B1550 main gear shift lever leaking

Monte888

Equipment
B5100E, B1550, New Holland TD95D
Sep 3, 2012
Mcallen, Tx
I ordered the oil seal for this but I'm not sure if I can do it. Any advise on what I need to take off and replace?
IMG_2580.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How good of a mechanic are you?
It's going to take a bit of skill to replace the seal, your going to have to pull the top of the shift housing off to get to the pin that holds the shaft in.
There is going to be 3 sets of shift forks that will come out when you pull the cover, and the trick is to reline everything up when you put it back together.
Get the service manual and go threw it piece by piece and step by step.;)

Your going to need to pull, it apart and remove pin #40 to get the shift rod to come out to get the seal in.
1550 shifter.JPG

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm not intimate with your machine model so please pardon if I've missed something.

But...

This sounds like something similar that we accomplished on a Kubota.

You don't mention if the oil seal is internal or if you're talking about the gasket between the cover and the transmission housing.

Consider that in either case you should have a replacement gasket on hand. I think you'll need it.

If you install a new pre-cut gasket between the cover and the housing (this in addition to an internal oil seal) my suggestion is to go back with a good soft-set gasket sealer completely coating both sides of the gasket. I use 'Form-A-Gasket' #2 Aviation type on almost everything.

However, if you find---as we did---that there is no gasket between the cover and housing (again, in addition to the internal oil seal you mention), my suggestion is to use a quality RTV silicone sealant. We typically use 'grey' colored because it matches our Kubota better than black, red, blue.

If you find the factory also used RTV you'll have to pry it apart without scarring the mating surface(s). Ensure cleanliness before reassembly. You can find an aerosol at most parts houses that will remove old RTV gasket material. Be cautious about dropping old gasketing, RTV, and aerosols into the inner workings.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Monte888

Equipment
B5100E, B1550, New Holland TD95D
Sep 3, 2012
Mcallen, Tx
Thanks for the info. Im good at taking anything apart, now putting back together is the problem. Im sure a hammer and screwdriver will do.

This is the other project I'm about to take on.
Kioti DK35 with a blown engine.
IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg