments

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Del,

By the picture, it looks as if someone has already put a different end on the white wire which if it were me, I would cut the white wire and the purple one and put a butt connector on. If you ever have to hook it up back the otherway, you could always get rid of that factory snap connection and put two new spade terminals on.
That is different with the 'O' connector at the end of the white wire, as I stated mine has a spade connector at the end going to the solenoid. Possible different solinoids..

BUZ

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
DEL,

One other thing, the purple connector will not slip into the existing factory connection that is still on the tractor...unless backwards...male/female ends??

BUZ

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Sure dont remember the colors but i found this. Hope it helps

Red wire goes to battery terminal of the starter.
Black wire goes to ground.
You plug the black/white lead that would normally go to your starter to the male purple connector of the relay and the female connector purple lead to the starter

Attachments

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
Del,

What 78Vette shows looks good...same setup as mine....with spade terminals and all..

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Does the switch connector go to the small post on solenoid? I hope so because I just cut and butt joined the small white wire to my purple wire. Need to try it out. Some people are talking about the starter switch wire so wonder if I already screwed up.
del

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
Buz
where does the wire lead from that has the spade terminal on it? and what does the end of this wire normally connecto to? (solenoid end)
thanks,
Del

buzter

Aug 7, 2010
SD
My wire that has the spade terminal on it that is connected to the solinoid goes back to the key...like I stated previously it does go thru a bunch of saftey switches also. Can you send a picture of what you have everyone can look at it? Also does yours look like 78Vette's?

BUZ

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
I played around with it and it does turn over, still clicking though at times, when the purple wire to blade connection is disconnected and old wire is put back on.
It turns over but does not start. third lamp goes out almost right away when turning over. believe this lamp has to do with engine oil pressure.

picture shows solenoid with out hook ups.
Del

Attachments

orange1021

Aug 28, 2010
champaign, IL
the light bulb came on...the two purple wires simply make a loop for the starter wire, correct? not sure what white wire was for but need to redo that wire and hopefully it will start...feel so dumb but I'm learning
Del