B1600 no charging light

armstrongrv

Equipment
B1600 rotovator and loader
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
I have a B1600 with a D950 engine. when the switch is in the ignition on position the charge light no longer comes on with the engine not running. all other functions work. The oil light comes on and go's off when the engine starts. The glow plugs work ok and the engine starts and runs. Now to the crooks of the problem. from the wiring diagram there is a voltage regulator and a thing called a charger unit. If I put 12 v across the charging light it works so that rules that out. What is the charger unit and what is it doing it looks like the yellow wire is the trigger and as the revs go up I think the voltage came down and if I remember with the switch on I think there is about 10 volts. the parts book that I have calls it a BOX PN 67111 5525-1 and then you have the regulator 155316460-2. Is the Box just a relay that switches off when the voltage drops on the yellow wire. Any recommendations appreciated.
Capture.PNG

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I see you are from Scotland. You need to realize that in North America your B1600 was never imported by Kubota and never supported by Kubota USA or Kubota Canada. Tractors like yours are considered GRAY market and I would suggest you post in that section of the forum in hopes of finding someone with the same or similar tractor.

There is a list of equivalent North American models which would be a B8200DT.

However, the charging system wiring you have provided is not like the one on a B8200 which would have one regulator/rectifier unlike the 2 boxes you have. Initally I thought the 3 way was a component but actually it is just a plug connector in the wiring harness

What I can tell you is that the dynamo puts out an Alternating Current voltage on its two wires. If you disconnect the dynamo and measure AC voltage between the two output wires you should see an AC voltage which increases with engine speed going to around 20 volts or more.

Unlike an alternator, there is no trigger wire to turn on the alternator. the dynamo is more like a system to power a bicycle light by rubbing on the side of a tire. A few permanent magnets rotating beside a coil of wire.

Usually with these boxes, there is no mechanical relay inside but rather electronic components like diodes and transistors.

If you have more technical info on the B1600 charging system I would be happy to look it over to see what advice I could provide you.

Dave

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I think that charger unit contains a couple of diodes. Unplug the 'Y' connector between the voltage regulator and charger unit. Measure the voltage on the regulator side. I think it should have >12 volts when the tractor is running and zero volts when the tractor is off but the ignition switch is on.

armstrongrv

Equipment
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
I think that charger unit contains a couple of diodes. Unplug the 'Y' connector between the voltage regulator and charger unit. Measure the voltage on the regulator side. I think it should have >12 volts when the tractor is running and zero volts when the tractor is off but the ignition switch is on.
With the y connector disconnected at low rpm I get just over 12 V and as the power increases the voltage go's into the 20+ volt range is this correct?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
With the y connector disconnected at low rpm I get just over 12 V and as the power increases the voltage go's into the 20+ volt range is this correct?
I think it is. Does it go to 0 with the key on and engine not running?
We haven't asked, does your charge system seem to function correctly other than the indicator?
Read the regulator output on the AC volt scale. There should be little AC voltage. Disconnect the regulator and check DC continuity from each LBl to the output (red on the diagram) and to ground. There should be continuity to one and open to the other.
Try grounding the Y lead on the charger unit with key on and engine off.
An aside: although the charge light on my L35 is functional, I have a USB charger that also has voltage display which plugs into a power outlet which I installed. This provides more information than the indicator light alone. If your tractor has a power outlet or you install one, you could do the same. But it won't repair your indicator, of course.

armstrongrv

Equipment
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
Ok I think the voltage regulator is the issue as the battery is not charging the part number is 15531-6460 are these still available as most now look to be a six wire. Can I do away with the charger unit and use one of these?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The owner of this B1502 did the best thing and installed a single wire alternator.

Alternator

If you are at all handy you end up with a reliable charging system of much more capacity for about the cost of the regulator/rectifier.

Search on eBay for a DENSO one wire alternator. Voltage regulator is built in. Only one wire to connect.

Dave

jonerik

Equipment
kubota B1502-M
Feb 18, 2021
norway
i mounted an extra alternator, and wired it up with new cables, all works great and its no issue to use the electric winch in the front:)

Attachments