B1400 - Steering - how to mount new dust-covers?

alpinist

Equipment
B1400 DT
Aug 1, 2022
Germany
August 12th, 2022

Hello to everybody! I am new here. This is my very first posting today. Since some month I have a B1400, round about 40 years young :):

The rubber-made dust-covers on the joints of the steering-linkage are totally worn on my little Kubota B1400. I managed to find correct fitting new dust-covers and dismanteled the steering-linkage successfully. My problem now is, how to install the retaining rings (shaped like a spiral) which force the dust-covers to remain where they have to be ... Any advice would be helpful. I have a special tool from Knipex - called 45 21 200 - but I was not successful when I tried to install the retaining rings. Two pics are attached with some details ... Thank you all for your advice. I am sure, some of you solved this problem before and could tell me the trick?!

With best regards,

alpinist.

IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Can you open them up a bit, like a Slinky and start one end on, then 'lay down' the 'flat' edge.
Dang hard to explain...easy to do with tie rod end in sturdy vice.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here is what I think you should do...
I assume that the rubber part has a lip that fits into the groove of the cast iron part and the spiral is just round wire in a helix (spiral) of about three turns.
Get the rubber part installed properly all around.
Put the spiral in place over the tapered part and use a thumbnail to get the bottom end of the wire spiral into the proper position you want it to hold that rubber part in the groove.

Now use a small screwdriver to carefully work around the first layer of the spiral and push the wire into position. You need to be careful not to damage the rubber part or yourself with the screwdriver or whatever you want to use. Thumbnail might work or get ripped off depending on wire size.

Once around you need to be sure that the wire is about where you want it.

Then repeat for next layer until you are done with all layers of wire.

You may have to get a small pick involved to help you pull the spiral wire into position and a way to hold the part (vise) is very helpful

alpinist

Equipment
B1400 DT
Aug 1, 2022
Germany
Can you open them up a bit, like a Slinky and start one end on, then 'lay down' the 'flat' edge.
Dang hard to explain...easy to do with tie rod end in sturdy vice.
Finally, I solved it today … with some “force”. Thank you for your support!
😊 alpinist.

alpinist

Equipment
B1400 DT
Aug 1, 2022
Germany
Here is what I think you should do...
I assume that the rubber part has a lip that fits into the groove of the cast iron part and the spiral is just round wire in a helix (spiral) of about three turns.
Get the rubber part installed properly all around.
Put the spiral in place over the tapered part and use a thumbnail to get the bottom end of the wire spiral into the proper position you want it to hold that rubber part in the groove.

Now use a small screwdriver to carefully work around the first layer of the spiral and push the wire into position. You need to be careful not to damage the rubber part or yourself with the screwdriver or whatever you want to use. Thumbnail might work or get ripped off depending on wire size.

Once around you need to be sure that the wire is about where you want it.

Then repeat for next layer until you are done with all layers of wire.

You may have to get a small pick involved to help you pull the spiral wire into position and a way to hold the part (vise) is very helpful
Good evening! Finally I solved it - after understanding, that there is no special tool and no „trick“ besides some force on the spiral shaped retaining ring …
Thank you for your support!
😊 alpinist.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Kubota engineers love those spiral spring clamps

Glad you got them on

vjoug

Equipment
B1400, G21E
Apr 29, 2017
Lille, France
Hello,
Thanks for the tip

By the way do you have an item code for the rubber seal and where did you findthem?

BR